Need 16GB of free disk space for the AU?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing any update pending on Windows Update so I've downloaded the update assistant tool from MS to force it. It worked fine on two of my desktop PC's but it complains about having not enough disk space on my 32GB Dell Venue Pro. It currently has ~4GB but it says I need a whopping 16GB! That seems a bit too much. Anyone know of a good workaround for this? If I wait for the scheduled WU update, will it still require much less disk space?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing any update pending on Windows Update so I've downloaded the update assistant tool from MS to force it. It worked fine on two of my desktop PC's but it complains about having not enough disk space on my 32GB Dell Venue Pro. It currently has ~4GB but it says I need a whopping 16GB! That seems a bit too much. Anyone know of a good workaround for this? If I wait for the scheduled WU update, will it still require much less disk space?

it needs the space for downloading the file, unpacking it and installing it. During installation, old windows files are also stored (this took 10GB on my surface). So yes, that space is needed.

Do disk cleanup and remove files if possible

r4incs

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
16 GB? Are they crazy? I have Windows 10 on 50 GB partition with 300 MB currently... how am I supposed to free such space?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
16 GB? Are they crazy? I have Windows 10 on 50 GB partition with 300 MB currently... how am I supposed to free such space?

300MB free? What's occupying all that space? Can't you move it temporarily to another partition or an external drive?

If I'm right: 4GB download file, 6GB unpacking size, 10GB old windows files (in case you need to revert to older OS)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, but reverting to the previous version is as simple as restoring from the system image on one's external HDD or network share. MS need to make this massive space requirement for an unnecessary backup optional, especially when Windows knows there's not enough space to do it. A warning message to make a system image should be enough.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
it needs the space for downloading the file, unpacking it and installing it. During installation, old windows files are also stored (this took 10GB on my surface). So yes, that space is needed.

Do disk cleanup and remove files if possible

I tried to update my wife's HP tablet to 10, in July, with 17GB available, and it still said it was not enough.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly, I had to use an external drive (SD card or something) to upgrade my DV8P to W10 last year. Looks like I have to do it again which is not a huge deal for me, but MS should give a better instruction on how to proceed instead of just throwing up an error message like that. Most people would be completely lost and just curse at MS. That's how you lose your customers for good.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Could you make a USB install disk and upgrade that way? I haven't tried to upgrade by that route yet, but I did make a USB boot disk from the ISO.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Well, you don't really have a choice do you ? If you want it, you need to FIND the space. If you don't have it, then don't install it.

If your doing partitions, just shrink another partition and extend your current one, you could always do a temp, and after it's installed put the space back.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Could you make a USB install disk and upgrade that way? I haven't tried to upgrade by that route yet, but I did make a USB boot disk from the ISO.

Yes, I'm currently applying the update using a SD card via USB reader.

For those in similar situation, my recommendation is to get a 16GB or higher flash drive (e.g. SD card on a USB reader). Use Media Creation Tool to download the update (for DV8P, choose 32-bit W10) to the external drive. Open the drive in File Explore and click on setup.exe. It will ask you for another 10GB space for installation. You should have at least 12GB left on your drive so choose the same drive for this purpose. That should do it. Installation is very, very slow on DV8P so make sure you charge your device fully unless you have a way to keep it plugged in during the whole process (DV8P can't charge and use USB port concurrently unless you have a special cable.)

EDIT: It took about 2 hours total. Make sure to select "keep my files and settings" when starting the installation unless you want to wipe clean for some reason.

Last edited:

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Got the same problem on my 8" Lenovo Yoga. I freed up about 17.1Gb and it still says not enough space,. Whole Win10 installation is about 9.5Bg!!!!!

I alreday updated on my laptop, 229Gb left before AU and 223Gb left after AU. This leads me to assumption, that most if not all of those required 16Gb space will be whipped once installation is done and we get back to more or less similar space occupied by Win10.

Media Creation Tool is not an option as it basically creates ISO of complete installation and not only update. Why should I then run another install over Win10 I got? Doesnt make sense.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Got the same problem on my 8" Lenovo Yoga. I freed up about 17.1Gb and it still says not enough space,. Whole Win10 installation is about 9.5Bg!!!!!
Media Creation Tool is not an option as it basically creates ISO of complete installation and not only update. Why should I then run another install over Win10 I got? Doesnt make sense.
If that's not an option (never mind it worked for me), please do share another way to do this. Seriously, I'd like to know.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
scratching left ear with your right hand is also option, but not convenient,eh?

if I run another installation from Media Creation Tool and it eats extra 10Gb, what's the point? Can you please check on your end and let me know whether it adds any extra GBs? Thanks

In my opinion, the AU experience is totally crippled and once again MS completely messed it up. Aug 2nd was promoted, but minority of users received it, Mobile version postponed till unknown date and on top of that we cannot install to tablets as it needs unbelievable 16Gb of free space.
Responsible VP (Gabe Aul) should be asked for explanation as this is actually happening all the time with Win10 and it also negatively impacted the Lumia sales when 950serie came out.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
scratching left ear with your right hand is also option, but not convenient,eh?

if I run another installation from Media Creation Tool and it eats extra 10Gb, what's the point? Can you please check on your end and let me know whether it adds any extra GBs? Thanks

In my opinion, the AU experience is totally crippled and once again MS completely messed it up. Aug 2nd was promoted, but minority of users received it, Mobile version postponed till unknown date and on top of that we cannot install to tablets as it needs unbelievable 16Gb of free space.
Responsible VP (Gabe Aul) should be asked for explanation as this is actually happening all the time with Win10 and it also negatively impacted the Lumia sales when 950serie came out.
That 10G extra it asks for before installation kicks off can be on the external drive (read my earlier post) and don't affect your W10 device. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked for me because I only had 4GB left going in, would it? Oh maybe all of this can't be true because it's "not an option" lol. Look, do your thing and don't mind this thread unless you have a better working method. I'm just sharing my experience to help others. YMMV of course.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly, I had to use an external drive (SD card or something) to upgrade my DV8P to W10 last year. Looks like I have to do it again which is not a huge deal for me, but MS should give a better instruction on how to proceed instead of just throwing up an error message like that. Most people would be completely lost and just curse at MS. That's how you lose your customers for good.

I tried to update my wife's HP tablet to 10, in July, with 17GB available, and it still said it was not enough.

maybe MS should give a guideline on the minimum hard drive space for any pc or tablet. Producing tablets with 32GB is not an option these days

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
maybe MS should give a guideline on the minimum hard drive space for any pc or tablet. Producing tablets with 32GB is not an option these days

What really pissed me off was that the update does a check on space and it passed. Then it came back and said it was not enough. I got rid of everything that I could but it wasn't enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium