[Anniversary Update] Having issues with a random app? Reset it!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This only concerns the Redstone PC builds, as this function (afaik) hasn't been implemented for those on the Threshold builds and it isn't available for phones (might become available at some point, but there's currently no information to indicate this).

Why would you reset an app? Well, resetting an app is basically the same as, uninstalling/reinstalling an app. This is needed when the performance of the app has taken a hit. It's mostly a good idea to do this, just to check if the problem lies with the app itself/ with the device or with the OS.

How do you reset? Open settings > Systems > Apps and Features > (this will generate a list of apps and programs available on your device) Tap/click on the app you want to reset > Tap/click on "Advanced Options" > Tap/click on "Reset"

reset app.png

You can see "Advanced Options" in the above image (just in case you got lost).

Handy feature?

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
This NEEDS to be available on any W10 device, including phones. Such a basic and necessary feature for troubleshooting and maintenance.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree! I've been wondering if RAM might be an issue...
I don't think it is dealing with RAM itself so much as it is with just the data an app accumulates may get corrupted or have too much cached causing general errors.

Honestly, this is one of those few features that MS lacks on the mobile platforms. I know it exists for android (cannot confirm iOS since I don't own a single Apple product) as I've had to clear data/cache from apps that started acting wonky after some time.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
This NEEDS to be available on any W10 device, including phones. Such a basic and necessary feature for troubleshooting and maintenance.

Ain't that the truth? I didn't really like needing to uninstall/reinstall apps just to fix something (MS Health draining battery and not counting steps, for example).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, this is one of those few features that MS lacks on the mobile platforms. I know it exists for android (cannot confirm iOS since I don't own a single Apple product) as I've had to clear data/cache from apps that started acting wonky after some time.

Lol now that you mention it, Android does have this. Didn't even stop to think about that and I've used it quite a bit (for friends; don't own android or ios devices).

As far as I can tell (from my limited experience in ios settings menu) there is no option to clear the cache

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Lol now that you mention it, Android does have this. Didn't even stop to think about that and I've used it quite a bit (for friends; don't own android or ios devices).

As far as I can tell (from my limited experience in ios settings menu) there is no option to clear the cache
Yeah. That is one of the features of android I like. You can clear just the cache or all data and cache for an app. Android even gives the option to clear all app caches in one handy button.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I guess the screenshot shows for pcs thus it will be available for over 90% of the windows 10 devices. Just that small single digit percentage that is phones might not have it for now

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess the screenshot shows for pcs thus it will be available for over 90% of the windows 10 devices. Just that small single digit percentage that is phones might not have it for now
True. However it might get to Windows phones because it is a useful feature. This is especially so when potentially dealing with mobile data caps (although all of my phones, windows and android, are set to update only on Wi-Fi). Just bring able to reset means only writing about any data that is used to connect, not both downloading and connecting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo