03-21-2017 08:36 AM
67 123
tools
    Mine work with most "Live" alerts, things that get sync'd via Cortana, or Live, from what I can tell.
    I can dismiss calendar alerts, texts, and emails, and they reflect on various devices. How a device (non-Windows) deals with the message will probably vary a LOT though. I definitely don't get the same "level" of consistency that I had, with my 950XL (now that I'm using an Android phone, with Cortana).

Cortana on my Android (6.01) tablet is almost a waste of time, I had to manually install, and it rarely syncs anything. If I cared more, I'd debug it, but realistically the AT&T messaging app on my tablet works better anyway, and the built-in calendar works decently too; I don't really care if they're somewhat disjoint.
    10-15-2016 09:00 PM
    Found out that the Cortana app on Android has additional permission settings to allow sending SMS and a few others that make it work better for responding to notifications (both through Cortana voice actions, and via the message that pops up in the notification center). Enabled the rest by going to Apps > Cortana > Permissions.

Once I enabled everything, things are syncing up much better now:
    screenshot_20161017-202102.jpg
    10-17-2016 08:41 PM
    I think android handles universal dismiss (if exists) differently than windows mobile, being another ecosystem.
    In android everything is handled by Cortana, in windows it requires lines of codes in the app.
    10-18-2016 02:04 AM
    Joe, what about, I don't know, facebook notifications? Or MSN news alerts? Do they dismiss universally if you have the app both in your win10 mobile and win 10 pc?
    TBH I haven't seen it work with anything other than text messages. I actively disabled whatsapp beta notifications on the PC (got a little busy..), but weirdly there are very few other apps in the notification sync settings.

On the PC I only see these phone apps available for notification sync
    - Alarms
    - missed calls
    - messaging
    - Bank of America
    - Notiny (uninstalled from phone and PC, why does it show here?)
    - Share to speech
    - Strawberry weather (uninstalled, why does it show?)

I have only the first four toggled on, and I don't recall seeing a BofA notification in a while on the PC. So maybe that means those do universally dismiss. Seeing those setting is still hit or miss BTW, wish MS would fix that.

On the phone I have 38 options under notification sync, with 15 active. Something is not working.. Wait, I'm probably being dumb here: you have to have the same app installed on PC and phone.. right? Somehow I thought Windows could just synchronize banners from the notification center, but it makes sense that the app needs to be on both devices. I would RTFM, but I don't know where the FM is posted. :)
    10-18-2016 07:21 AM
    Hey joe thanks for the feedback.
    To my knowledge, only applications who sent a notification appears on the PC phone apps list. You always need a notification first, then you can toggle in on or off on the pc. I noticed that when i first started syncing, since i have a Dual Sim i had the Personal SIM listed but not the Business SIM because i hadn't received a text with that SIM yet. I sent myself a message and it popped out in the settings.
    I also noticed you don't see an application listed if you already installed it in your PC. Skype preview is a good example. It IS listed in the phone, but not on PC.
    10-18-2016 08:19 AM
    Yeah, Alberto has hit it exactly, if the app doesn't implement notifications 100% correctly, then I'm sure dismiss (amongst other things) is a wash, and your app won't show in the Cortana list, either.

The Skype Beta app is all kinds of messed-up, IMHO; I'm surprised they even ship it.
    I can't toggle it, as mentioned, and I'm sure I could find it buried in the registry or obscure file somewhere, but it's just not useful, if you ask me. I tried un-install and re-install too, same deal.
    I'm not on the latest insider build though, or app build, I sort of gave up after a ditched my 950XL, after the AU. Things got way too unstable on my phone, and I decided I didn't need that on my PC/laptop...
    10-18-2016 12:37 PM
    Let's not talk about skype preview, because it's been frustrating me since the beginning. I use it to text with my gf who lives in the US, and i really need it because i can use it on my pc, phone, Xbox and Mediacenter... Well, if only it worked smoothly..

Anyways, this notification issue is really driving me insane. I've been finding "orphaned" notification on all my devices since AU (thanks god Xbox doesn't have them yet), and it took me literally minutes to dig into all of them every time to the point I almost dismiss all of them at once now, and just fire up the app to see what's new. It's a total disaster. Utterly unreliable.
    Last edited by Alberto Semenzato; 10-19-2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Grammar corrections :P
    10-19-2016 02:49 AM
    Hi ! It's doing just fine except for Yahoo, and who knows when they will get their act together! They got hacked and have went plum crazy with their security.
    10-19-2016 03:00 AM
    I'm getting everything except SMS messages. I can send messages using Cortana on my PC but if a message comes to my phone it does not transfer to the PC for me to reply. I am getting missed call notifications though.
    Rosebank likes this.
    11-02-2016 03:07 PM
    use to work for me until I updated my PC with the last cumulative update and now the sync doesn't even work
    Exact same
    11-02-2016 04:13 PM
    I'm getting everything except SMS messages. I can send messages using Cortana on my PC but if a message comes to my phone it does not transfer to the PC for me to reply. I am getting missed call notifications though.
    snap
    11-02-2016 04:14 PM
    Hi ! Maybe Patch Tuesday will address this issue?? We can always hope!
    11-02-2016 04:52 PM
    Yeah, the last update killed it, frustrating. It was working pretty well, for a long time too, kind of got used to being able to use it...
    I get all notifications (from Android Cortana) except messages, to clarify. The option to sync messages is "greyed out" now on my device too, and if you check the KB, it says the PC needs to be an AU build (hmm, yeah...) to enable.

Oh, and occasionally I still get messages, but I can't reply, they just pop up, maybe every 20th or so, it's odd.

Something is clearly very broken, again.
    Joe920 likes this.
    11-02-2016 05:54 PM
    I lost the functionality in the Preview build before last.
    11-03-2016 09:41 AM
    I get all my notification from phone to pc, but i'm still on windows phone so I really can't help those who have android.
    SMS sync on windows phone is now performed by skype preview, and after 11.9.x update it works *almost* flawlessy.

The real problem for me is Universal Dismiss though. I have one phone, one desktop, one mediacenter and a surface, and I need to dismiss the very same notification 4 times. The clear example is MSN News notifications. I dismissed it on my pc a few minutes ago, it's still on my phone, and I just turned on surface pro 3 to find it again, along with many old ones. Universal dismiss doesn't work at all, it's clearly flawed.
    11-11-2016 02:02 AM
    Quick update for me: notification sync has been working about the same for me since it first rolled out, which basically I only seem to get phone notifications on my computers but it's not consistent. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's not. My pc notifications NEVER go to my phone and everything is enabled correctly in cortana on all devices.. Also I still get duplicate notifications even though the setting to minimize those is turned on, probably has to do with whatever error is causing my pc notifications to not be synced across devices I'm guessing.
    Joe920 likes this.
    11-12-2016 07:21 AM
    So, anyone else having issues with this lately?
    My notifications come through for most things except for text messaging. And I can no longer send text messages from my computer.

Anyone know how to resolve this?
    03-21-2017 08:36 AM
67 123