Windows 10 Mobile Details

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,
today I got a group message from a good friend: "For those small details I'm in love with Apple. I made a connection to my bluetooth headphones and the system tray shows the battery life of the headphones."
This left me thinking a bit. What small (!) details does Windows 10 have?

Since the only small details I really loved about WP aren't implemented in WM 10, I want to ask you guys which little things do you love? Screenshots/pictures would be appreciated :)

edit: It would be nice if we keep this thread to little details. For example that the all apps list in dark mode gets darker and in light mode lighter. Or the rubber ball behaviour of the swipe to unlock, if you drag it a bit up and let it go (8.1). Or the animation for opening an app in 8.1, which made use of the tiled startscreen.
I know that many of you appreciate continuum or general user interfaces of certain apps. But I want to know small things, which are not realized at first glance.

Last edited:

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,
today I got a group message from a good friend: "For those small details I'm in love with Apple. I made a connection to my bluetooth headphones and the system tray shows the battery life of the headphones."
But Gadgets app is said to provide functionality but I haven't used any BT headsets.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
But Gadgets app is said to provide functionality but I haven't used any BT headsets.

Gadgets doesn't show remaining battery life (with the box ticked) with my Beoplay H8 headphones. I knew that when I purchased them. Fortunately, it warns you with audio in the headphones when it's about to run out.

I don't need a (constant) display of headphone battery life. If it runs out, I have my wire for it anyway, and it takes about ten seconds finding the cable in the drawer or bag, and then a second to plug it in, and I'll only be without the ANC.

Also, with the USB OTG, I can actually charge my headphones directly from the phone with a usb cable, so I guess I could do that on the move too (the headphones work while being charged).

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
A hardware camera button
A modern looking UI (i.e. not app-based, and not icons galore with large radii corners)
Better mail app
Not dependent on frigging iTunes
Better hardware (than Apple's)
Much better integration with my Thinkpad
There are likely others, and a lot of it is certainly down to personal preferences.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Agree on the dedicated camera button for some models
Unique phone design, at least for the older unibody phones
Word flow on by default - so great and useful
Offline maps
User friendly camera manual controls including shutter speed
Great sms backup service - also for contacts - works so well
Easier layout of settings in W10M
And on and on

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I forgot about the offline maps. So very much useful when travelling abroad (or simply to minimise your data usage).

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So far, nobody seems to understand what the OP meant by "small details." He''s asking for little things not broad concepts.

How about...
- the way Windows Hello winks when it recognizes me
- the messaging tile changes from :) to :-o when too many messages are not read yet
- the animation of the tiles flying out when you launch one

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So far, nobody seems to understand what the OP meant by "small details." He''s asking for little things not broad concepts.

How about...
- the way Windows Hello winks when it recognizes me
- the messaging tile changes from :) to :-o when too many messages are not read yet
- the animation of the tiles flying out when you launch one

you're right about that

I can say I like the font, the loading animations of dots flying round in a circle, the lines when you're forming words using word flow

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Gadgets doesn't show remaining battery life (with the box ticked) with my Beoplay H8 headphones. I knew that when I purchased them. Fortunately, it warns you with audio in the headphones when it's about to run out.

I don't need a (constant) display of headphone battery life. If it runs out, I have my wire for it anyway, and it takes about ten seconds finding the cable in the drawer or bag, and then a second to plug it in, and I'll only be without the ANC.

Also, with the USB OTG, I can actually charge my headphones directly from the phone with a usb cable, so I guess I could do that on the move too (the headphones work while being charged).

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the same headphones. Best headphones I have ever had! The sound is phenomenal, and I like that they have a replaceable battery, so if I know I have a long day I carry spares for both the Lumia 950 and the H8 (cf. http://everydaycarry.com/posts/12325/all-day-meetings).

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but I have the same headphones. Best headphones I have ever had! The sound is phenomenal, and I like that they have a replaceable battery, so if I know I have a long day I carry spares for both the Lumia 950 and the H8 (cf. Everyday Carry - In transit/CEO - All day meetings).

I haven't got a second battery (yet - I bought the black version when it came out recently). There is enough juice for a day, anyway.
However, I have just yesterday ordered this charger:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0...ag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3517176

It has two USB outputs. A 3A type C plug, and a qualcomm USB type A plug. WIth that, I can use just the one charger to charge both my headphones and my 950. Obviously, if you don't live in Northern Europe, you want that charger with another plug.

Back on topic:
I like that my news app can have black background when reading articles.
I like that I can have a 200GB (soon a 256gb, faster) card in my phone
I like that there are ongoing updates and that I'm not stuck with a particular version of the OS (I'm thinking of Android).
I like the way I can have "delete" and flag" as my quick tasks (and change them) in the Outlook app.
I like that I can turn off all that stupid Music Pass related stuff in Groove.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Glance screen says "Dont forget" something you set up in detailed view in lock screen options, when you turn off your mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You have two options for customization in the system. No additional apps, or root/jailbreaking required.

There is no way to break this!

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I like the Live Tiles flip animation when they update, and the grouped tiles slide animations when they are showing the icons for all the apps in the group.

Variable transparency of the tiles on the Start screen let you customize the look just the way you want it. (I just wish the white icons had a 1 pixel dark border around them and the text so that it showed up better on a light background image)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
the little things: I can reduce notifications to nearly zero so I don't get disturbed by them. I only see notifications for messages and phone calls. Others are not there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire