Help Cannot Set Up Hey Cortana on 1520 Running Redstone

JaredCadz

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Since I jumped in to Redstone a few months back, I am unable to set up Hey Cortana. Even after installing the recent build, 14385, it still says me "You'll need to turn on Cortana first" but Cortana is already enabled on my 1520.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? I tried to re-install the language pack and followed the tutorial here on windows central but it did not work. Reverting back to 8.1 is not an option as Redstone is soo good to turn my back with.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Since I jumped in to Redstone a few months back, I am unable to set up Hey Cortana. Even after installing the recent build, 14385, it still says me "You'll need to turn on Cortana first" but Cortana is already enabled on my 1520.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? I tried to re-install the language pack and followed the tutorial here on windows central but it did not work. Reverting back to 8.1 is not an option as Redstone is soo good to turn my back with.

have you ever done a hard reset?

Eddy Dumire

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Me too. I've read that you can roll back to 8.1 with the recovery tool, configure hey Cortana and then upgrade to W10 mobile and it will continue to work but if I do it this way, I can't figure out how to restore my backup. As far as I know the only way to restore the backup is to log into your Microsoft account immediately after reset.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I've read that you can roll back to 8.1 with the recovery tool, configure hey Cortana and then upgrade to W10 mobile and it will continue to work but if I do it this way, I can't figure out how to restore my backup. As far as I know the only way to restore the backup is to log into your Microsoft account immediately after reset.

restoring backup supposedly restores start screen layout, settings, app data from participating apps and automatically downloads your apps for you

If you don't do the restore, the only thing you lose is app data - which is mosly games data

xSteelweb

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I have tried this a couple of ways. But not since the backup format has changed.

1) Used WDRT to go back to 8.1. Then went through step to train Cortana and upgrade to W10M fast ring. The process I found online involved turning off Wi-Fi and cellular data at certain points. Had Cortana working on the fast ring build at the time and then tried to hard reset to restore my backup. Lost Hey Cortana.

2)Same process as #1 but did not restore my backup. Just a hard reset. Lost Hey Cortana.

3) This one got ugly and is not recommended especially now that the backup format has changed. Used WDRT to go back to 8.1. Restored my W10M backup on to 8.1. A lot of apps and settings were not recognized but I was able to setup and train Cortana. Went through the process of upgrading to W10M fast ring again and had Cortana. Then I hit a point where the Store wouldn't open. Reboot, soft reset...no Store. Tried app links from articles, links from AppRaisin, QR codes...no Store. It would just flash the shopping bag and then crash. "Hey Cortana, open the store"... that didn't work either. I finally decided that even with the popular belief that the Store only has a few dozen apps it was still more important to have than Hey Cortana so another hard reset. Lost Hey Cortana.

1520, US, 14393

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have tried this a couple of ways. But not since the backup format has changed.

1) Used WDRT to go back to 8.1. Then went through step to train Cortana and upgrade to W10M fast ring. The process I found online involved turning off Wi-Fi and cellular data at certain points. Had Cortana working on the fast ring build at the time and then tried to hard reset to restore my backup. Lost Hey Cortana.

2)Same process as #1 but did not restore my backup. Just a hard reset. Lost Hey Cortana.

3) This one got ugly and is not recommended especially now that the backup format has changed. Used WDRT to go back to 8.1. Restored my W10M backup on to 8.1. A lot of apps and settings were not recognized but I was able to setup and train Cortana. Went through the process of upgrading to W10M fast ring again and had Cortana. Then I hit a point where the Store wouldn't open. Reboot, soft reset...no Store. Tried app links from articles, links from AppRaisin, QR codes...no Store. It would just flash the shopping bag and then crash. "Hey Cortana, open the store"... that didn't work either. I finally decided that even with the popular belief that the Store only has a few dozen apps it was still more important to have than Hey Cortana so another hard reset. Lost Hey Cortana.

1520, US, 14393

so what you've shown is hard reset disables hey cortana - maybe don't do the hard reset?

wraggieone

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Dude, I've seen many of your responses on this issue and all of them are convoluted and dismissive. "Maybe don't do hard reset?" you would've been better off just not replying rather than spewing out a patronising quip! xSteelweb has articulated the issue beautifully here, and it's clear only the big MS can fix this issue, assuming their willing. peace.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Dude, I've seen many of your responses on this issue and all of them are convoluted and dismissive. "Maybe don't do hard reset?" you would've been better off just not replying rather than spewing out a patronising quip! xSteelweb has articulated the issue beautifully here, and it's clear only the big MS can fix this issue, assuming their willing. peace.

I'm sorry if I sounded that way, I didn't mean to.

I was just looking at the steps the OP had taken and the common point has been that he does a hard reset and hey Cortana disappears. If he doesn't do a hard reset but use a restore on 8.1, it causes system instability

So here's my idea, it may or may not work - I can't test this out since I don't have a phone at the moment

Go back to 8.1, don't restore. Just set up your phone like you would normally do - add MS account, let messages sync, let contacts sync - set up cortana. Don't set up start or settings
Upgrade to W10M official build, download critical apps, update apps, check that Hey Cortana works
Go to fast ring, download other apps, copy over data such as photos, music etc.
I hope that by the time you get to fast ring, there's no reason to do a hard reset

However, your point that MS needs to solve this is spot on and all I'm trying to do is give a measure of flexibility in options on what can be done. Depending on MS always to fix things will take longer

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for the reply man, much appreciated. Excuse the rant......may have been having a bad day. peace.x

it's okay, you're not the first one nor the last. I actually take these kind of posts as a way of gauging myself and improving what I do. So thank you :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre