Activation of OS after upgrading or change of PC

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I purchased Windows 7 32 bit OS and got it installed in my desktop PC using the product key. In response to Microsoft free up-gradation offer to Windows 10, I upgraded the OS to Windows 10. My PC is a little bit old one and moreover I use PATA HDD. The prevoius OS (Win 7) and afterwards the present upgraded OS (Win 10) were installed in the said PATA HDD. At present the PC creates some problems due to its old age and needs a change. I have decided to purchase a brand new desktop PC altogether i.e. the processor, the motherboard and the HDD all will be new. But here the question arises. I have with me the original Win 7 OS upgraded to Win 10 which I want to install in my brand new PC. But the issue relating to activation of OS in a new PC is the main question in my mind. If I shall simply install the OS in the new one and want it to be activated using original product key, does it creates any problem during activation? I just want to install and run the Win 10, which is installed already in my present PC, in the said new PC. Someone has told me that activation may not be possible because all components (processor, motherboard & HDD) are new and Microsoft may refuse to recognize and activate the OS. I am in a complete dilemma in this respect. I need your help. Please advice me as to how I can install, activate and run the present installed OS i.e Win 10 in the said new PC. I seek your help as because buying another new OS creates additional financial burden on me.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I purchased Windows 7 32 bit OS and got it installed in my desktop PC using the product key. In response to Microsoft free up-gradation offer to Windows 10, I upgraded the OS to Windows 10. My PC is a little bit old one and moreover I use PATA HDD. The prevoius OS (Win 7) and afterwards the present upgraded OS (Win 10) were installed in the said PATA HDD. At present the PC creates some problems due to its old age and needs a change. I have decided to purchase a brand new desktop PC altogether i.e. the processor, the motherboard and the HDD all will be new. But here the question arises. I have with me the original Win 7 OS upgraded to Win 10 which I want to install in my brand new PC. But the issue relating to activation of OS in a new PC is the main question in my mind. If I shall simply install the OS in the new one and want it to be activated using original product key, does it creates any problem during activation? I just want to install and run the Win 10, which is installed already in my present PC, in the said new PC. Someone has told me that activation may not be possible because all components (processor, motherboard & HDD) are new and Microsoft may refuse to recognize and activate the OS. I am in a complete dilemma in this respect. I need your help. Please advice me as to how I can install, activate and run the present installed OS i.e Win 10 in the said new PC. I seek your help as because buying another new OS creates additional financial burden on me.
I assume your Windows 7 key to be a retail key, thereby having transfer rights. So, after upgrading to Windows 10, your Windows 10 installation is also under a retail license. After installing Windows 10 on your new PC, you can do the telephone activation and convince the support staff about the same. But, on the condition that a license would work on a single PC at a time. That is you can't have activated Windows on both your old and new desktop

What will happen to my saved files if i upgrade windows 7 to windows 10?

If you use the upgrade option, all your files would be intact. Though I would still suggest you to take a backup in case something goes awry.
But if you go through the clean install method, you'll lose files.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"What will happen to my saved files if i upgrade windows 7 to windows 10?"

Always, always, always, ALWAYS create a backup of your files before the upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans