Problem with Win 10 cumulative update from 14393.5 to 14393.51

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I had already done the cumulative update from 14393.5 to 14393.51 on two of our systems with no problems, but the update failed on the third system when restarting and all I see is the sp;inning wheel. I see some disk flashing to begin with then finally no more disk activity and just the wheel keeps spinning. Have tried switching off and restarting but still the same problem. PC is a Samsung all-in-one desktop. No previous problems so appears to be a software issue.
Anybody have an idea where to start?
Mikeb

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Try a System Restore. Power off the PC. Then power it on. When you see the initial loading ring, power it off. Power it back on. Windows should present you with a diagnostic boot menu. From there you can try Safe Mode, or do a System Restore and take the system back before the update. You can also try a Refresh of Windows (which won't delete your files).

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks I will do that tomorrow, actually I believe that I did try restarting at that stage but I will try again. In any case I never got any diagnostic boot menu.
I guess that I can also shove a boot disk in and start it like that, I'm making one now..
It was interesting that the big Anniversary update was accepted with no problems but the smaller update of last night really screwed it....
Thanks for you advice, I'll tell you how things gol
Mike

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It may take a few times. If you interrupt Windows startup a few times (I think 3) it will present you with a "Please Wait" and then give you the Windows Startup Repair menu.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue last night (kind of), I talked to Tech support today and they couldn't fix it, so they kicked me up to the next level of support; I am scheduled for a 9am call tomorrow.

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting I will be interested to hear what they tell you!
Regards,
Mike

I was told that this Notebook will have to be turned back to Windows 7. Because HP is no longer supporting the Drivers. (This is why I NO LONGER will buy a HP product - TOP-OF-LINE product at the time - now they choose not to support it; why should they? They already have my money!)

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes HP are great at doing that with their printers too. But often there are work-arounds, I have an ancient but extremely robust HP 6122 that refuses to die but has not had driver support for years but if you tell the system it is a 990c then it works perfectly. It will far outlive the modern light weight multi-task printers that die after a couple of years.
Mike

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I still have problems with this, but at least I managed to get it to boot in safe mode and in safe mode with network, anyone know what is the best way of identifying why the normal mode boot always fails?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I still have problems with this, but at least I managed to get it to boot in safe mode and in safe mode with network, anyone know what is the best way of identifying why the normal mode boot always fails?

Hey Mike. So...I spent the last two days with MS Tech Support, at the end of the day, I choose (right or wrong) to convert my HP Envy 17 back to W7. I too, could run in safe mode, but my Envy17 would go into a perpetual blue circling mouse cursor (let run for 24hrs), in normal mode. My problem was that their were no driver updates for the Evny17, to support W10 AU. You may be able to find drivers for your unit, but I couldn't.

Mikeb99

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
My drivers appear to be OK, at least they are not showing any requirement for updates. How did you know that you had a driver problem?

Mike

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
My drivers appear to be OK, at least they are not showing any requirement for updates. How did you know that you had a driver problem?

Mike

After I would log in, everything worked fine for about 2 mins, the; I got a perpetual blue circling mouse cursor, and/or screen would not respond to mouse click. Checked HP Support website; under my model, only Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 were supported.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If everything worked for 2 mins, sounds like a service that's starting up Automatic (Delayed). Those services don't startup for about 1 min after the system starts up.

Right click on the Start button and choose Computer Management. Go to Services and Applications - then Services. Go down the list and see which ones are Automatic (Delayed) as the startup type. There are typically only a few - my SP3 has 7 services delayed.

The biggest service typically in Delayed is "Windows Search" which is the index service that scans your files. You can try disabling that temporarily to see if it helps. Just make sure you make a note of the delayed services you disable, so you can re-enable them later after your testing.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
If everything worked for 2 mins, sounds like a service that's starting up Automatic (Delayed). Those services don't startup for about 1 min after the system starts up.

Right click on the Start button and choose Computer Management. Go to Services and Applications - then Services. Go down the list and see which ones are Automatic (Delayed) as the startup type. There are typically only a few - my SP3 has 7 services delayed.

The biggest service typically in Delayed is "Windows Search" which is the index service that scans your files. You can try disabling that temporarily to see if it helps. Just make sure you make a note of the delayed services you disable, so you can re-enable them later after your testing.

Dewg, I really appreciate your input...thank you.

I have elected to just turn this notebook back to Windows 7; I have a program that does not work with Windows 8 and above, so I will use this computer for this purpose - I am also able to get Netflix still, so overall I am OK with it - plus I gained back Windows Media Center, maybe I can record some tv programs for trip abroad.

Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos