Best steps for re-installing W10 (after "Restore to factory default")

sunil79

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
My nephews Asus Laptop, which shipped with W10, got infected with malware, so I decided the best way to get rid of this was to use W10's own restart/restore tool

I chose the belt and braces option of "Restore to factory default and Remove Everything" (the last option)

Only thing is this reverted the laptop to 8.1 which i wasn't expecting!! :confused:

So my question is, to save as much time as possible and have the cleanest possible install of w10, what should i do?
1) Do i actually have to upgrade the machine to w10 first, and then select the "Remove everything" option?
2) Can i use a boot DVD at this stage and install w10? (will this method format the disk?)

Ideally i'd like a proper format of the disk, (although not completely necessary if either "remove everything" or "restore factory defaults" does do a format???)

Thanks in advance

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
My nephews Asus Laptop, which shipped with W10, got infected with malware, so I decided the best way to get rid of this was to use W10's own restart/restore tool

I chose the belt and braces option of "Restore to factory default and Remove Everything" (the last option)

Only thing is this reverted the laptop to 8.1 which i wasn't expecting!! :confused:

So my question is, to save as much time as possible and have the cleanest possible install of w10, what should i do?
1) Do i actually have to upgrade the machine to w10 first, and then select the "Remove everything" option?
2) Can i use a boot DVD at this stage and install w10? (will this method format the disk?)

Ideally i'd like a proper format of the disk, (although not completely necessary if either "remove everything" or "restore factory defaults" does do a format???)

Thanks in advance

if you're sure you don't want windows 8.1, then do the official upgrade, after upgrade is complete, do a disk cleanup and remove old installation files. Note that this will remove the installation files for 8.1 completely. Once that is done, you can do a reset

Or, after upgrading, just leave it as it is and be careful about which sites you visit and what you click on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6