Why hasn't Microsoft implemented Windows Store app sharing between accounts on a single PC?

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I find it perplexing that Microsoft still hasn't considered adding the ability to share Windows Store apps between all accounts on a shared PC like a family desktop. There are several feedback items in the Feedback Hub calling for sharing options ranging from sharing apps across accounts added on the PC to sharing with accounts added as your family on all your PCs.

Consider a simple scenario. I own Quantum Break on the Windows Store through my Xbox One Pre-order. Now I would like to install the game on my family desktop and be able to have it playable on other user accounts on my PC. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't make this a straight forward process like it is on platforms like Xbox One or Steam. The only way you can do it is by adding all other accounts to your family and then changing the Windows Store account on all those accounts to my Microsoft Account.

I don't have to state how archaic this whole process is. Given how much Microsoft is promoting Xbox Play Anywhere these days, they really should focus on making these basic scenarios simple first. As it stands, I cant convince anyone in my circle of family and friends to invest in the Xbox ecosystem if it cant deliver these features which steam has had for years.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm sincere: first time I herd that. Accounts were created for differentiate people on the same machine, avoiding damages or interferences.
On desktops, when you install most apps / progs , if you choose Custom install instead of Fast, it will ask sooner or later "Applies on your account or all accounts"

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm sincere: first time I herd that. Accounts were created for differentiate people on the same machine, avoiding damages or interferences.
On desktops, when you install most apps / progs , if you choose Custom install instead of Fast, it will ask sooner or later "Applies on your account or all accounts"

That's only for Win32 apps. Not for apps and games downloaded from the Windows Store. That's another one of my gripes with the Windows Store actually. The older Win32 platform does allow sharing apps, while the newer one doesn't.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There is no family sharing facility for the Windows Store. Consider buying your games through Steam as that will allow for such.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your account will allow you to use the one purchase across 10 devices of varying form factors.

Add 10 devices for your sister, 10 for your brother, 10 for mom and 10 for dad. That's 50 devices on one purchase because you have a communal device in the home.

And hey, my friend Mikey stops by the house. Why not add his account and his 10 devices? Cousin Sally too. And my boss so I can score points with him...

Adding all accounts on a PC would probably require breaking the cross device allowance in an irreparable way or developers would certainly revolt. It's ripe for abuse.

Also, you purchase a game that is rated M... Should it be allowed for your 8 year old brother because he is on a communal device?

It sounds nice on the surface, but I can see it creating more problems than it would solve.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah but you can buy a rated M game on your xbox and your little kid can log in and see the game and play it as long as it was the device originally purchased on. They should do that same thing with a Windows 10 computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs