Effect of disabling background apps

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
How are you're experiences with disabeling background apps? I tried disabeling a few, but haven't really experienced any effect on either battery capacity or daily performance of the device. Also, I'm not really sure what disabeling apps like Phone or Messenger does, since I'm still able to receive phone calls and SMS. Anyone any tips or experiences with disabeling background apps? Does it have any effect? Or downsides?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
How are you're experiences with disabeling background apps? I tried disabeling a few, but haven't really experienced any effect on either battery capacity or daily performance of the device. Also, I'm not really sure what disabeling apps like Phone or Messenger does, since I'm still able to receive phone calls and SMS. Anyone any tips or experiences with disabeling background apps? Does it have any effect? Or downsides?

It's the first recommandation for a Windows Phone user disabling unused apps.

You must not disable main core apps (the ones with gears). If you disable Phone, incoming calls may appear as a number, not a People contact.
Messages could receive messages only when opening app.

Don't touch Phone, Messages, Call filter (for blocking unwanted numbers), Alarms, Calendar (or memos will not show on lockscreen), Updates.
Same for whatsapp, viber, or whatelse you use for messaging, or it will stop.
You can disable Store, but remember to check manually updates from time to time

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It's the first recommandation for a Windows Phone user disabling unused apps.

You must not disable main core apps (the ones with gears). If you disable Phone, incoming calls may appear as a number, not a People contact.
Messages could receive messages only when opening app.

Don't touch Phone, Messages, Call filter (for blocking unwanted numbers), Alarms, Calendar (or memos will not show on lockscreen), Updates.
Same for whatsapp, viber, or whatelse you use for messaging, or it will stop.
You can disable Store, but remember to check manually updates from time to time
Disabling Alarms, Phone and Call Filter had absolutely no impact on their notifications I receive or how the apps work. Store never seems to update apps automatically though, so I also doesn't understand how this all works.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The phone APP is relatively new, but mobile phones managed to work as phones before the app came about, I think you are mistaking a new "App" for the core functions of the phone, the Skype related apps (Messaging, phone and Skype video) cannot be core services as they are new apps to allow the integration of Skype services to the core services, got to say I haven't had any issues with them, but I do see plenty of others who do.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
But whats the advantage of disabling all other apps? I've a whole list of 'background apps' on my phone like Word, Excel, Edge, some games, etc. I tried disabling all of them except for those which I want to keep working in background (like Whatsapp, Twitter and Facebook for notifications, and Weather for the Live tile) but I see little to no effect on the battery. And after disabling Edge, I still see (a small amount of) usage in background, like it is ignoring the rules I've set. So that's why I'm curious: why even bother and what are your experiences with it?

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I must confess, in my short time on tW10M (couple of months now) I have never seen any real impact on battery life or performance through disabling background app usage. The one time I saw a serious standby battery usage problem on my 950XL (after a hard reset), the only thing that helped was a battery pull. (I suspect a regular soft reset would have had the same effect.) Disabling background app usage had absolutely no effect on battery in that instance.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
After logging oud and disabling Skype, Maps, Groove etc I gained an average 20% on the field during work days. No needing to measure, simply phone continues till bed time before claimin a charge :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't disable any apps and it runs well. Most apps don't really use much background data so it makes no sense. Windows does a pretty good job of managing them. Providing you're on production .218 and on one of the newer phone models.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte