How to help improve the win10 mobile situation

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Buy the OEM phones. From the low end ones all the way to up to the flagships like the hp elite and acer. Let's at least get the majority of windows phones I'm the world balanced. Nokia/Microsoft can't still be taking over over 90% of all windows phones sold. (Now discuss and stuff)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Buy the OEM phones. From the low end ones all the way to up to the flagships like the hp elite and acer. Let's at least get the majority of windows phones I'm the world balanced. Nokia/Microsoft can't still be taking over over 90% of all windows phones sold. (Now discuss and stuff)

the main problem is that the phone models other than those from MS aren't available yet in most countries. Take for example the vaio phone biz, only available in Japan

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's 2016, everything's available everywhere.

Really? I spent 2 years looking for a camera grip for my 1020 in Kenya, no one had it and no one has it. Only way I got one was when a friend went to the states to get one for me
Same thing with Bing rewards
Same thing with MS portable charger DC-34 (12000mAh power bank)
Same thing with white lumia 1020
Same thing with telescopes
And same thing with MS band

So many products aren't available in so many countries. :eck: :angry:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It's 2016, everything's available everywhere.

I'd be a little sceptical in saying that but if so, what hoops does one have to jump through in order to acquire, IMO the “ease” of obtaining a WP is one of its downfalls and this has little to do with convenience, rather more of a statement as to how well the platform is doing in the mobile world.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've tried BLU Win HD and Win HD LTE. Quite enjoyed them both and then sold them. I don't dismiss them at all. I have a tendency to try lots of different things and dabble with them.

Eyeballing the Coship Moly X1, but also waiting to see what the next iteration will bring.

The one I'd most like to get my hands on seemingly won't be coming to NA and if imported would not have the radio needed - NuAns Neo.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I didn't say you're going to get it easy. Some things you will, for others you have to try a bit harder. I live in Serbia, and you basicly have no official support for anything WP / MS related. But you have 3rd party resellers, you have Amazon and similar services. Yeah, I get that it's really great when your carrier offers you a WP (or whatever you want) and you don't have to do anything other than sign a paper, but most of the times it's not that easy.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I didn't say you're going to get it easy. Some things you will, for others you have to try a bit harder. I live in Serbia, and you basicly have no official support for anything WP / MS related. But you have 3rd party resellers, you have Amazon and similar services. Yeah, I get that it's really great when your carrier offers you a WP (or whatever you want) and you don't have to do anything other than sign a paper, but most of the times it's not that easy.

The bottom line though is "who's going to suffer" if a product is hard to get which means it doesn’t equate to “popularity”, obviously not the consumer because they will just go elsewhere for their needs, in the end WM suffers which doesn’t bar well for the platform, no one wants to jump on a ship that “looks” like it is sinking, I sure don’t.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't think we're gonna see any of those devices in emerging markets anytime soon though. What saddens me the most is the fact that the exact same thing is gonna happen to whatever new W10M device MSFT comes up with. Their new marketing strategy is selective for a reason, I think. Myself and dozens of other people will have to stick with our current Lumia handsets till they stop working and, perhaps, migrate to iOS or Android. One more thing that matters to me is the PureView Zeiss technology so having to choose one of those phones could prove to be an issue. What can I say - I'm really picky.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to have the HP elite X3 but already have the 950XL. I mean only thing I know I would be sacrificing is the camera as I doubt HP has one as good as this one. I'm not a huge camera guy though camera quality between devices these days is not easily distinguishable by your average consumer. But I'd also love to see how large it actually is compared to the 950XL. It's a 6 inch screen. And problem is it will likely only be available online unless MS stores carry it too. But my issue is I always want the latest and greatest. I have to hold myself back till 2017 which is supposed to be the year of innovation from MS, Apple and Samsung.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Another way to help the W10M situation is to support developers in every way you can, as many of them as you can. Developers need to make money. If, for instance, developing for Windows 10 Mobile returned a greater profit per user, that would be incentive to develop for W10 and W10M.

Money makes the world go round. Vote with your cash.

Just an idea.
Best Wishes

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd be a little sceptical in saying that but if so, what hoops does one have to jump through in order to acquire, IMO the ?ease? of obtaining a WP is one of its downfalls and this has little to do with convenience, rather more of a statement as to how well the platform is doing in the mobile world.

well... kind of, I'm lucky enough to live in the Caribbean but have an address in Miami so essentially if it hits the US I can have it, maybe I'm not alone in this?

btw I don't think there's much we can do to "support" anything if Microsoft itself is not doing its part(background work is meaningless until it shows up), for now I'd rather not say how bad is this or that since they clearly said the next push is for 2017, so lets save the energy for when we actually have a fighting chance

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Whilst die-hard fans and consumers in general have power, for OEM phones there likely needs to be the right desire/fit to strategy from Microsoft, thus enabling their commercial relationships to be initiated and developed. We know Microsoft's publicly available strategy but less about how they'll resource it and enable a seismic shift within markets, especially those outside of their chosen favoured ones.

Their mobile track record hasn't been too strong imo and my sense is that their current strategy will potentially discourage greater volumes of app development that is needed to prevent widespread criticism from outside of the fan base. I may be wrong but I sense that their current target market segments will be discouraged due to their users demand for apps that they'd use for their personal lives, so that handsets would become the 24/7 device, rather than one that would largely have relevance for work related activity. The concept of people needing to transport less devices around is great, which continuum helps to satisfy. If people still resort to having a mobile on another platform, so that they have access to service needs addressed via non-Window's apps, then it undermines that strategy, creating ill-feeling amongst end users; that will feed up to buyers within such organisations and would deter them against future implementation and purchases.

Sure, a loyal fan base has influence but Microsoft, even if targeting a niche segment in the market, isn't operating in isolation from a wider market that has dominant players addressing personal and business needs. In the end people aren't, for example, built to only have business or personal needs, we have both - and our needs run all through the day.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
btw I don't think there's much we can do to "support" anything if Microsoft itself is not doing its part(background work is meaningless until it shows up), for now I'd rather not say how bad is this or that since they clearly said the next push is for 2017, so lets save the energy for when we actually have a fighting chance

I think you are absolutely right, we are at the mercy of MS to deliver and until they do it?s the old ?stuck between a rock and a hard place? scenario.

Nothing wrong with putting a positive spin on things yet believe you are the minority. If this were some experimental venture by MS I doubt the outlook would be nearly the same, but when many have invested so much into a platform that they depend on as their daily driver that changes, it was compounded when W8.1 looked to be progressing reasonably well then there was an abrupt ?change of direction?, add into the mix device availability dwindled or has become less prominent in the mobile market, and the ?soons? turned into ?eons?.

In my camp it was all about getting er done with the least amount of hassles, as well, keeping somewhat mainstream, W8.1 gave me some of those assurances yet, to-date, W10M and what has evolved comes nowhere close, I find the latter so disjointed that my confidence in WM now has diminished drastically, yep I?m sad about it too even though we?ve moved on? As luck (good/bad?) would have it I can?t even sell my WPs so we get to keep toying with the platform, for awhile anyways.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've tried BLU Win HD and Win HD LTE. Quite enjoyed them both and then sold them. I don't dismiss them at all. I have a tendency to try lots of different things and dabble with them..
This.
It's fun to dabble, even if it drives me crazy or frustrates me.

I have purchased a 550, which I liked the size of, but the camera wasn't enough for me to keep it. It doesn't make sense to keep something that doesn't work for you (in an important way) for the sake of the platform.

I had my eye on the Acer Liquid M330 (I think?) to try out against the 435 (on W10M) but I don't know about that for me at this time.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think you are absolutely right, we are at the mercy of MS to deliver and until they do it?s the old ?stuck between a rock and a hard place? scenario.

Nothing wrong with putting a positive spin on things yet believe you are the minority. If this were some experimental venture by MS I doubt the outlook would be nearly the same, but when many have invested so much into a platform that they depend on as their daily driver that changes, it was compounded when W8.1 looked to be progressing reasonably well then there was an abrupt ?change of direction?, add into the mix device availability dwindled or has become less prominent in the mobile market, and the ?soons? turned into ?eons?.

In my camp it was all about getting er done with the least amount of hassles, as well, keeping somewhat mainstream, W8.1 gave me some of those assurances yet, to-date, W10M and what has evolved comes nowhere close, I find the latter so disjointed that my confidence in WM now has diminished drastically, yep I?m sad about it too even though we?ve moved on? As luck (good/bad?) would have it I can?t even sell my WPs so we get to keep toying with the platform, for awhile anyways.

I agree with you and EspHack. Microsoft is not at this point able to show a convincing reason to believe in Windows Mobile, and as much as I like it, I'm not going to go out of my way to support it for now. I'm not giving up entirely, but I've picked up an Android phone and I've been swapping between it and my Lumia 640 based on my mood, However, the reality is that I'm using my Android phone as my daily driver mostly, and it'll be up to Microsoft to make a case for me to change my mind. I'm not giving up on W10M completely though. In my case I didn't spend much on the 640 so I'm happy keeping it around to explore how W10M evolves. (The nice thing is that since it's not my primary phone anymore, I'm not worried about stability so I feel comfortable switching it back to the fast ring on the Insider builds :grin:)

In my case the final straw was Microsoft not upgrading the majority of the older handsets to W10M. I had been running the insider previews on a Lumia 925 and also a 635 (512MB version) and while the early builds were rough on those phones - and lets face it, they were rough on all the phones, even the 950 series - by the time they made their announcement, it had improved significantly across the board, and quite honestly the latest builds seem to run fine on those older devices. The big problem to me is that in giving up on upgrading the bulk of existing devices, Microsoft in my mind demonstrated a complete lack of resolve. When they made a break in going from Windows Mobile 6.X to Win Phone 7, they were changing the UX paradigm as well has hardware (resistive touchscreens with styluses to capacitive touch screens.) So not upgrading old devices made sense. When they upgraded from Win Phone 7.X to 8.0, it sort of made sense. They were fundamentally changing the kernel architecture from CE to NT and runtime (Silverlight to Win(P)RT). So big changes. But with Windows 8.1 to 10.0 the changes weren't that great; it was like they just didn't have their heart in it anymore. And this was at a time when sales of new phones with Windows 10M were falling off a cliff. So it really split an already small market with the majority of phones not able to run W10 UWP apps, limiting the market for those even more.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not us either, we can't buy everything... The best I can do is keep using it and having my close circle use it. Like my whole family :)

If people ask me about it, I won't say oh you need to have it but I will talk why I keep a microsoft phone instead of the more popular ones.

Microsoft just needs to really get those OEMs putting out phones in their little markets so that there are options. If there were some phones to choose from everywhere at least it gets out there. I mean the OS is fine anything pretty much, so just get it out there. ROMs taking over existing phones seems very interesting but it appears to take a long time for it to come out to specific devices, it lost it's steam. If they could provide a method to just install w10mobile on almost any phone rather than specific brand that would be cool. There are probably lots of older android laggy phones that can be reclaimed :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually in addition to my last comment, my Dad is actually still running a old Nexus... would love to install windows on it because my parents don't feel it's necessary to get a whole new phone when an old one is working (my mom has a 640). Then they can have matching everything and will be just easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb