How important is Messaging Everywhere to you?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
By far my most anticipated feature for upcoming windows 10 updates is Messaging Everywhere. I won't be pulling my phone out of my pocket ever when I have my surface out, or at my desktop, which will be an excellent continuation of the "Windows on all my devices" theme; I'm curious though what other people think of it. How important is this feature to you, and what else are you looking forward to?

I would like to see wider use of Windows Hello.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To me it's like having an extra functionality but nothing that I cannot live without if Microsoft decides to whack the feature. Not everyone sits on their PC all their time, except when at work where it might be useful. Enterprises would block the functionality anyways, so more or less not useful. If Microsoft would've come up with their own iMessage & Facetime solution using Skype messaging everywhere (not SMS) then I see enterprises embracing it (though it might come with additional licensing costs) and yeah...consumers will benefit regardless. The key idea is to implement it in such a way that 1) it uses data so no cellular reception need and 2) whatever they do, it should be seamless and fast to the end user, something Microsoft has struggled with.

To summarize, IMO it's a nice to have feature but not earth shattering.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
From the enterprise standpoint you introduce outlooks I'd never considered, I'm happy for the new insight. I'm a student and part time worker, so I spend about 12 hours a day on my Surface and use all of my own software, so you might understand why it's a much more attractive feature to someone like me.

I will say however that iMessage is not SMS, and with skype integrated into the messaging app there isn't really much of a difference barring user base. I would ask though why do you insist on no cellular reception need? I see the usefulness, but not necessity in a world where skype is a thing.

Spyder Z

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It's probably the 'Daily Use' feature I'm most excited about that's been publicly announced so far. Of course I'd still like an even tighter mobile to desktop integration (As far as I'm concerned, you should be able to dock your phone and use it's resources, Mobile Data / Etc. as if they were local hardware...) but that's a pipe dream at this point. ;P

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
That pipe dream should be closer to reality than we think; the surface book proved that the software and hardware can both handle plug'n'play hardware like a GPU, why not the extra 3 or 4 GB of ram and some processing power on your phone?

Actually I'd be interested to know if the architecture of the RAM is compatible, because I assume that future Atom processors would be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234