08-17-2016 11:03 AM
150 ... 23456
tools
    Do you have any power errors in the logs? I remember I had similar issues just before my PSU went dead.

Random BSOD's with all kinds of varying errors, hang-ups etc., which were fixed temporarily by reattaching the power cable on the mobo.
    I replaced the mobo as I thought the issues were a faulty board.
    But that didn't solve the issue, and in the end the PSU gave in, soI had to replace it as well. After that no more issues.

Have a good look at the connector of the main power cable, are there any black spots near one of the pins? It's hard to see when the connector is black, but it might also give off a feint burn smell.

All this can be coincidence, and nothing to do with the install of Win10, -or- Win10 is using RAM differently now, exposing a small defect in the RAM itself.
    Stuff like this is hard to diagnose, especially on OS level when the PC is running. So many variables.

If you don't need the 16Gb of RAM, stick to one slot for now, at least the PC will be useful.
    Be sure to use the proper slots for the RAM, often mobo's don't like random inserts of the RAM slots. Ans like people suggested, have the latest BIOS installed.

Other than that, I think everything else has been suggested I'm afraid :-(
    06-30-2016 03:45 AM
    Other than that, I think everything else has been suggested I'm afraid :-(
    Most things being tried (not all) are actually those which are least likely to be related to the problem. It's highly unlikely to be a RAM issue. It's highly unlikely to be a PSU issue. It's in fact highly unlikely to be directly related to hardware in any way. If it was purely a hardware issue, there would be absolutely no reason for everything to work fine after an abnormal shutdown. Hardware doesn't care how the OS was shutdown. Hardware would continue to fail in the usual way regardless of how the OS was shutdown.

Most ideas here are focused on hardware, which IMHO isn't going to get the OP anywhere, but those ideas probably need to be exhausted before we can move on.

I think a reasonable next step would be to boot the system in safe mode to test if that circumvents the problem.
    06-30-2016 04:20 AM
    What I've tried so far:

1) Each RAM chip individually, in each spare slot - No errors
    2) Both RAM chips together in different combinations of slots - Error
    3) Upgraded Bios to latest version - Error
    4) Reset Bios to default - Error
    5) Disable readyboot\fastboot\hybernate - Error
    6) Set memory available to maximum from Advanced system menu - Error
    7) Memtest - No errors found
    8) IntelBrun - No errors found
    9) Fresh install on new SSD (Original install was on standard magnetic HD) with default drivers, new cable and new port (Other discs unplugged), no Anti virus. All drivers picked by OS - Error
    10) As above but with manufacture's drivers - Error
    11) Page file set grater than available RAM with both chips - Error
    12) As above but with Page file set to auto - Error
    13) As above but with page file disabled - Error
    14) Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic - No errors found
    15) Set Readyboot logging to circular - Error
    16) Misc other things that I've forgotten to mention

What I haven't tried:

Windows Insider built - My PC is only unstable on 1 in 3 clean boots. Insider is too great a risk right now. I can run my PC perfectly OK with 1 stick of RAM, as 8GB is enough for most of what I do and is less risky that the insider builds

Different RAM - I don't have any other RAM to sticks try it with, and this problem isn't bad enough for me to be able to justify spending the money on a speculative component.

New Power Supply - Same as the RAM.

Right now, I have a functional PC if I remove 1 stick of RAM, or if I hit the power button after a BSOD (It ALWAYS boots OK after a dirty shutdown). I am not really in a position where I can justify spending 100 bucks on new components that might not resolve the problem. I appreciate why people are suggesting this, and I accept that this may be the one and only way to "fix" the problem. I'm just not in a position where I can justify doing it at the moment.
    06-30-2016 05:35 AM
    Additional information:

I have an older model sound card that I took out of a Windows Vista PC, because it was a cheap (Free) way of giving my PC a fiber optic output and input (The motherboard doesn't have either).

Is there anything in the dump file to suggest that this could be the cause of the problem?

I'd rather not open up the case against fiddle with the sound card as it's less accessible than the RAM, if nobody things that it could be a problem.

I've tried it with the Windows drivers, and the manufacturer's drivers, but I've not taken it out.
    06-30-2016 05:39 AM
    It very well could be the problem, or more precisely, the driver could be. I'd try safe boot first though.
    06-30-2016 06:06 AM
    It very well could be the problem, or more precisely, the driver could be. I'd try safe boot first though.
    Any particular settings, for safe mode?
    06-30-2016 06:08 AM
    How do I do get to Safe mode from power down?

It never does a BSOD if I restart. Only ever from a totally clean shutdown.
    06-30-2016 06:10 AM
    I've had about a dozen boots from clean shutdown to power off (switched off at the mains), and then booted to safe mode with no BSOD.

I don't know if this means that ti's a service\driver issue or if it's just random chance that it didn't BSOD.
    06-30-2016 07:11 AM
    I've disabled the add on sound card in Windows and I will see how it goes.
    06-30-2016 08:28 AM
    I don't know if this means that ti's a service\driver issue or if it's just random chance that it didn't BSOD.
    Yes, this very likely means it's a hardware driver. Your sound card and your GPU are the most likely culprits, so try and eliminate them first from the list of possible causes.

Important:

1) Remove a hardware extension card
    2) Reboot
    3) Use a program like Ghost to completely delete ALL unused drivers from your system.
    4) Test
    5) Repeat with next card

If simply disabling the device (using the device manager) works then that's great too, but to be 100% sure you've eliminated a hardware extension as a culprit you need to really get rid of it entirely, as described above. Let us know how it goes.
    06-30-2016 08:48 AM
    It doesn't BSOD every time, so I'll leave it a day or so and see if simply disabling it helps.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-30-2016 08:51 AM
    Are you using a optical drive? Check if its detecting in UEFI BIOS every time you log into UEFI. Mine had a similar BSOD with IRQ_NOT_EQUAL narrowed down the problem to ODD which disappears itself randomly and was fixed with firmware update. Did you inspect the motherboard?
    Can you boot through UBCD/HBCD and pass all stress tests successfully?
    Just check msconfig and navigate to adv. options and check memory size if its 16GB or just uncheck that memory option to see if it helps.
    06-30-2016 10:06 AM
    I don't think Insider is a risk. Keep in mind that it's pretty close to becoming RTM. And any failures you can revert back easily through the settings area. But there's a lot of optimizations in the insider build including memory management that could solve the issue. If things work fine in windows 7 and not in windows 10 I wouldn't bother looking at the hardware itself.
    06-30-2016 10:07 AM
    I've rebooted 10 times and I've not had that the IRQ message again. It may be because I moved the stick to a different slot that one time.
    06-30-2016 10:11 AM
    I don't think Insider is a risk. Keep in mind that it's pretty close to becoming RTM. And any failures you can revert back easily through the settings area. But there's a lot of optimizations in the insider build including memory management that could solve the issue. If things work fine in windows 7 and not in windows 10 I wouldn't bother looking at the hardware itself.
    I'm struggling to find any way that a hardware problem could present itself under such specific circumstances. It ONLY happens at the exact moment that you'd normally get the log in screen, if you have both sticks of RAM installed, and if the last thing that you did was to do a clean shut down to power off.

If it were a hardware problem wouldn't it be just as likely to happen on the boot after the BSOD? The only difference is that one comes after a clean shut down and the other comes after a dirty shut down.

I'm not sure that the insider build would have a fix for my problem, it doesn't seem like many people are having the same issue, so it's unlikely that they'd put a fix in for it.
    06-30-2016 10:29 AM
    I've rebooted 10 times and I've not had that the IRQ message again. It may be because I moved the stick to a different slot that one time.
    No IRQ message, but still BSOD?
    06-30-2016 10:31 AM
    No IRQ message, but still BSOD?
    Still BSOD, but the normal memory management message.

I've disabled my sound card and it hasn't happened since then, but it doesn't happen every time so this may not fix it. I won't know until tomorrow if this has fixed the problem.
    06-30-2016 10:33 AM
    Still BSOD, but the normal memory management message.

I've disabled my sound card and it hasn't happened since then, but it doesn't happen every time so this may not fix it. I won't know until tomorrow if this has fixed the problem.
    You're not describing well what the current situation is. Is this right:

after a normal shutdown, booting in safe mode = no issues at all
    after a normal shutdown, booting normally with disabled sound card = BSOD, but some message somewhere has disappeared
    06-30-2016 10:43 AM
    You're not describing well what the current situation is. Is this right:

after a normal shutdown, booting in safe mode = no issues at all
    after a normal shutdown, booting normally with disabled sound card = BSOD, but some message somewhere has disappeared
    I rebooted in safe mode about 8 times and there was no BSOD.
    I disabled my sound card and booted normally, and there was no BSOD.

I think that the IRQ message was a one off, and was related to me having moved the RAM stick immediately before I switched it on.

Right now I'm not getting any error messages at all, but I don't get them every time so I don't know if it's fixed or if it's just one of those times that I don't get an error message.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-30-2016 10:51 AM
    I'm struggling to find any way that a hardware problem could present itself under such specific circumstances. It ONLY happens at the exact moment that you'd normally get the log in screen, if you have both sticks of RAM installed, and if the last thing that you did was to do a clean shut down to power off.

If it were a hardware problem wouldn't it be just as likely to happen on the boot after the BSOD? The only difference is that one comes after a clean shut down and the other comes after a dirty shut down.

I'm not sure that the insider build would have a fix for my problem, it doesn't seem like many people are having the same issue, so it's unlikely that they'd put a fix in for it.
    MS has a lot of security based functionality that improves over time. Some of that include checks to make sure that intrusive root kits or other things don't take over your computer. These containers get updated with newer versions. They even have a hardware based security implementation that with proper firmware will keep bad stuff off your PC. Not sure if they had any code for it in the actual TH2 version of windows 10 but it's definitely going to be in Anniversary update. They have worked with partners to make sure chips support it to. So either you have some virus that is causing this issue and you weren't aware of it because it hijacked your PC(it could be in the mbr which doesn't get wiped with clean install, or reserved system area of drive), or the software is causing compatibility issue in certain circumstances. Anniversary update also comes with newer improved drivers and additional compatibility. So it's worth a try given how much you already went through. Alternatively you can go back to Windows 7. But seriously I'm using insider and everything works great. I have one issue that not many people experience where at times my keyboard lags. Though I think the latest build has improved it since I haven't noticed it yet.
    06-30-2016 10:52 AM
    MS has a lot of security based functionality that improves over time. Some of that include checks to make sure that intrusive root kits or other things don't take over your computer. These containers get updated with newer versions. They even have a hardware based security implementation that with proper firmware will keep bad stuff off your PC. Not sure if they had any code for it in the actual TH2 version of windows 10 but it's definitely going to be in Anniversary update. They have worked with partners to make sure chips support it to. So either you have some virus that is causing this issue and you weren't aware of it because it hijacked your PC(it could be in the mbr which doesn't get wiped with clean install, or reserved system area of drive), or the software is causing compatibility issue in certain circumstances. Anniversary update also comes with newer improved drivers and additional compatibility. So it's worth a try given how much you already went through. Alternatively you can go back to Windows 7. But seriously I'm using insider and everything works great. I have one issue that not many people experience where at times my keyboard lags. Though I think the latest build has improved it since I haven't noticed it yet.
    I would like to explore the possibility that this is driver\service issue before I look at an insider build. I would like to keep the variables to a minimum.
    06-30-2016 10:53 AM
    I would like to explore the possibility that this is driver\service issue before I look at an insider build. I would like to keep the variables to a minimum.
    If you have intel chipsets get the intel driver update utility.
    Update your graphics card drivers.
    Make sure bios is set to UEFI.

But in the end you have to realize that between Windows 7 and windows 10 it's a massive Kernel overhaul. And Windows 10 insider uses the onecore optimized kernel. Anything that could be caused by the kernel interacting with drivers could be fixed.
    06-30-2016 11:01 AM
    Right now I'm not getting any error messages at all, but I don't get them every time so I don't know if it's fixed or if it's just one of those times that I don't get an error message.
    Ok. Then we wait. I'd also advise you not to change anything else for the moment and keep testing until you've got enough issue-free reboots to convince yourself that it was/is a sound card related issue.

I also agree that you shouldn't move to the W10 insider preview at this time. IMHO we already have more than enough evidence that this is very likely a driver issue for which a move to W10 insider would achieve absolutely nothing, as neither the kernel, the driver model, or much else that far down in the Windows 10 software stack has changed.
    06-30-2016 03:09 PM
    So many post here, I did not read them all. But this is a fairly common issue. Put all your memory in, download memtest MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool and create a bootdisk of boot flashdrive for it, and run it, and test the memory. You will find out you have a bad memory stick, and can stop doing all kinds of crazy things to fix it and move on with your life.
    06-30-2016 04:18 PM
    Ok, I just read what you have.. Two single 8GB modules. Which I assume are not identical. That makes life more interesting.

Memory is normally used in pairs to utilize dual channel modes (more performance), but for that it is critical that the pairs are identical.

Looking at your motherboard manual, I suggest you should not try and use the memory in a manner that tries to enable dual channel mode. So don't have modules in ddr3_2/ddr3_1 or ddr3_4/ddr3_2. Try the modules in say ddr3_3/ddr3_2 or ddr3_4/ddr3_1.

Saying that, it may not work as 16gb in single channel mode.

General rule is always buy pairs of memory at the same time.
    06-30-2016 08:09 PM
150 ... 23456