Please Help me start over, lost in windows 10 PC, and help me unify?

gabriel72

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
windows 10 on HP 15(smart touch) notebook. i was using edge and bing (which i hated compared to explorer and google) till last week and started setting up google as browser and did not set up account cause of my aol email....I HAVE READ TO MUCH ONLINE AND AM LOST!!! I have never worked with a smart phone or apps. had no idea what to do when I switch from 8 to 10 so only a few apps were loaded. I would like to do recovery or back up and delete programs i wont be using when i start over... I don't have and would like dependent on wise advise messenger facebook app, a you tube app. Google app?. ... SHOULD I USE EDGE OR GO BACK TO EXPLORER?.....
I have a aol email and wanted to be able to use it as main email and be in one place to work.... meaning from 1 page i can see notifications from FB sale groups as well as my profile, and all web sites like offerup, craigslist,..etc. I should be able to manage it from one place instead of jumping back and forth to interact with each one. And will ONE DRIVE help me in this? I have not used the start button screen ever and it is suppose to be something really useful...

This is 2 issues and the first has to be done before 2nd.

If i am in wrong catagory let me know. SEND HELP I'M SINKING!!!!!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If i am in wrong catagory let me know. SEND HELP I'M SINKING!!!!!

So I'm not sure exactly how you are set up, but maybe you should do a system reset to start all over again. But before you do, know how you want to log in to all the microsoft stuff.

I'm not sure if you did this but, if you don't want to set up a new microsoft email address, what you can do is to register your aol email as a microsoft account. https://account.microsoft.com/about Click on Create account.

This makes your aol email address the account name for your microsoft account and you will use it as your username to log into all the microsoft services and sync stuff. I have my wife using her gmail address as a microsoft account. So everytime you want to log into something microsoft like skype, one drive, a new phone etc, be sure to remember your username is your aol email address.

So if that's new, reset your HP notebook to start all over again.

When it ask for your microsoft account, assuming you created your aol email address as a microsoft account, log in with it.

After it's all set up, open the mail app... you may need to goto manage email accounts and say you want to add a new email account. Yes you are using your aol email already to log in but this is just the username to log into microsoft services. So you may have to open the Mail app and add now your aol email details to log into your aol account.

I think you should start with that and then see if it is more to your expectation.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You need to get your stuff sorted out. I am assuming you have Windows 10. Create a Microsoft Account and use Edge web browser. Import all of your favorites for any other web browsers. Sign into your Microsoft Account sign in under Windows 10 Settings>Accounts. Let it sit for a day to ensure your favorites are backed up properly.

1) back up all of your data (docs, media, files, bookmark//favorites). Including those in Internet Explorer just to be safe.

2) Do a Windows 10 refresh and start up fresh without any 3rd party bloatware

3) Sign into your Microsoft Account. Your bookmarks should start sync'ing

4) Copy all data you backed up earlier back into the computer

5) reinstall all of your apps you want to use

6) Install a basic antivirus software, or use the built-in Windows Defender.

An alternative would be to use Google Chrome web browser. You can create a Google Account and sign into that account within the Chrome web browser. It stores all of your favorites as well. You can import from Internet Explorer and Edge.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, I'd recommended taking it into a reputable computer repair place for service, rather than mess it up even more and worse, lose your data.

GL

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
There isn't a problem using an AOL email address, however you should really consider having an MS one as well.

The main difference in my mind with PC's now and in the past is how the account is structured, nowadays it's YOU using the CLOUD that is the important part of the system, so you set up an MS/outlook/Hotmail account, and you use this on each device you have for example PC/Tablet/Xbox/Phone and the one account synchronises your details across the devices.

Within that you can still set up and use other emails for example I have an MS account/Hotmail email address but I also have and use a Gmail email address and this is also set up on my PC/two tablets/mobile phone.

As to what browser you use, I tend to use Edge most of the time, but I also have IE and Firefox installed and use them at various times, Edge is still new and like Windows itself "Still in development".

Good luck and I am sure more help will be available.

gabriel72

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
last night I chose the one that lets u keep your personal files. I cant rmember what it called that I was doing but I could not do a restore point cause my pc history is off it says cause of having no drive to use? did I use the right reset? it gave me a folder on desktop with a list of apps and programs it took off, do I need to install them? (sorry if I am all over the place). When I used edge to get online it went to a getting started with windows 10 page. I have not done it cause I don't kow if it will make edge my default browser. from what I am reading I should have google chrome as default browser? I read the thread top apps to use in windows 10 desktop and I use almost all of them but never set up accounts with any. I want to use the apps he listed for example iTunes instead of groove, will the getting started thing assign my defaults cause I don't want everything the want me to use. and email redacted was not my Microsoft email so I added some characters 5 days ago. today yesterday I made it primary alias and today removed the other one I have never used. I went to inbox in my Microsoft account and made sure it was not old one.So what do I do first?

Last edited by a moderator:

gabriel72

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm not to worried bout loosing data cause I mainly have pictures until now'. I hear that right now I should go with chrome instead of edge to they fix it. what do you think? and edge wnts bing but I like google nd seem to get better search results with google (maybe I'm not using bing right)? can I still use outlook and will it still allow me to use the design 10 has with all you stuff in one place?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Gabriel, I removed your email address from the previous post. It's not wise to publicly post your email address like that.

gabriel72

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
ok. thanks. ill take all advice you have. I'm green. should I edit with gtm72 so the guy I sent it to can understand it? it did go to the guy that was helping right?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm not to worried bout loosing data cause I mainly have pictures until now'. I hear that right now I should go with chrome instead of edge to they fix it. what do you think? and edge wnts bing but I like google nd seem to get better search results with google (maybe I'm not using bing right)? can I still use outlook and will it still allow me to use the design 10 has with all you stuff in one place?

Looks like you already refreshed your pc and had it it keep the data. Starting fresh is always good if things go south.

You can use Google Chrome web browser. If you have a Gmail account, you can sign into it within the Chrome web Brower. That way it stores your bookmarks.

Regarding Outlook, were you using the Outlook program or the Outlook.com website? If you used the Outlook program, your email data MAY BE stored is a database file called PST file. Hopefully it is still somewhere on the machine. You can try importing the data back into Outlook once you get your email set up again. If you used Outlook.com webmail, everything is online. Just navigate to www.outlook.com and log in.

Again, I would speak with a local tech repair place for further support.
:)

gabriel72

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Looks like you already refreshed your pc ...... Again, I would speak with a local tech repair place for further support.

:)

I was under the impression that this forum was the "local tech repair place".... so you have the right impression of who I am you should know that when my daughter was 3 and my son was 4 I started raising them on my own as a single father for the next 16 years till they graduated highschool (with no financial support from anyone and very little family support from grandparents on either side) ... that meant if something broke or was in need of repair I could not afford the luxury of paying a local repair place to take care of it for me.... I have repaired washers, dryers, vacuums, a/c units, furnaces, electronic toys, Xboxes, play stations, Mo pars, Chevys, Nissan, 2 years comm. and res. electrical apprentice, almost every construction field there is, blue print reading, owner operator of over 5 small businesses which included knowing office, publisher, excel, word ..... I could go on for days all the technical things that I had to figure out through necessity and survival. so I hope you see that I am capable of making sure windows 10 is set up and customized so I can utilize it the way it was intended on my end of these fiber optics... I need someone to instruct me so I can get there. If there was no offense taken I would like to know where a clear and concise thread is or someone, and we can get through this quickly in whatever venue they want. if its you or you can get ahold of someone it would be greatly appreciated. This is not in order but all is important.
hp 15 notebook smart touch windows 10 refreshed.
1. due to the news yesterday about cortana being exclusive to edge now I am making then my defult browser so I need someone who is using edge as default browser with bing and Cortana.
I have set up my Microsoft account and started through getting started.
- I want to check all programs and applications that I am keeping for updates.
- make sure all drivers are installed and up to date.
-motherboard and devices up to date check also
I have about 30 apps deleted in refresh in folder o desk top so far have installed 6. all my hp apps and programs were uninstalled as well as graphics drivers, device drivers, bojuor, shockwave.... I need to install what I need. (would think 10 would have update diagnose and install wizard.?
I want to unify the best I can and still want iTunes instead of groove etc.,,,
I CAN EXACUTE WITH A QUICKNESS I JUST NEED SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS WINDOWS 10 (AND UNIFYING EDGE, MAIL MESSENGER, FACEBOOK, OTHER WEBSITES ALL IN ONE PLACE) TO INSTRUCT ME!!!
Please send me to this person or tell me who to contact ..Thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb