What has happened to Windows 10m?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
My old world 1320 is as laggy as hell, every other device I have is blinding. I can understand why MS split the range of devices, and I have managed to live with that. My 640s and Xls, are pretty darn good, although, as mentioned above, we shouldn't need to do a reset. I've had to hard reset all 14 of my company devices!! They range from 950's to 550's and 640's. The performance increases dramatically after the hard reset, but, again, we shouldn't have to do it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by RumoredNow
Originally Posted by Mad Cabbie
The performance increases dramatically after the hard reset, but, again, we shouldn't have to do it.

Yeah, the average non-forum browsing user won't know to do a Reset after upgrade.

Yep, true. It shouldn't have to be though should it. I would hazard a guess that it's probably down to the fact that a lot of your 8.1 stuff is left lurking in a corner somewhere waiting to mug your 10 code...

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
On a whim, I fired up my old Titan II running WP7. The speed difference is amazing. Photos, Email, People, Games, Calendar, Settings..they all open immediately on the Titan II.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motorola Q9H, Samsung Focus, HTC Titan II, Lumia 925, Lumia 640, Lumia 950
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nikint

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
People I am running the last build on my lumia 1320 (.242). I have minor problems and the whole experience is not far from 8.1. All my freezing problems solved after turning off double tap for waking up the phone and after choosing 12h for presenting time. Try these tips and maybe the whole experience will get improved. In fact I am considering of not installing next build because I dont want to face new bugs.

nikint

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
To be honest I dont mind getting the update officially because my phone functions well as it is right now. I even have the build I would have if microsoft had released the official build for my phone. I am pretty satisfied and I enjoy the new features of wm 10 despite the minor problems. Maybe in future builds microsoft will release officially the update for the line x20.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Jakoh
830 is a 2 year old subpar device at best. Buy a phone meant for Windows 10.

Seriously?! Even on a Lumia 640 XL Windows 10 Mobile works fine, at least not worse than Windows Phone 8.1 did and you tell that one has to buy a stronger device?
A Lumia 550 or 650 is also capable of handling W10M, so I cannot agree with this statement.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Seriously?! Even on a Lumia 640 XL Windows 10 Mobile works fine, at least not worse than Windows Phone 8.1 did and you tell that one has to buy a stronger device?
A Lumia 550 or 650 is also capable of handling W10M, so I cannot agree with this statement.

Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have decided that some but not all handsets get Windows 10 Mobile. Therefore, if you are running it on a device that is not officially supported, then you may sadly get problems with it. Whether or not the device 'is capable' is not the same as the device 'works perfectly' and that may be why not all devices are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In engineering, especially electrical we use safety devices like circuit breakers. Now these breakers typically have a rating that is higher than the usual current that is used by a machine. If you keep it very close, then the breaker will be tripping all the time. Same thing with phones. Our devices could be capable of running but they are too near the safety margin and thus will bring issues

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have decided that some but not all handsets get Windows 10 Mobile. Therefore, if you are running it on a device that is not officially supported, then you may sadly get problems with it. Whether or not the device 'is capable' is not the same as the device 'works perfectly' and that may be why not all devices are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile.

And how could your answer be related to my post? Lumia 830 and all the other devices are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile and I was simply not agreeing to the statement that a Lumia 830 is now a subpar phone and works rather badly with W10M.

boldlikeus

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Your Lumia 830 isn't the problem it's the OS that is not optimized correctly for it.
I got one before he decided to die then switch to my actually Blu Win HD LTE & here is my experience:
- On the actual publicly branch (Threeshold alias 10586) I had really poor performance especially in Edge compare to IE on 8.1.
- After upgrade to the Redstone branch in slow rings so on the 14295.1001 build still get this worse performance.
- Finally decide to try the Fast ring & after upgraded to the 14332.1001 the phone starting to perform well just few bugs but performances comes.

It's just like Windows 10 when he was released to the public bugy so just wait the anniversary update this summer & I think you gonna be able to run it well ;).

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Your Lumia 830 isn't the problem it's the OS that is not optimized correctly for it.

Why isn't the Mobile OS like the regular OS? Why does the Mobile OS have to be optimized for each individual handset instead of how the desktop version works with hardware more ubiquitously? Does "optimized for hardware," just mean they got around to writing device drivers for it? If that is the case, then isn't it just that there are too few users on some of the older devices to justify writing drivers for it?

boldlikeus

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Why isn't the Mobile OS like the regular OS? Why does the Mobile OS have to be optimized for each individual handset instead of how the desktop version works with hardware more ubiquitously? Does "optimized for hardware," just mean they got around to writing device drivers for it? If that is the case, then isn't it just that there are too few users on some of the older devices to justify writing drivers for it?

There more users on older hardware than on new.
The most actually WP used is the Lumia 535 before it was the 520.

Today the problem is more on the sides of developers that don't take much times than before to optimize the code in results the lack of performance on old hardware.

They count to much on the power to get them.

Even Windows 10 PC doesn't work well on old hardware that seems legit upgradeable.

I only saw one known society that still optimize the code this day for olders devices & it's Apple.

Purpose they do the same as Microsoft develop a soft for hard that they also sell.

And with the days that come he doesn't look good at all.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There more users on older hardware than on new.
The most actually WP used is the Lumia 535 before it was the 520.

Today the problem is more on the sides of developers that don't take much times than before to optimize the code in results the lack of performance on old hardware.

They count to much on the power to get them.

Even Windows 10 PC doesn't work well on old hardware that seems legit upgradeable.

I only saw one known society that still optimize the code this day for olders devices & it's Apple.

Purpose they do the same as Microsoft develop a soft for hard that they also sell.

And with the days that come he doesn't look good at all.

I don't quite follow everything you have said. For example, I have an Asus EEE Slate (6? years old- updated from W7 to W8 to W10), a Surface Pro (4 years old- updated from W8 to W10), and a Surface Pro 3 (1 year old updated from W8 to W10). Now with the Asus, I had some driver issues early on until they were resolved by Asus publishing them following my update. Software runs the same on all the devices (not counting the speed of the processors). All of them could update and it was on the device manufacturers to update the drivers and on the consumer to find them from their website.

With phones, I do not think you have the option to install device drivers. So I assume it is on the OS to make sure every piece of hardware is updated. This is why I assumed that phones (not iPhones) have to get updates from the manufacturer/carrier--so that their components can have the necessary drivers to work with the motherboard, sensors, etc. iPhones just have one manufacturer and one OS provider that is the same which makes it easier to manage updates for their equipment.

Anyway, why are we in this situation to begin with? And why doesn't Microsoft want to support its own hardware for the upgrades (I still assume device optimization for an OS upgrade just means making sure the correct drivers are available)?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Try running the latest version of android on a galaxy S2. YEAH, You can't. Been there done that and it is terrible!

The Samsung Offical ROM is terrible no matter what's version on S2. However the XDA CM ROMs are amazing on S2, I've put CM12(5.1.1) onto an old S2 and it runs way better than my ATIV S on W10M, it's faster/smoother, less crash/memory leak, web browser running like cream compared to the pathetic edge and it's actually one year older than the oldest WP8 device. That showed how amazing a proper tuned OS can be even on old device and how much the WP/WM platform now are away from the original image (resources saving, fast...etc)

robsbrutal

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
It seems like the term "Lagdroid" is more suitable to Windows 10 Mobile from now on.
The more l use the new OS the worse the experience l get. Apps crashes more often, device always runs out of memory, the 'resuming' symptom is never ending, and why in the bloody hell that all apps that I've already closed keeps coming back when l press the back button.

To make matters worse, this isn't the Preview that I'm using. Anyone who doesn't have many experience with windows or even l who's been a WP user for years find it frustrating as if l am using a beta version.

What phone are you using?

Sent from mTalk

boldlikeus

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
With phones, I do not think you have the option to install device drivers. So I assume it is on the OS to make sure every piece of hardware is updated. This is why I assumed that phones (not iPhones) have to get updates from the manufacturer/carrier--so that their components can have the necessary drivers to work with the motherboard, sensors, etc. iPhones just have one manufacturer and one OS provider that is the same which makes it easier to manage updates for their equipment.

Anyway, why are we in this situation to begin with? And why doesn't Microsoft want to support its own hardware for the upgrades (I still assume device optimization for an OS upgrade just means making sure the correct drivers are available)?

That's it drivers are one on of the most important part especially for non based linux OS but the software optimization is the most one.

Just run any distro of Linux on any PC & u will see the difference immediately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6