Advice on Win 10 upgrade rights on a retail copy of Win 7?

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Advice on Win 10 upgrade rights on a retail copy of Win 7

Need some advice on transferring a retail Win7 licence to Win 10 AND moving it to a new PC.

I have a spare copy of Win 7 Pro that was to be used on a late 2007 laptop, which died before Win 7 was launched. It's since been used on a spare PC.

It hasn't been updated to Win 10 but obviously I can do that using the usual method.

However...

I'm going to sell the PC it is installed on and am thinking of reusing the licence on a newbuild ITX PC. I know how to transfer the Win 7 licence from one PC to another. However, if I get the Win10 upgrade rights on the existing PC, what would be the best way to activate Win 10 on a new PC using the Win7 key?

What I need to know is, once upgrading a Win7 licence to 10, does that automatically mean I can reuse that key directly on a clean Win 10 install and have a valid key for activation? If so, would it be best to install Win 10 directly to the newbuild and activate it using the key?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Advice on Win 10 upgrade rights on a retail copy of Win 7

Windows 10 license ties to the hardware. If you upgrade the old PC the you cannot upgrade a new PC using the original Win7 license.

Someone is going to have to buy a new OS -- either you or whoever buys your old PC. . .

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Advice on Win 10 upgrade rights on a retail copy of Win 7

Windows 10 license ties to the hardware. If you upgrade the old PC the you cannot upgrade a new PC using the original Win7 license.

Someone is going to have to buy a new OS -- either you or whoever buys your old PC. . .

On that basis I'll have to get a fresh Win10 copy for the newbuild,, but that seems harsh that I can't take a legit retail copy of a Win10 licence and move it as purchased. Thanks for the input, any sources available?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12