I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3542, which came with 8.1. I upgraded to 10, and before I even had a chance to make a recovery USB for 10, the laptop froze. It would take 15-30 minutes for any action to happen after any mouse click.

I have my recovery USB for 8.1, but, after I changed the boot sequence (to what I believe is correct), when it power on the pc, I get the white Dell logo for a few seconds, then get a line across the bottom of the screen, saying, "Loading files". Once that is complete, I get a blue Windows logo, and the rolling dots for about 5 seconds. Then, it goes to a blank screen, and remains that way.

I had to use the USB to restore my pc in 8.1 once, several months ago, and it worked fine. I am at a loss as to what to do next. There are pictures, documents, and videos that I truly don't want to lose, so refreshing would be fine, if I can't access the Windows 10 recovery option.

I would truly appreciate any help you can offer, as I'm a disabled senior on a fixed income, and I'd really like to be able to do this on my own, if possible. I'm not a novice on computers, but I'm no expert, by any means.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Respectfully,
    DC
    04-19-2016 04:29 PM
    In Windows 10, after you have 5 failed boots it shows the recovery menu.

So simply power on, let it fail to boot. Power off. Wait 10 seconds. Back on. Do this a few times and then you'll get some help.
    04-19-2016 10:10 PM