Windows 10 Mobile browser alternatives

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
So Windows 10 Mobile has been around a few months now. What are the best options for a browser to use with it?

1. I am currently using the UC Browser. However, after updating my Lumia 640 from Windows 8.1 to 10 last weekend, it is not logging in properly to certain forums now and I cannot seem to figure out a fix for it. Also, UC crashes a lot, and has the annoying tendency to go to a "white screen" when typing posts and replies, effectively erasing them, which is VERY annoying.

2. Firefox would be great, if it was available for Windows 10. But it isn't.

3. Edge does not have extensions and from all I can tell (I have not turned it on yet), Microsoft still does not "get it" yet on the browser front, even after all of these years.

4. Opera appears to be a viable option for the Windows desktop, but for mobile, not so much.

5. Chrome is Google, which is an environment I am trying to steer clear of, along with Facebook (which does not have its own browser yet, as far as I am aware).

6. I downloaded Surfy last weekend, but there is a lack of basic functionality in the ability to organize favorites and a few other basic things that made me shake my head and uninstall it.

So what do you think? What am I missing? Also, is there a good browser possibly coming down the pike for Windows 10 Mobile?

All this talk about a lack of apps for Windows Mobile has never impressed me much, as I don't want or need thousands of apps. But I do need one good app in particular - a good browser. Which as far as I can tell for Windows 10 Mobile, does not appear to exist just yet. This one deficiency really is quite major and it is really disappointing.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So Windows 10 Mobile has been around a few months now. What are the best options for a browser to use with it?

1. I am currently using the UC Browser. However, after updating my Lumia 640 from Windows 8.1 to 10 last weekend, it is not logging in properly to certain forums now and I cannot seem to figure out a fix for it. Also, UC crashes a lot, and has the annoying tendency to go to a "white screen" when typing posts and replies, effectively erasing them, which is VERY annoying.

2. Firefox would be great, if it was available for Windows 10. But it isn't.

3. Edge does not have extensions and from all I can tell (I have not turned it on yet), Microsoft still does not "get it" yet on the browser front, even after all of these years.

4. Opera appears to be a viable option for the Windows desktop, but for mobile, not so much.

5. Chrome is Google, which is an environment I am trying to steer clear of, along with Facebook (which does not have its own browser yet, as far as I am aware).

6. I downloaded Surfy last weekend, but there is a lack of basic functionality in the ability to organize favorites and a few other basic things that made me shake my head and uninstall it.

So what do you think? What am I missing? Also, is there a good browser possibly coming down the pike for Windows 10 Mobile?

All this talk about a lack of apps for Windows Mobile has never impressed me much, as I don't want or need thousands of apps. But I do need one good app in particular - a good browser. Which as far as I can tell for Windows 10 Mobile, does not appear to exist just yet. This one deficiency really is quite major and it is really disappointing.

I would suggest you uninstall UC browser and install it back afresh. It has always worked for me and it should for you too.
I also suggest you try out edge browser if you haven't done so already. let your own experience decide for you, not what others have said

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Facebook (which does not have its own browser yet, as far as I am aware)..

lol you haven't seen their latest beta app for w10? if you try to open a link it has an in-app browser now and you have to dig some option to "open in browser"

:angry:

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Honestly there is no good alternative for Edge. The browser selection is absolutely mediocre on the Windows App Store. No Chrome which is fast, no Firefox, no Dolphin Browser, Surfy is all over the place and not organized and its slow, UC Browser I've never used as well as Opera

#TeamLumia 950 XL

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Honestly there is no good alternative for Edge. The browser selection is absolutely mediocre on the Windows App Store. No Chrome which is fast, no Firefox, no Dolphin Browser, Surfy is all over the place and not organized and its slow, UC Browser I've never used as well as Opera

#TeamLumia 950 XL

so try both opera and UC browser - I recommend UC, especially in speed mode, it saves so much data

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I typed/selected one website, it brought me to some dubious sites and there's no way out, not even opening a new tab. UnInstalled and reset phone.

It modified phone host file surely, so phone itself would be redirect to 3rd party malicious sites. That's redirecting attack, not malware or virus attack.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It modified phone host file surely, so phone itself would be redirect to 3rd party malicious sites. That's redirecting attack, not malware or virus attack.

but how bad is that generally? I've never experienced that personally from 2 years of using UC browser. Maybe the site was already iffy from the start :excited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
but how bad is that generally? I've never experienced that personally from 2 years of using UC browser. Maybe the site was already iffy from the start :excited:

It happened to me once with Edge in 8.1, I was obliged to tap back key repeatly for taking control again, damned popup scam banners!!!! I blocket it via my router filter, and monthly update fixed everything.
Never happened again.
Sure the visited site is the culprit

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I find most third party browsers are not well optimized for viewing, especially those device with big screen like 1520. The screen is so big, but contents displayed is like on 3 inch display.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend Edge. It was flaky at first but with the latest fast ring build it works flawlessly. Opera is a no hope and UC Browser doesn't seem as speedy as Edge

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I find most third party browsers are not well optimized for viewing, especially those device with big screen like 1520. The screen is so big, but contents displayed is like on 3 inch display.

If you have tried UC browser, you can change font size so more can fit in the screen space. Long press any word and options for font resizing will come up

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend Edge. It was flaky at first but with the latest fast ring build it works flawlessly. Opera is a no hope and UC Browser doesn't seem as speedy as Edge

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Does Edge require you to login to anything to use it? One of the reasons I am steering clear of Google and Facebook is all the privacy issues. What sort of mandatory tracking and monitoring is built into Edge by Microsoft, does anyone know?

Also, I want to be able to block ads and stuff. The early impression I have gotten about Edge is that it is designed by Microsoft, primarily with Microsoft's needs and benefits in mind, and not those of the user. I am already going through a process with this Windows phone and the new Windows 10 operating system. I sure was hoping that I would at least have access to a browser that worked that I didn't have to wrestle with the maker about who was supposed to be the beneficiary from me using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)