Windows Mail on Windows 10 - subfolders incomplete

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have had this issue for some time, but now that I have the latest insider build and the problem still remains, it's about time I sought some advice.

I have an outlook.com email account which is fine on phone and on the outlook.com website, but I have an issue with the desktop Mail app in Windows 10 whereby it shows the folder structure as normal including sub-folders that I have created, however the contents of some sub-folders is incomplete. For example, I have a folder where I have put all the emails concerning an upcoming holiday i.e. flight details, accommodation etc. and when I view my Outlook email account via a web browser, I am able to see everything that should be in these sub-folders, but when using the Mail client in Windows 10, it shows just 2 or 3 emails in the same folder, refreshing or re-syncing the folder has no effect. As you can imagine I was quite disturbed when I first discovered this as I thought I had lost a lot email to do with the holiday.

If anyone has any ideas on why this happening and maybe a way of solving it, it would be much appreciated.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have had this issue for some time, but now that I have the latest insider build and the problem still remains, it's about time I sought some advice.

I have an outlook.com email account which is fine on phone and on the outlook.com website, but I have an issue with the desktop Mail app in Windows 10 whereby it shows the folder structure as normal including sub-folders that I have created, however the contents of some sub-folders is incomplete. For example, I have a folder where I have put all the emails concerning an upcoming holiday i.e. flight details, accommodation etc. and when I view my Outlook email account via a web browser, I am able to see everything that should be in these sub-folders, but when using the Mail client in Windows 10, it shows just 2 or 3 emails in the same folder, refreshing or re-syncing the folder has no effect. As you can imagine I was quite disturbed when I first discovered this as I thought I had lost a lot email to do with the holiday.

If anyone has any ideas on why this happening and maybe a way of solving it, it would be much appreciated.

can you check the time period for syncing emails?If you have set it up for 2 weeks, any email older than 2 weeks might not show up. Set it for a longer period and sync again

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
can you check the time period for syncing emails?If you have set it up for 2 weeks, any email older than 2 weeks might not show up. Set it for a longer period and sync again

I'll look into that, but from memory it has just shown the same three emails the last few months, and none of the other emails that should be there, that are visible on the outlook.com website of the same account.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I do have "Outlook 2010" installed on my PC, so I think the easiest thing to do would be to download the "Outlook Hotmail Connector" addon and set my account up in "Outlook 2010" instead. The Windows 10 Mail app is basic at best and on top of that, I think I'd end up spending more time trying to resolve the problem than I would by just using proper Outlook.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
All sorted, you're supposed to use the "Outlook Hotmail Connector" in this situation but it doesn't work, if you just add your email address and let Outlook try and discover the settings automatically (as you would with a non-Microsoft account), it works fine, though if you have 2FA enabled on the account, you will need to log in to your MS account and generate an app password to use with Outlook. Sounds messy, but actually it was easy enough once I got past the fact that you don't need to use the add-on designed specifically to be used in this scenario. Outlook 2010 has configured my outlook.com email address as an Exchange account which is fine with me, maybe my calendar data will show up in Outlook2010 as well, which would be nice, but I've not checked this yet.

Maybe my experience will be useful to someone else one day, hence the sharing of it here. Outlook 2010 is way better than the built-in Mail app in Windows 10!!!

Update: it does sync the calendar as well, so it's pretty much like having a full MS Exchange account. Very useful indeed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss