Why is my Youtube playback causing high disk usage?

japongt

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Youtube playback causing high disk usage

First, what I have:
Windows 10 Pro
Core i7 5700HQ
16Gb DDR3 RAM
2 mSATA Samsung SSD in RAID 0
Nvidia GTX 980m

What the problem is:
Whenever I load a youtube video, my laptop slows down like crazy. And I mean, everything slows down. As if I'm using my laptop at 2 FPS. Mouse jumps. The youtube video itself is super choppy as if playing in slow motions. Everything becomes slow. As soon as I close the youtube tab, everything is back to normal, more or less.

I tried doing some quick research before posting this. And here's what I've found out:

-It's not adblock or any chrome extension. I tried running youtube on incognito mode with all extensions off, same problem happens.

-As a matter of fact, it isn't exclusive to chrome. I tried watching a youtube video on Edge, and the exact same thing happens.

-I cleared all the cache and history on chrome, didn't make a difference.

-It's not the services that apparently causes high disk usage for other people (superfetch, windows search, background intelligence). I disabled those, made no difference.

Here's what my task manager looked during the problem:

IqkjcjU.jpg

According to resource manager, it is chrome.exe causing the disk usage, but same goes for edge if youtube is playing on that.

Those huge mountains on CPU and DISK 2 are during the time I had the youtube tab up. Needless to say, watching a youtube video is impossible regardless of the browser I use. Restarting fixes the problem, but very briefly. Few hours later and it's back to this nightmare.

This problem has been going for weeks, nearly every day I've been looking for a solution, attempting to avoid a Windows 10 reinstall. I haven't installed any new program or anything so honestly I do not have any idea what might be causing this.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly cause this problems and perhaps how to fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes