Ad Blocker for Edge

PF Mail

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
What are you guys using to block ads in Edge? Or maybe you guys just don't use Edge? I have no idea how ad heavy this site is until trying Edge.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for add-on support for Edge to try it again but I'll probably stick with Firefox for now; fits in better across my devices.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Some of us are using the hosts file to block, have a look at this thread.

Works for me and makes this site in particular workable:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/edge/371442-edge-behaving-even-windows-central-heres-why.html

Does fiddling with host files also block ads in the news app?

Speaking of that app, it is most annoying on the phone, but I gather adblock won't help there.

I like the idea of edge and the drawing on webpages and then email a photo of it is nice. But with no adblock, I don't like using it. I absolutely hate ads. Crossing fingers that adblock will also be available for the phone.

PF Mail

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Does fiddling with host files also block ads in the news app?

Speaking of that app, it is most annoying on the phone, but I gather adblock won't help there.

I like the idea of edge and the drawing on webpages and then email a photo of it is nice. But with no adblock, I don't like using it. I absolutely hate ads. Crossing fingers that adblock will also be available for the phone.

It looks like AdBlock Plus is available for the Insider builds. AdBlock Plus slows down Internet Explorer, so hopefully they do a better job on Edge.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
It looks like AdBlock Plus is available for the Insider builds. AdBlock Plus slows down Internet Explorer, so hopefully they do a better job on Edge.

Argh! We can't win, can we?

I'm on production, not on insider, so I will have to wait. I have now tried the host-file extension, and it does look like it blocks ads in the news app too. However, unlike adblock, it doesn't reflow the page, so you get huge blocks of nothing. I guess though, that that is the route I will go if it slows down edge (too) much. Or I'll just stick with FF with ABP.

I reverted back to the original host file after about fifteen minutes because the huge holes was almost as off-putting as the adverts, and the host file hack doesn't really allows you to "tag" adverts that went through as adverts (i.e. like you can do in Adblock Plus).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)