Is it worth buying a 640 or 650 right now?

Shaoor Munir

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I want to buy a new phone right now. I am a student right now and don't really have the budget to buy a high end phone. I was wondering if there is any sense in buying a 640 or 650 right now, when I can get a nexus 5x by throwing in a little bit more money (albeit probably without warranty). I don't think lower end Lumia phones will be supported well in the long run. I was wondering if anyone could guide me here, which direction should I go into?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If you are after long support then go with the 650. The 650 is better than the 640 in every way except that it doesn't have Glance.
If you like Android then buy a Nexus 5x

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I want to buy a new phone right now. I am a student right now and don't really have the budget to buy a high end phone. I was wondering if there is any sense in buying a 640 or 650 right now, when I can get a nexus 5x by throwing in a little bit more money (albeit probably without warranty). I don't think lower end Lumia phones will be supported well in the long run. I was wondering if anyone could guide me here, which direction should I go into?

me neither, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get past "anniversary" and to be honest I have to ask, why do you want a w10m over a fine nexus 5? glance screen?

650 got Glance!

it actually has an even better glance! because AMOLED

Shaoor Munir

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
me neither, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get past "anniversary" and to be honest I have to ask, why do you want a w10m over a fine nexus 5? glance screen?

it actually has an even better glance! because AMOLED

Nexus 5x has a version of glance, I think. I have had a Lumia phone for two years, so it feels bad leaving the platform now. That is why I am very hesitant in buying anything other than W10M.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I would have said buy the 640 a few weeks ago, but now I am getting tired of things not working, bugs, and also the apparent lack of long-term commitment from Microsoft. You can count on Google sticking with Android in the long run, and you also tie in to the entire Google ecosystem of services that are very useful, particularly for consumers: Gmail, Drive, Photos, Hangouts/other messaging, Chrome OS, etc. Soon you will be able to run Android apps on a Chromebook. Google is focused on consumers. Microsoft is focused on business.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5x has a version of glance, I think. I have had a Lumia phone for two years, so it feels bad leaving the platform now. That is why I am very hesitant in buying anything other than W10M.

but have you tried w10m? or are you still on 8.1? in any case I would recommend to wait for that anniversary update buzz to pass, we will probably have more buying options after that, the 650 is good all around but with such a weak cpu it just doesn't look good for even a year usage considering recent wp developments

if you can get a 640 for like 30$ then by all means go ahead there's nothing to lose that way, but if you're deciding between a nexus and a 640-650 at MSRP there's no way I can recommend a lumia over a nexus

How much of a difference does that make? Can anyone tell his/her experience?

if you have to ask that question... I think its obvious there wont be any, nothing that can be statistically measured with any degree of certainty, for some people it will be a miracle, for others it will not matter, and some will have it worse, with w10m there's no certainty of anything, I dare say its just a big chunk of placebo effect in most cases,

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It has Ambient Display. Unfortunately, it is fickle with how well it works. The 640 or the 830 (if you can find it) is the best bet imo, since you would be able to choose if you would rather use W10M or go back to 8.1.

However, the 5x is solid. The battery life was something that really annoyed me about it. I always found myself running to a charger either at work or by 5pm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs