Designing an app

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes sure! I am using Visual Studio 2015 community and C# for Universal Windows Applications. That's the standard for Windows!

Thanks! I've been a novice programmer for a few decades now :)smile:) and am sorely tempted to try writing a UWA. In the past I've used Delphi for Win32 programs, and C for my microcontroller work.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I've been a novice programmer for a few decades now :)smile:) and am sorely tempted to try writing a UWA. In the past I've used Delphi for Win32 programs, and C for my microcontroller work.

At first look, UWP can be a little daunting, but just work your way through it and stick with it (Don't just be satisfied making it only for phones)... I had been holding off upgrading my 8.1 apps to UWP because I was wanting to put off the headaches I feared would come along with it. However, once I started, I became somewhat addicted and have been going through to upgrade all my apps.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Same for me. I've considered looking into the Xamarin integration, but haven't done more than just think about it.
Yes, same here. I wanted to port my app for Android too. All of my friends are on Android and when they heard that my app is making such progress, they all wanted to try it. I have installed Xamarin through Visual Studio. But didn't use it. It's apparently not as neat as Visual Studio. Also, I just couldn't make it work, write once run on all platforms thing. All the documentation shows how to create a cross platform app using C# but there's no info on how to define the UI in XAML for all platforms. If you find any such resource or know about it please let me know it..

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I recently started learning programming. I'm pretty new to it, but have one app in the store.

Strawberry Weather
I just downloaded it, its about 6 degrees off of the Microsoft weather app (which is usually pretty accurate). And it says it's sunny right now (it's 12:30am!) - I think it might be pulling another city by the same name? (It doesn't give me an option to select my location by city AND state, for example; I have my Location turned off)

It would be neat to have a theme with weather-related backgrounds (like the Microsoft app) - that's the only reason I even use the Microsoft app (it's appearance).

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I just downloaded it, its about 6 degrees off of the Microsoft weather app (which is usually pretty accurate). And it says it's sunny right now (it's 12:30am!) - I think it might be pulling another city by the same name? (It doesn't give me an option to select my location by city AND state, for example; I have my Location turned off)

It would be neat to have a theme with weather-related backgrounds (like the Microsoft app) - that's the only reason I even use the Microsoft app (it's appearance).

I am using OpenWeatherMap as data source. MSN weather uses different source. About it showing sunny seems to be the problem at their end. OpenWeatherMap doesn't seem to be accurate for your location. Else the reviews I got say it's pretty accurate. That is the reason I'm going to add another weather source, maybe Dark Sky!

Search by city name and state should work, but I'll think of something about it. Maybe add a Google Geocoding service.
Also the background images are coming.

Thanks for the feedback!

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
When I type the state (example: Los Angeles, CA) it removes CA and only saves 'Los Angeles,' perhaps that is where the inaccuracy comes from?
I didn't try it with Location on, so I would assume that's why I'm the only one with differing results.

Just offering feedback so you can perfect the app, it's a good app otherwise!

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
All the documentation shows how to create a cross platform app using C# but there's no info on how to define the UI in XAML for all platforms. If you find any such resource or know about it please let me know it..

From what I understand the UI has to be native to each platform, you can't use XAML anywhere other than the Windows platform.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
When I type the state (example: Los Angeles, CA) it removes CA and only saves 'Los Angeles,' perhaps that is where the inaccuracy comes from?
I didn't try it with Location on, so I would assume that's why I'm the only one with differing results.

Just offering feedback so you can perfect the app, it's a good app otherwise!
I'm using the built-in location service of the weather API which is not that feature rich. It's pretty basic and only offers 'city name, country code' search. I will add Google geociding API so that I can improve the location accuracy. But it needs some testing. Because, it should not introduce any new bugs or break the current functionalilty. Try with the GPS enabled and it should work good! If it didn't work it might be the case that their weather station is located far from you location. Have never been to LA. But it sure seems a hell of big place! Anyway whatever the reasons be, I'll add the Google location API and Dark Sky weather API for better accuracy. Thanks!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Question for the developers here - the windows 10 mobile emulator in the visual studio software can only work if the pc has windows 10 pro? Is that the way it is? If yes, why?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Question for the developers here - the windows 10 mobile emulator in the visual studio software can only work if the pc has windows 10 pro? Is that the way it is? If yes, why?

Yes! That's the case. Windows 10 mobile emulators require Hyper-V which only the pro version has. Sadly that's the reason I'm testing Strawberry Weather on LUMIA 520.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I agree with white_shadoww. Although it is actually pretty quick and easy to have it running your app with debug on an attached Windows phone, in which case I don't think you would have to have Windows 10 or Hyper-V

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but with the emulators you can test different screen sizes and densities. With physical device, you are limited to 1 or 2 devices. But debugging on actual phone is just as important!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick PSA for anyone developing Windows 10 apps... If you haven't signed up for the MS TechRewards, formerly DVLUP, do yourself a favor and sign up...

https://rewards.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/challenges

They sometimes have challenges for certain app features or functions and reward you with XP and points. Points can be turned in for developer benefits. Right now they don't seem to have any app challenges, but they do have some training videos you can watch to earn XP. They changed it recently, so I'm not 100% sure that XP translates to points... but regardless, the videos may prove useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo