Edge SOMETIMES does not prompt to save password - anniversary update

Daryl Mark

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
OK, now that extensions are finally enabled in Edge I am trying to use it more often (IE11 crashes consistently now anyway after one of the June updates were pushed).

I have both "Offer to save passwords" and "Save form entries" turned ON, and I know the settings took because some sites (forums I frequent, Amazon, etc.) I log in once and it offers to save the passwords, I click "yes" and when I come back to the site my username is selectable from a drop-down and it logs me in automatically - exactly as it should.

Some other sites (Gmail, Yahoo email, etc.) it never even prompts, and when I leave the site or close Edge then return nothing is saved.

Anyone else having this issue or know a cure? C'mon MS, it's been a year now, which should be PLENTY to polish this browser to a usable state.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Saving of passwords is not as easy as you'd think. The browser has to detect that a form has passwords. It is even possible for sites to request that the browser doesn't autocomplete. And then sites like Google, which split the login into different steps are just making life very tricky.

Daryl Mark

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I understand that, but every other browser (including IE11) accomplishes this just fine. So while "not easy" it is far from "impossible."

I like the minimalist interface and integration of Edge and keep trying to switch over, but it still seems like it's not ready yet. It was on the back burner for a whole year for me due to the lack of support for extensions.

Daryl Mark

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Update: IE11 DID do this fine previously. Chrome and Firefox are still OK, but the same sites that Edge struggles with IE11 cannot not do now either.

I wonder if the anniversary update did something to corrupt part of the saved form fills / passwords. I went to "Manage" in Edge settings and there are no entries there for the sites that do not work, thus I cannot simply delete and re-create an entry.

I suppose I could clear it all and start over, but since Edge and IE11 seem to share the same saves for form entries and passwords the list is huge, and I don't want to re-enter them all.

SlickTrack

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Update: IE11 DID do this fine previously. Chrome and Firefox are still OK, but the same sites that Edge struggles with IE11 cannot not do now either.

I wonder if the anniversary update did something to corrupt part of the saved form fills / passwords. I went to "Manage" in Edge settings and there are no entries there for the sites that do not work, thus I cannot simply delete and re-create an entry.

I suppose I could clear it all and start over, but since Edge and IE11 seem to share the same saves for form entries and passwords the list is huge, and I don't want to re-enter them all.

It's now September of 2018 and Edge has not fixed this, I have to keep using Chrome. I have to go into Chrome to unmask my password, Even doing that I still have to manually enter passwords. Facebook, I have to enter manually each time. Edge is a huge time waster. It is faster than Chrome, I get 30-34 mbps Edge will hit the speed that I get. Chrome is 10 mbps slower, I wish those dum dums would fix these errors, even now in 2018 Edge has not addressed you issue. Do you know if there is a work around?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs