[Windows 10 x64 Annivesary Update] Black lock screen

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi,

I have the lock screen set to 'Windows Spotlight'. When locking the computer it just shows a black lock screen with time and date in the lower left corner. No picture. First when I press the keyboard or my mouse, I get the logon screen with a picture from Windows Spotlight behind it. Is this a bug or a feature of the annivesary update? With Windows 10 1511 I had the spotlight image both on the lock screen and on the logon screen.

Best regards
TGMadsen

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have just noticed, that if I reboot my computer, I get the spotlight image both on the lock and on the logon screen after reboot, but after logging in to Windows and later locking the computer with the win key + L, the lock screen is black and it stays black until next reboot (I use the win key + L a lot during a work day).

I have the same issue hence the reason i asked to check if it works on restart - which it does

There's a solution posted above, try it out and get back to us to see if that works :smile:

TGMadsen

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

I you mean that the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” should be a solution then no. It has nothing to do with the lock screen issue. As I wrote earlier, this option is already enabled in my case.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

I you mean that the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” should be a solution then no. It has nothing to do with the lock screen issue. As I wrote earlier, this option is already enabled in my case.

Ah, sorry, hadn't read that part. I just updated my pc and I think the issue went away. I'm on 14393.82

HuskerAlpha

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
re:

This is what I tried -

Disable "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" -> Apply Changes -> Re-enable "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" and apply changes again.

That seemed to work for me. Hope that helps!

The K-os

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
re:

Capture.JPG
I checked ALL of the boxes (manually had to check those 2 boxes as well) and everything works fine now.

TGMadsen

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

Strange. I too had the 'Save taskbar thumbnail previews' and 'Show shadows under mouse pointer' disabled (not disabled by me though). After enabling those two, I have background image on the lock screen instead of just a black lock screen. Great and thanks!

Regards
TGMadsen

TGMadsen

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

Strange. I too had the 'Save taskbar thumbnail previews' and 'Show shadows under mouse pointer' disabled (not disabled by me though). After enabling those two, I have background image on the lock screen instead of just a black lock screen. Great and thanks!

Regards
TGMadsen

Alas it keeps changing my settings after a reboot, although 'Custom'settings for visual effects is chosen.

htdw3

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

Sounds like your system files are corrupt try running

"DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

from an elevated command prompt if you get an error try again.

Not positive but I think dism pauses when the system is locked so I usually avoid that.

alphapanda

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
re:

In case the problem is not solved:
1. Choose the picture you want as "Picture"

2. Choose "Slideshow" and choose a folder

3. the screen should be displaying your picture instead of the folder's slideshow.

I don't know how it works or if it even works on your computer, but try it anyways. Also don't know if the folder must contain the same picture you wanted to display.

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
re:

I also had the problem and tried everything in the thread and none worked. However the comment saying ease of access helped me find my own solution, hope it works for you.

settings --> ease of access --> other options(left bar) --> turn off *Show Windows background*

this worked for both windows spotlight and an image of my choosing. I hope it helps.

DrKajun

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
re:

Fix: Black/Blank Login screen
1. Go to Settings and select Update & security > Windows Defender.
2. Under Exclusions, select Add an exclusion.
3. Under Files and Folders Select the Add button "Exclude File".
4. Navigate to the file "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\SRPlog.txt" and select "Exclude this file" Button.
5. Done.

Registry Techie Stuff:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths"
Name: "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\SRPlog.txt"
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: "0"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss