Rant : What is your Plan B?

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Plan B: Get the best camera mobile money can buy on android after doing a proper research. (Maybe the latest HTC of Samsung S7)
Plan B+: Wait for Microsoft to introduce a proper MS launcher on android to hopefully get live tiles (at least for all MS apps) and the look and feel of W10. I believe that this wait my be shorter than the wait for a surface phone, even if MS find some alternative to x86 CPUs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I do not necessarily agree with him, but yet he does have a point.

I read on this forum and other pro Microsoft forums that the world is moving to 1) mobile devices, and 2) apps from a Store rather than traditional x86 "programs". Who are the companies that are (currently) leading the pack in those categories?

Microsoft is trying to get in the mobile and app markets, but so far the results have been feeble at best. It is conceivable that the world does in fact move to mobile/apps and that Microsoft does not make the headway they're striving for. Who is going to be in the driver's seat if that happens?

I agree.

Fact is that some things really are gloomy. Shutting our eyes and plugging our ears doesn't make those gloomy things go away however. As far as I'm concerned, Thurrott is absolutely right on the points he makes in that article.

Two decades ago, MS could offer cheaper and more accessible solutions than IBM, which the average IT worker (without a doctorate degree) could wrap their head around. Today, we see the exact same phenomenon, but now we have Apple and Google offering cheaper and more accessible solutions than MS, which the average Joe (without a formal IT education or sufficient enthusiasm) can wrap their head around.

Apple and Google also have the exact same "bottom up" advantage today which MS had twenty years ago. Thurrott states:

It is much easier to improve mobile platforms enough to replace PCs than it is to try and simplify PCs and make them more suitable for mobile usage scenarios.

... and that is no joke. It's probably hard to appreciate just how true that is without being a software engineer, and the extent to which that weighs down most of MS' endeavors.

Apple and Google are moving in the same direction MS is (better productivity capabilities in smaller devices), and there is no reason their ecosystems can't offer customers the exact same capabilities MS' Continuum based ecosystem can. The only difference is that developers will have to do more work to achieve a comparable outcome, but users couldn't care less about how much work developers must do! If the result is the same they won't care!

The only people who care are the developers themselves, or those paying developers to do the work. IMHO MS is relying on the combined interests of those groups of people to outweigh the interests of all those who don't care. I think that's a huge gamble and I'm skeptical it's enough, which is why I've been wishing for years now that MS would finally do something exciting for consumers, rather than just try to optimize the corporate/developer side of this interest-equation.

Anyway, Thurrott isn't saying this is an extinction moment for MS. It is an extinction moment for their participation in the consumer IT space however. What MS decides to do now determines how MS shapes the consumer IT market for the next three to five years, and MS desperately needs a few wins, but their retrenchment tactic is just another loss. MS can't continually lose battles and still expect to win the war.

MS just doesn't seem to feel the urgency of the situation they are in. It does seem like they are living in somewhat of a bubble, and that deserves to be criticized. I think that is what Thurrott is justifiably and rightfully doing.

Last edited:

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Have any of you seen this?

JD.com - Meizu PRO 5 ubuntu edition Golden 32G

A long time ago I had signed up to be notified when this phone was available. On April 27 I received an email saying that it was now available to order. It is now out of stock, but at the time I received the notification it was available to order. I ended up not ordering because it cost more than I am willing to spend for a 2nd device.

It seems decent, but I do not know how it would be in real life with its limited ecosystem. However, a Windows Phone user is already accustomed to that!

Yes, and I thought about purchasing it, but the BOGO from Microsoft convinced me to get the 950XL. Which I am greatly enjoying so far :) I might have convinced my friend to get one though. If he does I will be asking him all kinds of questions about it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is pragmatic about Windows smart phones they know for now they wont sell many of them but will stay in the Mobile smart phones business. If I were Microsoft I would tell developers they would get special treatments if they made the kind of Universal apps that will work on a Windows 10 smart phone. some but not all developers and businesses would accept these offers and Windows 10 smart phones would get more Apps. I would also have Microsoft Programmers make Microsoft versions of the most popular apps Microsoft does not have.

I find it odd that Microsoft being the underdog charges as much as Apple or Google for their cut of developer pay. They should drop it to 15-20% and not take the full 30%. Even do discounts for the initial years of new games/apps. 10% for first year, 20% for second year and then 30% after that.

Christopher Dy

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have bought an LG G3 three quarters ago and have been using both the LG and my 1520 alternately. Sometimes my sim would be in the Lumia while other times it would be in the LG.

Reasons for buying a relatively old Android flagship:
1. I needed banking apps on the go
2. Android apps are better than on WP except Outlook. W10 version is miles ahead and no contest
3. I want Strava and Waze
4. In the Philippines, we have some tech malls that can really offer phones a huge price difference over retail channels but sadly, they only sell better-known phones, so it's mostly Androids and iPhones
5. Lumia 1520 at the time wasn't great OS-wise. WP8.1 has been stagnating, and th2 insider builds were unusable. My phone also already has a few hw faults (I think, or the OS is going bonkers on me, I don't know)

Some observations after getting the LG
1. Camera. One of the main reasons I still bring my 1520 everyday
2. Battery life. The Lumia is a tank! Doesn't really compare to LG, especially when comparing battery life with data (and wifi hotspot)
3. Despite the state of the OS at the time, W10M still has better UI, and now RS builds are better. The widgets and chaseable live tiles should make the OS more exciting
4. Data signal indicator. I like how WP8/8.1/10M differentiates H and H+, sometimes it really means a lot unlike Android's H
5. G3 was small compared to the 1520, theoretically I should have had more ease using the LG but I suppose I got used to Lumia.
6. Notifications are very prompt on Android for some of the apps I use everyday (e.g. LINE)
7. Lumia 1520 produces better music than the G3 when I have my headphones in
8. Poweramp >>>>> Groove music, sadly
9. Android has SwiftKey... and it really excels in learning how I type, something I cannot say with our W10M keyboard

Summary: A mature W10M over Android everyday but you cannot easily discount the lack of apps at this time. I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be in Android though. My Plan C was to have bought another WP8.1 device at the tech malls had they been more widely available since I save a lot of moolah buying from them. But then there's no worthy successor to the 1520, even today in terms of design and performance. Save for continuum and hello I don't think I have been missing out on much.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My plan B is carrying a cheap android tablet with my Lumia. Solves everything.

Great idea. How about a cheap small android device to supplement my beautiful, easy to use Lumia 8.1 phone. I don't own anything goggle or with an "i", but maybe I could buy a cheap small android device to get access to an app that I really don't need, have never had, but would be nice to toy around with. Does anyone have a suggestion? It doesn't need to be a phone but could be. I would never connect it to a cell phone company. I have a phone, a Windows Phone.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been occasionally tempted to get a cheap Android phone for the extra apps too.

But then I remember that really, at the end of the day, my Lumia does everything I /really/ need.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Great idea. How about a cheap small android device to supplement my beautiful, easy to use Lumia 8.1 phone. I don't own anything goggle or with an "i", but maybe I could buy a cheap small android device to get access to an app that I really don't need, have never had, but would be nice to toy around with. Does anyone have a suggestion? It doesn't need to be a phone but could be. I would never connect it to a cell phone company. I have a phone, a Windows Phone.

Try a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. It's got vanilla Android and is up to date. It apparently won't get N but then that's some time off anyway.

Even though it's a three year old tablet it still decent and you can find them fairly cheap.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely a Windows Phone distortion field. Its not all hugs and roses outside of it, but there is so much that windows phone users are missing out on by staying put. Apps for banking, airlines, retailers, and popular social media sites are necessities, not just for app whores. Paul Thurrott currently describes the situation as thus, (He probably got it from my comments) "Windows 10 Mobiles is not dead, but a zombie OS, that is artificially being kept alive by Microsoft. It only exists while Microsoft waits to see what new "Thing" occurs within mobile computing." Its obvious that the host has left the party, and there have been plenty of news stories lately of Microsoft partying it up at Android and iOS. I've made the decision to move to Android. I started with the Xiaomi Mi 4 as it could run both Android and W10M, but after a short time of see what else is out there, I never looked back. Choosing between iOS and Android is a Pick your Poison type proposition, but either are better than staying put.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My plan B is carrying a cheap android tablet with my Lumia. Solves everything.

I've been occasionally tempted to get a cheap Android phone for the extra apps too.

But then I remember that really, at the end of the day, my Lumia does everything I /really/ need.

Completely agree. That's exactly what I am doing.

Try a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. It's got vanilla Android and is up to date. It apparently won't get N but then that's some time off anyway.

Even though it's a three year old tablet it still decent and you can find them fairly cheap.

Nexus 7 is a really nice and relevant tablet. That is what I had for about 2.5 years. Then earlier this year I managed to snag a Nexus 9 LTE at a stellar price and now I use that and my 640 and have no worries. I actually have no issues with the app gap per se but the larger screen with a data connection helps with certain Google things that just don't play well on a Lumia. However, I am now thinking of just using my 640 as a hotspot and toting my SP3 around.

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hold onto my Icon... hopefully the HP Elite x3 will come to Verizon. But in the meantime I have to say plan "B" is best said by Monty Python;

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead
Here's one, I'm not dead
Here, he says he's not dead
Yes, he is

I feel happy, I feel happy
I am not dead yet
I can dance and I can sing
I am not dead yet
I can do the highland fling
Read more at MONTY PYTHON - MONKS CHANT / HE IS NOT DEAD YET LYRICS

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Plan A: Have my 640 XL until it dies or change it for Surface Phone if it will be really amazing and somewhat affordable
Plan B: If 640 XL dies, and Surface Phone won't be launched, get another Windows Phone (HP Elite x3 or 950)
Plan C: Get a second hand Nokia C3310

Why not switch to Apple or Android? I don't like Android's user interface + I really hate that they don't make updates for their OS available on regular basis and Apple devices are just overpriced and there's no way I would own one also because of them giving in user information to all kinds of institutions.

Hadrian Embalsado

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a Plan B. I'm still too satisfied with the platform but I do need to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile by buying a new phone. I found a perfect Windows 10 Mobile phone but I will wait until one of my two phones die on me.

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
iOS is just so annoyingly boring. its a totally different user experience. I Find that I am playing around and admiring my start screen all the time, watch titles and all that....other phone users dont even have that expereince. their home screens are nothing more than a launch pad for opening up apps. Nothing built into the OS either.
will suck when we are forced to leave.
I'm happiest on 8.1

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I doubt MS expects to compare with Android/iOS numbers anymore. The best case would be if they maintain a niche market share and peak out around 6-8% in the next few years (Guy can dream, right?). Ideally devs wouldn't be interested, but UWP is what makes this interesting, people wouldn't develop for WM, they will develop for W10..
EXACTLY! If each Windows 10 PC user has a Lumia or Surface Device which will use the same apps through all devices, then YES, they will be the boss! I just care about howm soon, or IF Microsoft is going to make W10 Mobile work!

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I will never go to IOS if it has still many restrictions. I need file manager, glance screen, double tap to wake, double tap to sleep. Although I have iPhone from my company but I don't use it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers