Lumia 650 Battery Life, why is it so terrible?

silverjaded

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 650; Battery Life

My Lumia 650 appears to be constantly sending or receiving data.

This is killing the battery.
I've turned off location services but I've used nearly 25% of the battery in less than 3 hours.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 650; Battery Life

My Lumia 650 appears to be constantly sending or receiving data.

This is killing the battery.
I've turned off location services but I've used nearly 25% of the battery in less than 3 hours.

Wich build have you?
In Settings, Battery, wich app drains the most in backgorund?
Did you disabled OneDrive video upload?

silverjaded

May 18, 2016
Visit site

Thanks guys, Edge was using about 85%.
I've stopped this from running in the back ground.

I can't find the direct settings for OneDrive but I have disabled automatic backups.

I've disabled location services but this doesn't disable find my phone does it?
I really don't want to turn that off.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Thanks guys, Edge was using about 85%.
I've stopped this from running in the back ground.

I can't find the direct settings for OneDrive but I have disabled automatic backups.

I've disabled location services but this doesn't disable find my phone does it?
I really don't want to turn that off.

You can check by yourself logging via pc in your windows account and then going to My Device

IMHO location drain less then in the past. Edge, Start and Whatsapp are the most draining.

OneDrive direct settings are in OneDrive app -> Hamburgher. You can leave photos upload enabled, video are to most expensive especially in 3G / 4G only

Mateus109

May 25, 2016
Visit site

We have purchased a load of Lumia 650s for our healthcare staff and they are all reporting poor battery performance (e.g. only 24 hours on standby). Microsoft claim the 650 can last 26 days on standby, this is simply not the case. Either there a problem with Windows 10 Mobile or the phone's battery is very weak. The phones all have the latest build of W10 Mobile.

Our care staff are only using these phones for the occasional phone call, text message and emails (the phones are not heavily used at all) and yet, with a full battery and little/no usage, the phones are dead within 24 hours. All the staff are all complaining and are demanding iPhones instead! :unhappysweat:

According to the Win10 battery use status, 'Windows Default Lock Screen' is using 60% battery. I'm going to turn off Glance Screen to see if that improve things.

M.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

We have purchased a load of Lumia 650s for our healthcare staff and they are all reporting poor battery performance (e.g. only 24 hours on standby). Microsoft claim the 650 can last 26 days on standby, this is simply not the case. Either there a problem with Windows 10 Mobile or the phone's battery is very weak. The phones all have the latest build of W10 Mobile.

Our care staff are only using these phones for the occasional phone call, text message and emails (the phones are not heavily used at all) and yet, with a full battery and little/no usage, the phones are dead within 24 hours. All the staff are all complaining and are demanding iPhones instead! :unhappysweat:

According to the Win10 battery use status, 'Windows Default Lock Screen' is using 60% battery. I'm going to turn off Glance Screen to see if that improve things.

M.
It doesn't exist a phone lasting 26 days in standby. Just some Android chinese phones
I got a 650, that's normal on normal use it lasts 14/18hrs in wifi mode. That's a 2000mAh battery phone with a new low TDP cpu on board. A very good lasting for a such a little battery.
That's unuseful stopping Glance, read the forum. You can stop data carrier and gps elsewhere.
"Default Lock Screen" means the screen you see after unlocking phone, not Glance

If you really wanted a 24hrs using phone, you should buy something with at last 3000mAh battery! (e.g. 950, 640XL)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Maurizio, I guess the problem is that Microsoft Lumia 650 specification website states "Maximum standby time: 26 days". This has caused a lot of our users to think that the phone should last longer than 24 hours if not used.

I saw a lot of "stand-by time" in a bunch of phones in GSMArena, seem they all got unrealistic standby times.
IMHO I guess they mean a phone with no sim e no wifi :O

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
A few things you can try out:
  • Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  • Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  • In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  • In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  • What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  • If you finds that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  • In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  • When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  • If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  • In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  • Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  • Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Could mean all radios and even screen are off. Even then, realistic standby is max 5 days only.

As in pc hibernation mode.

That would be the only way. A standby time of 26 days is technically possible. I used to have an old Android phone that I only used as an occasional camera. All radios are off, sync is off, location is off, no apps downloaded, not a single app updated, and as many apps disabled as possible. That thing would last over two weeks on a single charge. Pretty useless, but there it is.

silverjaded

May 18, 2016
Visit site
It does seem to use a lot of data.

I used 250MB in one day yesterday, when I'm on a 4GB allowance that's not good.
The data usage doesn't add up though.
Apparently I've only used 136.73MB.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It does seem to use a lot of data.

I used 250MB in one day yesterday, when I'm on a 4GB allowance that's not good.
The data usage doesn't add up though.
Apparently I've only used 136.73MB.

the data usage statistics are wrong since they don't add up the data used for updating system apps. Check the breakdown of the data usage and you'll system usage at the bottom. for example, my browser and 6tag usage totalled gives 1GB. Other apps like email give an additional 100MB. My system usage shows 1GB. But the total data usage shows 1.1GB and not 2.1GB

And yes, your data usage is high so check which apps are using that data. As a general rule, the higher the data usage, the higher the battery drain. The higher the internet speed, the higher the battery drain.

silverjaded

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I've turned off mobile data and I still seem to be getting an arrow on the signal monitor.

I've turned off the facebook app totally as this it's what's using all of the data.
I had a 1320 on fast ring and I never had this amount of problems with data usage.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've turned off mobile data and I still seem to be getting an arrow on the signal monitor.

I've turned off the facebook app totally as this it's what's using all of the data.
I had a 1320 on fast ring and I never had this amount of problems with data usage.

facebook is a big user of data, I'm sure you'll see some improvements

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Been reading this thread out of curiosity. I have a 1520 and the battery is getting long in the tooth and a bit temperamental the last couple of months, at more than two years old I can't complain but have made a note to self (Only buy phones with easily swappable batteries in future).

The last couple of weeks it has got much worst, and if I used Edge during work (Out of house for 11 hours and on a motorbike so not easy to recharge) the battery would die and phone shut down and every day this week this had happened after half my shift.

I am going to change my phone, I was hanging on for an HP later this year but may now go for a 950 that I can give to the wife when the HP arrives and stock is available.

Anyway I decided through seeing this thread and found that Microsoft Health (I have a Band) was using 50+% of battery usage and most of that was in background and that my background usage was more than "In use". I turned it to Not Allowed.

Last night I got home with 42% of battery left ;-)

And on checking now (I didn't use Edge on it last night) I am 97% in use and 3% in background.

So battery usage is now pinned to start, my 1520 can limp on for a few more weeks (Still going for a 950 for the wife that I will use for a few months) and I already know to make sure I shut Edge down properly after using.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Been reading this thread out of curiosity. I have a 1520 and the battery is getting long in the tooth and a bit temperamental the last couple of months, at more than two years old I can't complain but have made a note to self (Only buy phones with easily swappable batteries in future).

The last couple of weeks it has got much worst, and if I used Edge during work (Out of house for 11 hours and on a motorbike so not easy to recharge) the battery would die and phone shut down and every day this week this had happened after half my shift.

I am going to change my phone, I was hanging on for an HP later this year but may now go for a 950 that I can give to the wife when the HP arrives and stock is available.

Anyway I decided through seeing this thread and found that Microsoft Health (I have a Band) was using 50+% of battery usage and most of that was in background and that my background usage was more than "In use". I turned it to Not Allowed.

Last night I got home with 42% of battery left ;-)

And on checking now (I didn't use Edge on it last night) I am 97% in use and 3% in background.

So battery usage is now pinned to start, my 1520 can limp on for a few more weeks (Still going for a 950 for the wife that I will use for a few months) and I already know to make sure I shut Edge down properly after using.

it's usually one app that uses so much battery power that results in an overall hit on the battery, Can be Cortana, edge, whatsapp, facebook, health etc. Once you find it and lock it out, you're good to go

crunchbangyou

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Most of your suggestions are very ridiculous ones!! I mean you almost disable everything and why do you need a smart phone? What is the point in running the phone on battery saver mode all the time. It might surprisingly serve your purpose but most would disagree. I agree the battery is a big concern but I wouldn't stop using the phone cuz I wanted to save battery. You could stop apps running in background. But apart from that, lets use the phone as we want to and charge it whenever possible :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb