After the last 2 updates, older apps won't load. Anyone else experiencing this?

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
After last 2 updates, older apps won't load. Anyone else experiencing this?

So, I'm running the latest Insider build from the fast ring on a Lumia 1520. I was hoping this build would fix the issue that has developed since the previous two updates.

Only W10M apps load. Anything older or WP8.1 goes to a black screen then crashes back to the start screen after a few seconds. I've tried moving the apps from the SD card and the other way around and that didn't fix it.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The irony is that I'm moving back from a OnePlus 2 after 2 months and my Lumia won't work right.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: After last 2 updates, older apps won't load. Anyone else experiencing this?

So, I'm running the latest Insider build from the fast ring on a Lumia 1520. I was hoping this build would fix the issue that has developed since the previous two updates.

Only W10M apps load. Anything older or WP8.1 goes to a black screen then crashes back to the start screen after a few seconds. I've tried moving the apps from the SD card and the other way around and that didn't fix it.

The irony is that I'm moving back from a OnePlus 2 after 2 months and my Lumia won't work right.

have you tried uninstalling the apps and then installing them afresh?

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
Originally Posted by romaink

have you tried uninstalling the apps and then installing them afresh?

I've tried it for one app and it worked, but if I'm to do this for every app I've installed since WP8, I'm definitely moving on.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I've tried it for one app and it worked, but if I'm to do this for every app I've installed since WP8, I'm definitely moving on.

you're using an insider version of w10m which isn't exactly perfect. From the get go there are certain risks and to counter or solve them you have to be prepared to go the through the paces which can include doing a hard reset or recovery back to original OS

So either you uninstall all apps and install them back or wait for the next OS update or do a hard reset

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I had that problem after upgrading to this latest Insider Redstone build (14371). Only newer apps made for Windows 10 worked.

After I left the phone on the charger for a second night, on the 3rd day, the apps all magically started working again. I have no idea what happened. I can guarantee none were updated, as I checked the "recent" list in the store. I didn't uninstall/reinstall.

Perhaps we are experiencing different problems, perhaps not. I thought it was odd, but I'm just glad I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall all those 6+GB of apps/games.

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

@rhapdog, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who experienced this. I've searched the forums and can find no mention of this. I'm really hopeful that future updates will fix this.

@Chintan Gohel, I understand the risks of being an insider on the fast ring. Previous builds before the last 2 never had these issues and with every build, we should expect more stability and less bugs, not the other way around.
I've been with Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7(Samsung Focus) and I've recently stopped making excuses for Microsoft. They've had years to get it right and instead of prioritizing the platform and speeding up development, they've laid off staff and become slower in pushing out stable builds. One can only imagine what the market share on W10M would have been, if Microsoft had released a build that was as stable as WP8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb