W10M Official 10586.420 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Inactive)

WAG357

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
If I were you, and I had data I wanted to keep, on that card, I'd connect it to a PC, and pull it all over, for safe-keeping.
Either way, if you get a new card, it's the easier way to transfer the data to a new card, so it'll kill two birds...
I'd probably jettison that card too, I think a good 128GB card is going for about 35-45 right now.

I was wrong. The phone was working well for about 2 hours then turned itself off again without the SD card installed.
I would think it is hardware but it is only happening with the .420 update
I need to figure something else out. My phone is totally unusable at this point.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.420 Issues (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

FINALLY!!
BATTERY PROBLEM SOLVED :D

actually i looked deeper and into every system app.
and at last i found that problem in outlook mail.
in managing accounts setting in "outlook mail" app
my microsoft live account was syncing continuously day and night without even stopping for a second.

i checked it again and again within some hours and it was syncing as usual. and couldn't change that settings because of ongoing syncing.

so i restarted my phone and then without wasting a moment i opened mail app , then managing accounts setting. it hasnt started syncing at that moment , so i opened it and unchecked the 'sync' option and saved.

so my outlook mail account disappeared from the Mail app... and now i sit here to observe that my battery just went down 1% in 2 and 1/2 hour of time after that..

so happy now...and revealed that i dont need to do any hard reset which i was kind of thinking about before.
Can u screenshot where u unchecked the sun option for outlook? I couldn't find this anywhere?

Don't u need your outlook account to sync your contacts info?

Sent from mTalk

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.420 Issues (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

Can u screenshot where u unchecked the sun option for outlook? I couldn't find this anywhere?

Don't u need your outlook account to sync your contacts info?

Sent from mTalk

- It's under Settings->Accounts->Your Email and Accounts
- From here, click on the account in question xxyyzz@outlook.com for example and then the "Manage" Button.
- Next choose "Change mailbox sync settings" and then choose the "Download New Content" dropdown.

I have mine set to hourly, and then you can always sync immediately, from the Outlook app, if required.
Even every 15 minutes is a LOT better than Push, or "as items arrive" as they term it in the dropdown. If you choose "as items arrive" it'll constantly poll, and nuke your battery, although it really shouldn't be as bad as you're seeing, I'm guessing there's an App bug that will get fixed, at some point...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I was wrong. The phone was working well for about 2 hours then turned itself off again without the SD card installed.
I would think it is hardware but it is only happening with the .420 update
I need to figure something else out. My phone is totally unusable at this point.

There's a way to set up "Event Viewer", or "Trace Logs" as they call it on W10Mobile.
It does involve installing a PC app, and connecting the two, but would likely yield whatever is happening leading up to your phone powering off.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn757487(v=vs.85).aspx
Specifically, this shows how to extract just the power events:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn757490(v=vs.85).aspx
There may be other ways to get event logging on W10Mobile, but this is the one I'm aware of.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Is Wi-fi calling for the Lumia 640 finally working in this build? I know it does not work on the RS builds. Has anyone had any luck getting it to work on the 10586 Builds? If not, then I will have to stay on 8.1 for my trip overseas, so that I can use Wi-fi to save on Int'l roaming charges.

alen4430

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Sorry guys for my bad english. But I have problem with Lumia 640 dual sim. I don't know is the difference so big in Lumia 640 normal and 640 XL, but I have a lot of problems, especially now on this build. I've made update from 8.1 to 10 last week and I did also make a Hard reset, without any backup made or something like that. Now I have problem that my device is really hot, sometimes even by internet surfing I can't hold my phone anymore in hands. I don't know why is this problem and I can't see anything that drains my battery so quickly. Also, my phone was already 2 times on repair, on service center, and they didn't find anything unusual. I have also problems with my touch screen, but they changed it already (changed display, camera flex cable..). Can you tell my should I go back on 8.1 or should I stay on .420? Generally I have a lot of problems with my smartphone, GPS needs around 10 minutes to find my location, Wi-Fi disconnects when he wants..Can you tell me what are your suggestions with this phone? I don't really want to go on Android or iOS:asleep:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys for my bad english. But I have problem with Lumia 640 dual sim. I don't know is the difference so big in Lumia 640 normal and 640 XL, but I have a lot of problems, especially now on this build. I've made update from 8.1 to 10 last week and I did also make a Hard reset, without any backup made or something like that. Now I have problem that my device is really hot, sometimes even by internet surfing I can't hold my phone anymore in hands. I don't know why is this problem and I can't see anything that drains my battery so quickly. Also, my phone was already 2 times on repair, on service center, and they didn't find anything unusual. I have also problems with my touch screen, but they changed it already (changed display, camera flex cable..). Can you tell my should I go back on 8.1 or should I stay on .420? Generally I have a lot of problems with my smartphone, GPS needs around 10 minutes to find my location, Wi-Fi disconnects when he wants..Can you tell me what are your suggestions with this phone? I don't really want to go on Android or iOS:asleep:

A few things you can try out:

1. Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  2. Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  3. In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  4. In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  5. What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  6. If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  7. In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  8. When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  9. If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  10. In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  11. Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  12. Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
So I just updated my 640XL to .420 last night. Never hard reset or anything as it restart on its own.

Charged my phone to 100% batt, facebook and browse a bit before going to sleep then woke up with 94% batt... pretty good.

Seems like nothing changes and in fact that all release preview I've used are all stable :)

Your experience reassures me. :)

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

2. Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  3. In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  4. In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  5. What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  6. If you find that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  7. In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  8. When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  9. If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  10. In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  11. Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  12. Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

Very informative, thanks a bunch. :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Kind of joke ... would you like to use you phone? Turn off all feature ... that's the Microsoft way:(

I'm assuming your comment is pointed at mine :wink:

I'm not saying switch off the phone. I'm saying save where you can. Just because you have electricity at home doesn't mean you should leave the lights on during the daytime too. Similarly for the phone, don't need wifi? Switch off. Don't need word to run in background? Disable. You're on 10% battery without a charger nearby and 10 apps decide to auto update- what do you think happens to your battery?

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming your comment is pointed at mine :wink:

I'm not saying switch off the phone. I'm saying save where you can. Just because you have electricity at home doesn't mean you should leave the lights on during the daytime too. Similarly for the phone, don't need wifi? Switch off. Don't need word to run in background? Disable. You're on 10% battery without a charger nearby and 10 apps decide to auto update- what do you think happens to your battery?

Yeah, I tell people the same thing.
Save your phone battery, save electricity, save your money, save the planet and most importantly save your sanity.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

2. Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need
  3. In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi

Hope this helps you
how do you do this? I don't see a option to only upload when it's on the charger and on WiFi or high res options

Sent from mTalk

alen4430

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks @Chintan, here are answers: :)
1.Microsoft Edge is using 46%, after that is Whatsapp with 19% and Viber with 10%
2)Apps that are enabled for background were around 10-15, I will try with it (thanks)
3)I've set on 20%, and I don't left even that my battery come to 30%, when it's around 35,40% it's already on charger
4)Sync is turned off, I don't even use hotmail.
5)Auto is always better, and it's on auto set.
6)Skype is turned off, also, after hard reset I've turned that option off.
7)No, snyc with everything in cloud is turned off, you don't need to worry about that.
8)Thanks, I will try with it, maybe it can help.
9)I will try now with "Coc Coc Browser", it looks like better option than Edge.
Okay, my auto update for apps is turned off, I update it manually, when I need.
Thank you for this informations and suggestions :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks @Chintan, here are answers: :)
1.Microsoft Edge is using 46%, after that is Whatsapp with 19% and Viber with 10%
2)Apps that are enabled for background were around 10-15, I will try with it (thanks)
3)I've set on 20%, and I don't left even that my battery come to 30%, when it's around 35,40% it's already on charger
4)Sync is turned off, I don't even use hotmail.
5)Auto is always better, and it's on auto set.
6)Skype is turned off, also, after hard reset I've turned that option off.
7)No, snyc with everything in cloud is turned off, you don't need to worry about that.
8)Thanks, I will try with it, maybe it can help.
9)I will try now with "Coc Coc Browser", it looks like better option than Edge.
Okay, my auto update for apps is turned off, I update it manually, when I need.
Thank you for this informations and suggestions :)

in your case edge uses a lot - so you can work on reducing that - I've given suggestions for alternative browsers which I see you'll try out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss