Lumia 950 black screen or light sensor malfunction

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem on my Lumia 950. Whenever I am trying to unlock the phone by pressing the button the screen is still black. The thing is that the phone is unlocked and I can tap on things, but I don't see what I am doing. Sometimes after the screen goes black for 5 10 seconds, it starts to work, but the luminosity is very low.

Did you experience this bug, or my device is faulty, and the light sensor is broken?

Sent from Windows Central app for Windows 10 @ Lumia950

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem on my Lumia 950. Whenever I am trying to unlock the phone by pressing the button the screen is still black. The thing is that the phone is unlocked and I can tap on things, but I don't see what I am doing. Sometimes after the screen goes black for 5 10 seconds, it starts to work, but the luminosity is very low.

Did you experience this bug, or my device is faulty, and the light sensor is broken?

Sent from Windows Central app for Windows 10 @ Lumia950

are you on insider builds or the production OS release?

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
are you on insider builds or the production OS release?

On insider Fast Ring

Just updated to 14342 and the issue persists... I cannot know if is the same like on previous build, because sometimes works just fine and sometimes not. I couldn't find a pattern or something that may cause this. I am not sure what I can do, I am thinking to hard reset and go to production, if I will still have the issue I will try to replace my phone. Even though I am not sure I can because I bought it from a local store from Romania, and we don't have a Microsoft Store here.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On insider Fast Ring

Just updated to 14342 and the issue persists... I cannot know if is the same like on previous build, because sometimes works just fine and sometimes not. I couldn't find a pattern or something that may cause this. I am not sure what I can do, I am thinking to hard reset and go to production, if I will still have the issue I will try to replace my phone. Even though I am not sure I can because I bought it from a local store from Romania, and we don't have a Microsoft Store here.

Fast insider builds will have issues, that is a fact. You cannot return a device just because it doesn't behave as expected in a beta software. I suggest you use windows device recovery tool to get back to the threshold branch and stick with production release.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Fast insider builds will have issues, that is a fact. You cannot return a device just because it doesn't behave as expected in a beta software. I suggest you use windows device recovery tool to get back to the threshold branch and stick with production release.

Yes, I know. I am an Insider on Fast ring since day one. But this time I am not sure if this is a bug or an hardware issue. That is why I have started this thread.
Like I said, I will go to Threshold and see if the problem persists. Hope not :\

kaaremai

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I know. I am an Insider on Fast ring since day one. But this time I am not sure if this is a bug or an hardware issue. That is why I have started this thread.
Like I said, I will go to Threshold and see if the problem persists. Hope not :\

I can confirm this issue. It's been a problem since I bought my Lumia 950 back in February.

It doesn't matter what windows build you're running.

I solve it by holding down the power button until it shows the "pull down to shutdown" message which always activates the screen for me. After this I often need to restart the phone or it will keep showing black screen every time I try to unlock the phone.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
You are right. Same solution works for me, but it always returns.

This issue appeared 2builds ago. When I bought it in February it was ok.

Sent from Windows Central app for Windows 10 on Lumia 950 or PC

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You are right. Same solution works for me, but it always returns.

This issue appeared 2builds ago. When I bought it in February it was ok.

Sent from Windows Central app for Windows 10 on Lumia 950 or PC

Then it probably has something to do with the insider build I would imagine. Going to have to put up with it until it's fixed or revert back.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Seen this on latest build too, had so many issues, I thought I'd try a hard reset before going back to a production build, and though most things are working a lot better, I now have the issue you describe - so I can confirm that it's not a hardware issue, as it only started since doing a hard reset. Started looking seriously at Android handsets for the first time in years today... Sony Xperia Z5 is on my radar at the moment.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
[..] Started looking seriously at Android handsets for the first time in years today... Sony Xperia Z5 is on my radar at the moment.
Even though the OS bugs could be the main deal breaker for me, I have nowhere to go. I cannot stand Android and iOS. So I hope W10M will get better and better

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you there, I much prefer the interface on Windows phones, but the app gap seems to be getting worse despite the number of universal apps coming out. The main issue is that new builds come out with a list of all the things that have been fixed, but more and more things seems to be broken lately. Even on a good build, after a few weeks it becomes seriously unstable.

Done the hard reset, and although things are marginally better, there are still issues, some apps still crash to the start-screen for no obvious reason, the brightness is now broken (since hard reset), the workaround is only a workaround indoors as now the sunlight readability feature doesn't work, so can't read it outdoors. It really is one step forward and several steps back lately. Don't want to go to Android, I'm really not a fan of Google, but what will I actually lose... most of the apps I use are also on Android, even the Microsoft apps such as Outlook and OneDrive, which in some cases are actually better implemented too! I'm not jumping ship quite yet, but seriously, Microsoft should have got their sh!t together on Windows mobile by now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786