Windows 10 Anniversary Update 14393.10 Discussion (Initial AU build, Inactive)

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Discussion (Production Ring/Official)

Managed to fix it. The update doesn't seem to create media suitable for a GPT partition. Had to format a USB pen to be GPT bootable and then copied the ISO files over and worked first time.
That is some great detective work, Matt! Well done, and thanks for posting about it :)

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update 14393.10 Discussion (Production Ring/Official)

when the USB is in, go to list of recognised devices and remove it and then let it install again

I did that, but the only way I know to have it reinstall is to remove and plug it back in again. When I do that, I still get the same results.

What format is the USB stick in? Put it in a device that works - right click on the drive and choose Properties. What's the "File System" set to? NTFS, FAT32, FAT, etc?

Ok, the old flash drive that works is in FAT format. The external drive is in NTFS format. The newer flash drive that is not working just in my S3 is in FAT32 format.

And again, all of these drives work fine on multiple computers elsewhere, but not my S3 (which is the only one with the W10AU as of now.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The only suggestion I can come up with is convert the format to NTFS. On a working PC where you can see the data, run this command:

CONVERT D: /FS:NTFS

Where D: is the drive letter of the drive that's failing in the AU machine.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Is this anniversary update worth installing on a tablet?
Cheers
It is really up to you. Read around for a list of changes as well as problems people have had. If you're not comfortable on updating yet due to issues others have had, I recommend waiting a little longer for the some of the bugs to be updated or of the update.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It is really up to you. Read around for a list of changes as well as problems people have had. If you're not comfortable on updating yet due to issues others have had, I recommend waiting a little longer for the some of the bugs to be updated or of the update.
Thanks. I already did the update. Everything seems to work great. I have a Chuwi Hi12 (Windows and Android dual boot).

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to save the Window10Upgrade folder to a USB drive and use it to upgrade more machines without it re-downloading the update again?

I tried. Saved the Window10Upgrade folder to USB. Take USB to another Windows 10-1511 PC, and copy the folder to C:|. Ran the EXE file and the updater deletes the 3GB core file and redownloads it again.

Is there a way to put the Anniversary updater on a USB flash drive and update, offline, without having to redownload the entire update again?

MarkJaafar

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Get the ISO file and transport it to where you need. On 2nd pc double click the iso and it is mounted then run setup. Or you can copy the ESD folder from C:\ (after upgrading the 1st PC) to a usb and run setup from there.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Get the ISO file and transport it to where you need. On 2nd pc double click the iso and it is mounted then run setup. Or you can copy the ESD folder from C:\ (after upgrading the 1st PC) to a usb and run setup from there.

ISO of the Anniversary Update or ISO of the full Windows 10 - 1607 install? I have the ISO of the full W10 installer and it does the job of just doing an update, but I haven't seen an ISO of just the updater.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I take back what I've said before, the anniversary update turned my tablet into a snail! It's sluggish and Edge freezes from time to time. If I knew better I would never delete my old version of windows to save some space. :(
Should I expect Microsoft to release an update that fixes this or am I totally screwed?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I take back what I've said before, the anniversary update turned my tablet into a snail! It's sluggish and Edge freezes from time to time. If I knew better I would never delete my old version of windows to save some space. :(
Should I expect Microsoft to release an update that fixes this or am I totally screwed?

I've done all 5 of my notebooks and desktops (all Dell) and all are working great. No issues. Given what that Chuwi Hi12 has for a CPU and graphics, I have to say I'm not surprised it's sluggish. A $21 Atom CPU, 4GB RAM and slow low-end Intel Graphics driving a 1440p screen, with a slow flash HD? But, it sounds like you were better off before the 1607 update, so something must have changed with the update. Check your build with WINVER and make sure you are on 14393.82...that is the latest build with latest CU's applied.

To be honest, I'm surprised W10 runs on that thing without slowness!

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I've done all 5 of my notebooks and desktops (all Dell) and all are working great. No issues. Given what that Chuwi Hi12 has for a CPU and graphics, I have to say I'm not surprised it's sluggish. A $21 Atom CPU, 4GB RAM and slow low-end Intel Graphics driving a 1440p screen, with a slow flash HD? But, it sounds like you were better off before the 1607 update, so something must have changed with the update. Check your build with WINVER and make sure you are on 14393.82...that is the latest build with latest CU's applied.

To be honest, I'm surprised W10 runs on that thing without slowness!
Yes, it's low end hardware. On my home pc (2500k overclocked to 4.3ghz, 8gb DDR3 1600mhz, Nvidia Gtx 1070, SSD drive) I haven't noticed anything also, of course. But, has you said, the tablet was working fine before the update. And if you check the internet (reddit, windows related forums, etc), you will see lots of people with this issue, between others (slow booting, audio not working, hard drives not recognized...) on PC and tablets better than mine (surface 4,dor for instance) so I'm not alone.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's low end hardware. On my home pc (2500k overclocked to 4.3ghz, 8gb DDR3 1600mhz, Nvidia Gtx 1070, SSD drive) I haven't noticed anything also, of course. But, has you said, the tablet was working fine before the update. And if you check the internet (reddit, windows related forums, etc), you will see lots of people with this issue, between others (slow booting, audio not working, hard drives not recognized...) on PC and tablets better than mine (surface 4,dor for instance) so I'm not alone.
It almost seems luck of the draw. My first attempt of upgrading my laptop went south and decided to start with a clean install rather than my system image. Since then, other than a minor glitch or two popping up on a rare basis (i.e. Cortana icon disappearing after sleep until a reboot even though the blank space still opens Cortana), W10 AU has been running great.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It almost seems luck of the draw. My first attempt of upgrading my laptop went south and decided to start with a clean install rather than my system image. Since then, other than a minor glitch or two popping up on a rare basis (i.e. Cortana icon disappearing after sleep until a reboot even though the blank space still opens Cortana), W10 AU has been running great.
Thanks. I'm going to try to do a clean install, then, and see if it helps.
Cheers

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I'm going to try to do a clean install, then, and see if it helps.
Cheers
Worth a try. Besides, a fresh start typically helps keep things fresh and running faster. If course, I have made a system image upon getting everything set up the way I like just in case. After about 18 months I typically do fresh installs of everything on my Windows computers.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Worth a try. Besides, a fresh start typically helps keep things fresh and running faster. If course, I have made a system image upon getting everything set up the way I like just in case. After about 18 months I typically do fresh installs of everything on my Windows computers.
I did the clean install. It's very smooth now. I noticed however that after some cumulative automatic updates Edge is freezing again ("webpage stopped working, want to recover it?"). Maybe I should uninstall them. Or else wait for Microsoft to launch another update that fixes the last one ;)
What do you think?

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I did the clean install. It's very smooth now. I noticed however that after some cumulative automatic updates Edge is freezing again ("webpage stopped working, want to recover it?"). Maybe I should uninstall them. Or else wait for Microsoft to launch another update that fixes the last one ;)
What do you think?

I had read that someone was actually using Edge. Now we know who that is. :)

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I had read that someone was actually using Edge. Now we know who that is. :)
I only use Edge on this tablet (low end CPU) because it's the only one that's smooth. The rest of them it's a horrible experience, scrolling seems like slow motion. From what I've read it's the only browser that was made with also tablets in mind. At home I use Chrome (powerful normal PC).

Thembani Simango

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update 14393.10 Discussion (Production Ring/Official)

I did that, but the only way I know to have it reinstall is to remove and plug it back in again. When I do that, I still get the same results.

Ok, the old flash drive that works is in FAT format. The external drive is in NTFS format. The newer flash drive that is not working just in my S3 is in FAT32 format.

And again, all of these drives work fine on multiple computers elsewhere, but not my S3 (which is the only one with the W10AU as of now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster