Much Needed Addition Required ASAP

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
There are some features which has to be on windows 10 without any delay, pls add these on ur next build
1) Led Notification support: This is very important as one cant check the phone all the time to see if their is any missed call or messages
2)Double Tap To Wake Up: This feature was much loved in the 8.1 version then why remove this on the windows 10, bring it back
3)Vibrate on pickup: This feature is present on most of the phones nowadays, when their is some missed calls or new messages or any other notification, when the phone is lifted the phone vibrates indicating that there are some notifications ready for you.
4)Glance Screen: Glance screen is a gr8 feature but what will make it more useful is the feature that will make it flash every 10 seconds when there are some missed calls or any other notifications which will be quite useful when we cant reach our phones and can see the notification flash from far away, instead of going near and checking the glace screen by swiping our palm over proximity sensor.
5)Battery Indicator: Indicate the percentage of battery on the screen itself so that their is no need of swiping down the menu bar.
6)Charging On Switch Off Mode: This is surprisingly not present on lumia 950xl, this has to be added as charging the phone on switch off mode is a very common feature, the phone automatically switches on.
7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background: Automatically pickup accent colour from background is a feature present on the windows 10 desktop then why not the mobile, pls add this great personalisation feature.
8)Incoming Call Screen Management: When we are using our phone and suddenly a incoming call comes up, whole screen is occupied by the caller screen and one cant use the back button or home button or complete the pending work or just close the application you were working on, so instead of covering the whole screen it would be wise if only a part of the screen is covered so that if the call isnt important we can just continue with our work.
Add all these feature and the windows 10 will be the best platform, at least add some of these features.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

Just to let you know, Windows Central is a fan-based site, with no affiliation to Microsoft, Lumia, or any phone OEM. You'll need to submit directly to Microsoft regarding any features you'd like to see.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I find some of these either redundant or unnecessary. The LED indicator for example is an outdated Android feature that was developed before always-on display (Glance Screen) technology came to market.

Aesthetically, I prefer the battery indicator to remain as-is. My Xperia shows the percentage instead, and I think the current Windows 10 Mobile icon looks better.

I don't want my phone wasting battery by vibrating when I pick it up to tell me there are notifications waiting... that's what Glance Screen is for. My S7 Edge does this and I wish I could turn it off.

The only thing I think is needed from this list - and I'd like for it to be added ASAP - is double-tap to wake

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I can get behind this. Although I don't think its necessary ASAP.

2. Amen. Thankfully I can enjoy it on my 640.

3. That is an interesting feature I have never heard of. Strange, since I've used a lot of non-WP's lately. Glance or LED can replace this.

4. interesting, but I feel flashing like that may be awkward.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
While charging its irritating to switch on the phone and then bring down the menu to see how much battery has charged...so instead if they add the percentage it will be a whole lot easier...

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
1. I can get behind this. Although I don't think its necessary ASAP.

2. Amen. Thankfully I can enjoy it on my 640.

3. That is an interesting feature I have never heard of. Strange, since I've used a lot of non-WP's lately. Glance or LED can replace this.

4. interesting, but I feel flashing like that may be awkward.

The vibrate feature is present in the samsung galaxy range of device....i came across that on my Note edge
Flashing will be quite useful when u can see from far without touching the phone any notifications

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Definitely DTTW

So used to it on my 930 I miss it on my 950XL. I still tap the screen like a fool before realizing I need to use the power button which I think eventually will wear out due to the number of presses over time.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
1. I have no need for an LED, can feel the vibration in my pocket and on my wrist, I look at band to see what it is.
2. Double tap to wake was not removed from Windows 10, it still works on my 1020 and 640. It was never included in 950/950XL firmware but I agree it needs to be added.
3. See 1.
4. Might be useful.
5. Graphical indicator for battery is ok most of the time, I'd suggest turning it yellow then red as it gets low.
6. If those notifications are so important (items 1, 3, 4) then why would you ever want it to be turned off?
7. Good idea.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused...

Is this a request for a special build for the 950 XL? Or is this W10M in general? If the latter, then this is in the wrong forum.

1) Led Notification support: This is very important as one cant check the phone all the time to see if their is any missed call or messages

Optional only. Many want this and just as many don't. I'm anti-make-my-phone-nag-me. I have an intense dislike for persistent notifications that never cease bothering me. I'm also anti-everything-is-so-important I have to drop what I'm doing and connect NOW. I don't set that expectation up in others and won't be held to some insane instant response standard.

I triage my notifications and sort them accordingly. I hate this rush to make each and every notification urgent.

2)Double Tap To Wake Up: This feature was much loved in the 8.1 version then why remove this on the windows 10, bring it back

Scratch this off your list. DTtW exists in W10M.

You must be referring to certain models as this does not apply to the OS.

3)Vibrate on pickup: This feature is present on most of the phones nowadays, when their is some missed calls or new m:ssages or any other notification, when the phone is lifted the phone vibrates indicating that there are some notifications ready for you.

Optional again. I would hate this. I never allow my phone to vibrate at me.

4)Glance Screen: Glance screen is a gr8 feature but what will make it more useful is the feature that will make it flash every 10 seconds when there are some missed calls or any other notifications which will be quite useful when we cant reach our phones and can see the notification flash from far away, instead of going near and checking the glace screen by swiping our palm over proximity sensor.

Another idea I don't want to implement for myself. I'm really not having a problem keeping up with notifications on my device.

5)Battery Indicator: Indicate the percentage of battery on the screen itself so that their is no need of swiping down the menu bar.

I have the percent on my Glance Screen and as a Live Tile. Don't see a need to have the percent on the status bar.

6)Charging On Switch Off Mode: This is surprisingly not present on lumia 950xl, this has to be added as charging the phone on switch off mode is a very common feature, the phone automatically switches on.

Doesn't bother me. I'm not sure what the advantage is to charging while off. I do know the advantage to charging while on is better control of charging management by the OS.

7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background: Automatically pickup accent colour from background is a feature present on the windows 10 desktop then why not the mobile, pls add this great personalisation feature.

Maybe? It's really not that hard for me to adjust my Accent Color when needed. I'd rather have more choices in the palette than some autopicker. I find an autopicker less than satisfactory most times.

I don't see anything here that is "make or break." Sorry.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused...

[Re: Double-Tap-to-Wake]

This sub-forum is 950XL specific so yes, DTtW applies to the 950 series of WP. Therefore it's a firmware update request to get the feature added rather than W10M OS update. It's the only option in the OP's poll I want or need with 950/950XL. Whenever I take out my 930 I realize how much I've missed it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This sub-forum is 950XL specific so yes, DTtW applies to the 950 series of WP. Therefore it's a firmware update request to get the feature added rather than W10M OS update. It's the only option in the OP's poll I want or need with 950/950XL. Whenever I take out my 930 I realize how much I've missed it.

So then the whole thread is only related to the 950 XL?

You want a special build just for this device?

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused...

Is this a request for a special build for the 950 XL? Or is this W10M in general? If the latter, then this is in the wrong forum.

Optional only. Many want this and just as many don't. I'm anti-make-my-phone-nag-me. I have an intense dislike for persistent notifications that never cease bothering me. I'm also anti-everything-is-so-important I have to drop what I'm doing and connect NOW. I don't set that expectation up in others and won't be held to some insane instant response standard.

I triage my notifications and sort them accordingly. I hate this rush to make each and every notification urgent.

Optional again. I would hate this. I never allow my phone to vibrate at me.

Another idea I don't want to implement for myself. I'm really not having a problem keeping up with notifications on my device.

I have the percent on my Glance Screen and as a Live Tile. Don't see a need to have the percent on the status bar.

Doesn't bother me. I'm not sure what the advantage is to charging while off. I do know the advantage to charging while on is better control of charging management by the OS.

Maybe? It's really not that hard for me to adjust my Accent Color when needed. I'd rather have more choices in the palette than some autopicker. I find an autopicker less than satisfactory most times.

I don't see anything here that is "make or break." Sorry.

To Each His Own

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any of these requests are needed ASAP, at most they are nice-to-haves.

Your new option 8, I don't think is needed. If someone calls and you want to ignore that call and carry on working, just press the "ignore" button. There's no need for overcomplicated feature to do the same thing.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't think any of these requests are needed ASAP, at most they are nice-to-haves.

Your new option 8, I don't think is needed. If someone calls and you want to ignore that call and carry on working, just press the "ignore" button. There's no need for overcomplicated feature to do the same thing.

Thanks for ur opinion but these ''nice to haves'' feature are wat that make a OS user friendly and updated with the contemporaries..about the 8th feature yes u can press the ignore button but its not always feasible to cut someones call abruptly.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
1) Led Notification support:
Why? I had this on my BlackBerry PassPort and really the only use I found was so that I would know if my spouse texted me vs anyone else (I prioritize instant response to my spouse compared to other alerts). It is really unnecessary. The Microsoft Band completely eliminates the need for LED notifications.
2)Double Tap To Wake Up:
As has been mentioned before, this is not a "missing" windows 10 feature. It is there. The 950/XL do not have it implemented in their firmware. This is a valid request though, just phrased wrong.
3)Vibrate on pickup:
Ummmm.... why? This is what Glance Screen is for. As soon as you pick it up or wave your hand in front of it, glance turns on and you can see exactly how many notifications you have and which notifications they are for (i.e. email, texts, facebook, etc). For me it would never not vibrate when I pick it up. I don't need something else telling me "you have notifications", this is almost like AOL's "you've got mail!" it's useless (unless you're just excited to have notifications?).
4)Glance Screen freak out flash: (My new term for this suggestion)
Oh god!!! I would hate that! I don't need it constantly telling me there's a notification. I will get to it when I get to it (exception, my spouse, see above) and I get every notification when it comes in. If I am in a meeting then I will ignore every single notification. Afterwards, I check glance screen and if I see something worth signing in for then I will go actually look at it. No need to make Glance freak out if you haven't looked at a notification.
5)Battery Indicator:
While I see the usefulness of this, overall it's just not that critical. Plus, I can easily just add a live tile that will tell me my battery percentage.
6)Charging On Switch Off Mode:
Ummmmm.... I'm sorry, but no. There is absolutely no reason to have it charge while the phone is off. I assume you're suggesting this because supposedly the battery will charge faster. With quick charge in the 950/XL I don't really see that much of a need to charge even faster, but you could always just switch your phone to airplane mode. That is in effect "turning off the phone" if it is really that big of a deal to you.
7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background:
Fair suggestion. And I do like this feature from Windows 10 on desktop.
8)Incoming Call Screen Management:
There's a button called ignore... use it. Not only that, but why do you have to instantly finish your work? If those notifications are so important then don't you want to drop everything you're doing and answer the call? Plus, it's not like what you were working on is going to disappear. It will still be there exactly where you left off as soon as you finish your call.

Overall most of these suggestions are very redundant. There's only 2 suggestions in this list that would really benefit Microsoft's mobile lineup and one of them is not even related to the OS for improvement. It seems that you have these suggestions because you have a hard time keeping up with notifications. I am not sure how you deal with notifications, but I would suggest that you try to change the way you use notifications rather than change how many times and how often the phone tries to get your attention.

Please note that the above are my own personal opinions in response to your list. Others may think that they are the greatest suggestions ever and those are fair opinions. However, if they do come to Windows 10 then I would highly suggest that these all be optional. Otherwise Microsoft will have an even bigger uprising on their hands than they already do.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
1) Led Notification support:
Why? I had this on my BlackBerry PassPort and really the only use I found was so that I would know if my spouse texted me vs anyone else (I prioritize instant response to my spouse compared to other alerts). It is really unnecessary. The Microsoft Band completely eliminates the need for LED notifications.
2)Double Tap To Wake Up:
As has been mentioned before, this is not a "missing" windows 10 feature. It is there. The 950/XL do not have it implemented in their firmware. This is a valid request though, just phrased wrong.
3)Vibrate on pickup:
Ummmm.... why? This is what Glance Screen is for. As soon as you pick it up or wave your hand in front of it, glance turns on and you can see exactly how many notifications you have and which notifications they are for (i.e. email, texts, facebook, etc). For me it would never not vibrate when I pick it up. I don't need something else telling me "you have notifications", this is almost like AOL's "you've got mail!" it's useless (unless you're just excited to have notifications?).
4)Glance Screen freak out flash: (My new term for this suggestion)
Oh god!!! I would hate that! I don't need it constantly telling me there's a notification. I will get to it when I get to it (exception, my spouse, see above) and I get every notification when it comes in. If I am in a meeting then I will ignore every single notification. Afterwards, I check glance screen and if I see something worth signing in for then I will go actually look at it. No need to make Glance freak out if you haven't looked at a notification.
5)Battery Indicator:
While I see the usefulness of this, overall it's just not that critical. Plus, I can easily just add a live tile that will tell me my battery percentage.
6)Charging On Switch Off Mode:
Ummmmm.... I'm sorry, but no. There is absolutely no reason to have it charge while the phone is off. I assume you're suggesting this because supposedly the battery will charge faster. With quick charge in the 950/XL I don't really see that much of a need to charge even faster, but you could always just switch your phone to airplane mode. That is in effect "turning off the phone" if it is really that big of a deal to you.
7)Pick Up Accent Colour From Background:
Fair suggestion. And I do like this feature from Windows 10 on desktop.
8)Incoming Call Screen Management:
There's a button called ignore... use it. Not only that, but why do you have to instantly finish your work? If those notifications are so important then don't you want to drop everything you're doing and answer the call? Plus, it's not like what you were working on is going to disappear. It will still be there exactly where you left off as soon as you finish your call.

Overall most of these suggestions are very redundant. There's only 2 suggestions in this list that would really benefit Microsoft's mobile lineup and one of them is not even related to the OS for improvement. It seems that you have these suggestions because you have a hard time keeping up with notifications. I am not sure how you deal with notifications, but I would suggest that you try to change the way you use notifications rather than change how many times and how often the phone tries to get your attention.

Please note that the above are my own personal opinions in response to your list. Others may think that they are the greatest suggestions ever and those are fair opinions. However, if they do come to Windows 10 then I would highly suggest that these all be optional. Otherwise Microsoft will have an even bigger uprising on their hands than they already do.

Thanks for ur views on the given features....
First let me say that not everyone has the microsoft band so that option is totally gone...
All these features are are needed like on any other phones, these features are always optional and can diabled if one doesnt like them, the above redundant features will only improve on the already improving windows 10 platform no harm in having them.
Even i agree that the vibrate on pickup and led notification are not so important

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
So then the whole thread is only related to the 950 XL?

You want a special build just for this device?

A. For the most part it's related to 950/950XL. Some "features" or "wants" could be carried over if it's an OS implementation.
B. Erm, that's what firmware is: a specific hardware coding for a specific device model. So in regards to DTtW, yes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo