Metro Screen in Desktop mode?

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Metro Screen in Desktop mode

I was wondering is there when you are in desktop mode on a Surface Pro 3 that the machine can boot up displaying the metro screen instead of the desktop screen? Also is there a way to make the metro screen the default screen when in desktop mode? I am running build 14342.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Metro Screen in Desktop mode

Unfortunately the only way to do this is to set W10 to boot in tablet mode. This is not ideal, as the keypress for tablet mode was removed before W10 release so you can't set an ie. mouse button or touchpad gesture to simply swipe to the desktop. Can't even be scripted as far as I can see. Nice one MS. So, tablet mode is made difficult to use on the desktop by restricting the method of activation so narrowly. They also removed the ability to boot to start screen with tablet mode switched off because otherwise you might use the live tiles and get attracted to store apps which would support developers. Only reason I can fathom.

MS huh? Gotta love 'em.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately the only way to do this is to set W10 to boot in tablet mode. This is not ideal, as the keypress for tablet mode was removed before W10 release so you can't set an ie.

Are you sure? You can have the full screen start menu WITHOUT entering tablet mode and the keyboard, when in dialog boxes, can appear when you touch the screen. This makes using a Surface Pro/tablet device a lot easier

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Originally posted by excalibur1814
Originally Posted by AndyCalling
Unfortunately the only way to do this is to set W10 to boot in tablet mode. This is not ideal, as the keypress for tablet mode was removed before W10 release so you can't set an ie.

Are you sure? You can have the full screen start menu WITHOUT entering tablet mode and the keyboard, when in dialog boxes, can appear when you touch the screen. This makes using a Surface Pro/tablet device a lot easier

Yes, you can do that and I do. Unfortunately simply turning on the Start Screen does not change the fact that it boots to desktop, and returns to desktop every time you close an app, meaning the live tiles cease to become the main 'hub' and so they fail to be a good way to highlight data. The only way to boot to the Start Screen is to boot to tablet mode, with the issues I describe. Feel free to test it yourself (takes but a moment). If you can find a solution, then you are the champion of the internet as far as I'm concerned.

I did find a group policy for enabling boot to start screen, but it is completely bugged and has no effect. Upon reporting I see no evidence that MS are going to address the bug, and in fact they've removed the old boot to start screen setting (beyond group policy) presumably because they don't want to highlight yet another bug/removed feature from W10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss