How to switch Windows 10 Pro and Home editions on two devices

Mateo Tosic

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I had Windows 10 Pro on my older laptop (upgraded from Windows 7 Professional) and I recently bought new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. I would like to explore and learn something about developing apps for Microsoft HoloLens and HoloLens emulator requires Windows 10 Pro because Home edition does not support Hyper-V. I don-t want to use my old laptop for this because it has only 2 GB of RAM and I use it mostly for exploring the internet using Microsoft Edge, reading Windows Central and watching movies. So, I would like to switch systems on these two devices, putting Pro edition on the new laptop and the Home edition on the old one. Is that possible and how could I do it? Thanks for reading this question and if You know the answer I would really appreciate if You answer it.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware. I'm not sure you can swap a license.

The inexpensive way would be to just upgrade the new laptop to Win 10 Pro. . . (I think)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Basically, if you have a boxed retail copy of Windows (or upgraded from a retail copy) then you can install that on any PC (though only on one at a time).

If you have an OEM copy (ie. one that came with the PC from the shop) then that is tied to the PC itself and cannot be transferred. If you updated it to Pro, then that update is also locked to the PC.

The lesson to learn is that it is almost never worth upgrading an OEM copy of Windows from Home to Pro. It costs a bit more to buy Pro as a boxed retail edition of Windows rather than an update, but you will save money in the long run as you can keep it between hardware changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss