Secondary Hard Disk Vanishes on AU update!

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the conversation. After AU I have several USB Sticks that are experiencing the same issue. Plug into AU Windows machine and it shows unallocated cannot mount the drive. Go to an Non-AU machine, and USB stick functions correctly.

This is not limited to certain types of drives. I see it being reported on the AnandTech forums as well.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the conversation. After AU I have several USB Sticks that are experiencing the same issue. Plug into AU Windows machine and it shows unallocated cannot mount the drive. Go to an Non-AU machine, and USB stick functions correctly.
This is not limited to certain types of drives. I see it being reported on the AnandTech forums as well.

USB stick issue was mentioned on reddit thread too. Looks like we're waiting on same fix...

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Giving this a bump -- I've stopped Windows Updates because of this issue. Has anyone heard whether the problem has been corrected, or are we still waiting for a solution?

I've searched the Web -- haven't founf where the problem is resolved yet. . .

Thanks. . .

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Giving this a bump -- I've stopped Windows Updates because of this issue. Has anyone heard whether the problem has been corrected, or are we still waiting for a solution?

Check the reddit thread. Shortly - no, neither of two cumulative updates, released after the anniversary one, fix the issue. The MS guy said that they got to the root of the problem and fix is coming - and it was 20 days ago...

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that new cumulative update (KB3189866) fixed this problem. I had one WD 1TB drive showing up as "RAW", and it is working fine now.

Iosif Mila

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The new Cumulative Update for Windows 10 AU, KB3189866, has also resolved the issue regarding external USB hard-drives not being recognized / NTFS partition not detected or RAW format partition. Many users had this issue and could not access their files and folders after updating to Windows 10 AU. So this update finally fixed the issue.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Problem not yet resolved, THE UPDATE - KB3189866, has only fixed the prob for some for others it remains so including myself! MS are working on a fix for that as stated on the reddit thread!

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Fixed the issue for me.
What I don't understand, though, is why KB3189866 updated my PC without any notifications/permission. You see, I rolled back Anniv. update a while ago, and wasn't updating PC ever since, waiting for the fix to be confirmed. Yet, next morning after KB3189866 release, I found my desktop rebooted and up-to-date... Thankfully, the secondary disk is there, so seems my issue is gone. But what if it didn't contain the fix - then I would have to roll back again.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
glad to hear it resolved for you, hope MS doesn't leave behind the folk for whom they cant fix the issue and releases a fix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786