Delayed delivery option on SMS?

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Delayed delivery for email is a feature I use all the time in Outlook email. How many times have you woke up or been up late with an idea or question and wanted to reach out to a friend or colleague but didn't want to disturb them?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Delayed delivery for email is a feature I use all the time in Outlook email. How many times have you woke up or been up late with an idea or question and wanted to reach out to a friend or colleague but didn't want to disturb them?

I seem to remember that this is an app on another mobile OS but I don't know if someone has implemented it on windows 10. Have you suggested it in feedback hub?

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
No, the question is sending a SMS (text message) with delayed delivery. i.e. A text "sent" at 1am could arrive at say 8am or even a date in the future...(now I am being greedy :smile:). A delayed delivery option would have to be built into SMS.

Thanks for the links!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
No, the question is sending a SMS (text message) with delayed delivery. i.e. A text "sent" at 1am could arrive at say 8am or even a date in the future...(now I am being greedy :smile:). A delayed delivery option would have to be built into SMS.

Thanks for the links!!

Out of curiosity, does this exist in the other mobile platforms?

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I have used several Android and ios phones over the years and have never found it available on any of them. I have just had the need to delay a SMS many times thought out the years. What I end up doing is creating a reminder to text later and I just want to save a step....I really think it would be a great feature for all phones. I dont get why it hasn't happened yet?? ....and not in the form of an app but native to the phone.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the links!!

Understood. My point is, you can send SMS, from email, and delay it that way.

I agree that the delay delivery feature in SMS would be nifty, occasionally, but the email thing covers the same functionality, more or less, until such time they add this.
I wouldn't hold your breath though, you're the only mention I've ever seen of this, that I can recall. If there was coverage in other phones, and a LOT of call for it, I bet it would get added, it probably wouldn't be tough to implement.

This leaves with two choices in the interim, email/delayed send, or third-party app. Choices are good, at least it's not a "no way, no how" answer ;-]

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Some email services on your computer do cover this you're correct. However you can not delay delivery email on your phone at this time. Plus email (as you know) can be less instant compared to an SMS. I just hope its implemented soon!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Some email services on your computer do cover this you're correct. However you can not delay delivery email on your phone at this time. Plus email (as you know) can be less instant compared to an SMS. I just hope its implemented soon!

I'm thinking it's an idea that has to be approached with a proper planning mechanism, in conjunction with carriers. you can imagine police departments would find this tricky to get around - a suspect was at home because he sent an sms at this time from this location when in fact he had scheduled it. Or any other scenario

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I dont think it would effect the carriers or police at all? The delayed text would/should just sit in the SMS "outbox" on the phone until the predetermined time to send...Just like delayed delivery on email. If your saying the criminal would claim he was no where near the crime since his phone text time stamped at a certain time and GPS location is really weak and is no defense anyway since police already know tons of ways criminals try to use tech in that way.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there are tons of ways, VPN, Proxy, and similar, to manipulate data from another location, while it appears you're somewhere else. They weren't really designed with that idea I'm sure, virtual presence was more for work and help type scenarios, but I'm sure it gets abused...
Being able to work on a virtual desktop and not push a ton of (possibly sensitive/secure too) data around is HUGE for business use, and will continue to evolve.

I tend to believe that most police and other departments are savvy about these new mechanism, by now, which have been around since the mid-90's (that's when I started using remote-desktop to work anyway). Or at least I hope they are, really...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I dont think it would effect the carriers or police at all? The delayed text would/should just sit in the SMS "outbox" on the phone until the predetermined time to send...Just like delayed delivery on email. If your saying the criminal would claim he was no where near the crime since his phone text time stamped at a certain time and GPS location is really weak and is no defense anyway since police already know tons of ways criminals try to use tech in that way.

Yeah, there are tons of ways, VPN, Proxy, and similar, to manipulate data from another location, while it appears you're somewhere else. They weren't really designed with that idea I'm sure, virtual presence was more for work and help type scenarios, but I'm sure it gets abused...
Being able to work on a virtual desktop and not push a ton of (possibly sensitive/secure too) data around is HUGE for business use, and will continue to evolve.

I tend to believe that most police and other departments are savvy about these new mechanism, by now, which have been around since the mid-90's (that's when I started using remote-desktop to work anyway). Or at least I hope they are, really...

you're right, my ideas were naive thinking anyway.

You're not the only one to think of delayed sending of sms, I've thought about that years ago. And I'm sure thousands have thought of it.

So the question, why hasn't any platform done it yet? Is it the demand for now messaging higher than delayed messaging? People seem to want instant sms, instant feedback, instant likes, instant replies

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, while I occasionally use delayed emails, delayed texts wouldn't really occur to me, they'd probably be an un-used feature (for me, or maybe I'd use them more if they were integrated, hard to say for sure).
I think of texts as a preemptive, interrupt-driven type of mechanism, whereas email is a non-interrupt-driven model.

Maybe that's my "naive" thinking though, people always have differing views on this stuff, which is why the apps exist, with things like delay-send, for texting. Niche or similar stuff is cool, it gives people the chance to implement features that aren't mainstream, that sometimes get re-integrated into mainstream, or not...

I have used my email to delay-send texts occasionally, when I thought of something late at night for example that I want my wife to see in the AM, I just grab my tablet and schedule a text-email to send in the AM, handy stuff.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You can send the text, via email, and mark it delayed, same-same, almost ;-]

I use this feature a LOT (email to text, not the delayed part).

Here's a list of carrier servers, if you're interested:
The Complete List Of Text Messaging Email Addresses | EmailTextMessages.com
and more worldwide:
Email to SMS gateway list. How to send free text messages

so I just send my message to the email and it will be sent to that number free of charge? And how to delay the email?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's really that simple, just xxx-xxxx@TargetCarriersMAPItoSMSServer, and it processes almost as quickly as any regular text, if you are using "push" for your email client.
If your email client is decent, it starts to auto-complete with both suggestions for a given contact, showing you the email and SMS targets, after a bit of use.

I've never had a carrier charge for delivery, it's just routing it from their server (which I'm sure they use for distribution anyways), to that number, but from you incoming email protocol, instead of your cell SMS/MMS. Realistically it shouldn't cost the carrier much more if anything, and probably less, if the originating person/message was on the same carrier (this way they're not using tower bandwidth to "send" the message).

In terms of delaying it, I've used "Delivery Options" in the MS Outlook client (the Office version) to send these before. This varies from client to client, and I'm pretty sure some web-mail interfaces have it was well. I believe this is part of most email protocols in general, where the server interface contains it.
This also allows things like having an X-minute delay on all messages, which I think some people use to avoid the "oops" factor, when they wish they could recall an email shortly after hitting "send" (vs sending a recall-request, which doesn't do a whole lot, other than informing the server that the user should be told that you want to recall it, it doesn't actually "recall" the message, in the traditional sense) ;-]

moxie19

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Using email is fine when you want to put delay delivery on an email but that not the point of this discussion. Plus on phones (Lumia 950) you can not delay deliver a email anyway. I am just saying that SMS delayed delivery is needed and overdue..That's it.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity, does this exist in the other mobile platforms?

I have used several Android and ios phones over the years and have never found it available on any of them. I have just had the need to delay a SMS many times thought out the years. What I end up doing is creating a reminder to text later and I just want to save a step....I really think it would be a great feature for all phones. I dont get why it hasn't happened yet?? ....and not in the form of an app but native to the phone.

My GS7 has this feature built-in, not sure about iPhones or other Androids. I only use this feature once in a while, but I agree with moxie19 that this is really helpful when you need it. Hopefully it comes to my Lumia too. There are a few requests for it in the feedback app. Time to hammer that upvote button.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Using email is fine when you want to put delay delivery on an email but that not the point of this discussion. Plus on phones (Lumia 950) you can not delay deliver a email anyway. I am just saying that SMS delayed delivery is needed and overdue..That's it.

But the delayed delivery (send) of the email, with the SMS target (phone#@carrierserver), will actually do this, it will send a delayed text, whenever you set it up to deliver/send. i.e. ""test text msg" to: (425)123-4567@carrier1_server.com".
This does exactly what you want, delay-send/deliver of an email.

That said, you're right, there's no easy way that know of to do this on the phone, as the Outlook client on Mobile isn't as rich as the Desktop (it doesn't have a delay feature).
If you wanted to get fancy, you could VPN to your desktop,and schedule a delay-send of your email from the connection effectively exactly what you want to do. It's very un-elegant though, cumbersome at-best, but it is possible.

You should put in a suggestion, I guess, and see what happens. I tend to think of text as mostly interrupt-driven (my above comment) anyway, which I suspect is why this feature hasn't been implemented, in any built-in text apps.

Me, I'd say WiFi Calling/texting is way up the list from something like this, but that's one my pet-peeves, that's also long-overdue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234