Adding a new folder to the new One Drive App?

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
When I try to add a new folder in the new One Drive app (and the folder is not synced on my PC) then I'm taken back to the local file explorer and given the opportunity to create a new folder on my PC which is nowhere near where I want the folder to be. Anyone else have this same problem?

Ideally I would remain in the new One Drive app and be allowed to add the new folder where I want it. If I wanted to sync it I could check a box somewhere.

This new One Drive app is minimally better than the old one on 10. Still loving the placeholders in 8.1 and keeping my real work computer on it until they come to 10.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just tried and made a "New folder" using the app and it worked, of course that new folder is also showing up on the desktop folders under OneDrive.

I also just made another one inside an existing folder.

OneDrive is cloud storage (I know you know that).

As far as I can see you can have any directory structure inside OneDrive that you want, how you see it will always be the same whether on the new app or the desktop folder structure, it's just another way of looking at OneDrive, what you choose to sync using the desktop structure is controllable, just go into this PC and right click on OneDrive and you can choose what folders to sync.

EDIT:

Just had a look and although you can choose what folders to sync, it appears that this only applies to folders in the root of OneDrive, if for example you have OneDrive with six folders, you can choose to Sync any or none of them, but subfolders take on whatever you have chosen for the root folders.

So lets say you have a folder called Pictures, and you create a subfolder like I have called Nikon, and folder Pictures is set to Sync, then all stuff inside Nikon will also sync.

To solve this if it is a problem, create a the new folder in the root called Nikon and set it not to Sync.

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Another thing you can do from the right click on OneDrive in the desktop folder area is choose to view via the web (There are other way to get there as well) and I tried to use the web to make a new folder with no problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3