Why Does The W10 Anniversary Update Require a Product Key?

TarShoduze

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So I have a Windows 10 Home Single Language, upgraded from a legal Windows 8.1 Home Single Language. It is currently version 10586. It is Single Language, English, but I prefer it to be in Japanese, so I manually downloaded the Japanese language pack and replaced the English one using instructions found on the net. It works perfectly. However, this month, there is a new update of Windows, and I want to upgrade to it. The update doesn't show up in Windows Update, so I manually downloaded the Upgrade Assistant Tool, but when it finished downloading and checking the update, it just starts downloading again. So I have a really slow network connection, and I got frustrated, so I downloaded the Media Creation Tool, chose Home Single Language Japanese x64. It finished downloading. So I copied it to my PC, mounted the ISO using Windows Explorer, and started the EXE. I am greeted by the "Enter the Product Key" (in Japanese) screen, and there is no way to skip it. Entering the product key of the current installation does not work.

My question is, does the ISO need to be EXACTLY my original version, I mean, English Single Language x64? Is my product key for English Single Language, and that's why the installer won't accept it? Can't I use the Japanese installer ISO? Also, I believe I should get the "I don't have a product key" button below the "Enter the Product Key" screen. I could have just pressed that, but it's not displayed.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Only the clean install requires a Key but if you've already upgraded your digital entitlement has been created on the MS server. So you can skip the part where you need to enter a key (hit NEXT). The Anniversary Update is and update that happens while Windows 10 is running or a clean install with the new ISO downloaded from MS after Aug 2nd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion