Cannot open Mail App on SurfaceBook Windows 10

AlexBC

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a SurfaceBook and did some updates and now Mail doest NOT open. I don't get any error messages, but basically the icon seems to do nothing, it just simply does not open.

I made sure all is updated by running Update a few times, I REMOVED the Mail app by using the PowerShell command, and re-installed from the Store, still the same issue. Calendar app also doesn't open the same way, which makes sense as it's the same App I believe.

I've searched online and haven't found any other solutions... any ideas?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You can try this

How to reinstall default apps in Windows 10 - CNET

1. Open PowerShell as an administrator. To do this, click the Start button to open the Start menu, go to All apps > Windows PowerShell and right-click on Windows PowerShell.

Click Run as administrator from the dropdown menu. You may see a pop-up window asking you if you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer -- click Yes to proceed.

2. Type or paste the following code into the PowerShell window:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

3. Press the Enter key. At first, it might seem like nothing is happening - wait about a minute and then check your Start menu to see if the Windows 10 default apps have reappeared. If you see an error message, restart your computer and check your Start menu (if you don't see the default apps, check to make sure you've copied the code correctly).

AlexBC

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
My apps are there, I did another code to uninstall em and re-installed, it just does not open when I clck on the icon.

AlexBC

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I managed to fix this, with the help of MS Support.

Basically Mail and Calendar files may have been corrupted, and the way they fixed it, was to create a new account, install the Mail app there, and then transfer all files to the new account and delete the old account! Not ideal, but apparently the only way to fix this. Posting it here for others to learn in the future if helps.

AlexBC

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Ah, so you created a new computer user account. Migrated old account info over. Solid.

That's what MS Support suggested, gladly I didn't have much data as it was brand new machine so it was easy. If it was older, it'd been quite painful and I am not sure if MS had this figured out properly to suggest a NEW user account, and re-install the app. Must be a bug of some sort not letting you remove/re-install the app.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I did that also and it solved my problem. I had issues with the Store, Camera and Mail app. I was using my MS account. I created a new local account but used my MS account to login to store and sync Onedrive. I also copied the folders from my old account to the new account to get all the same shortcuts back to my desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster