Some clarification on Windows Phone vs Windows 10

fitcious

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Recently I have been more intrigued with the Windows platform as I use my Surface 3 Pro more and more. I do have a question that I hope some of you can clear up for me.

I know that currently there's Windows 10 (for computers and Surfaces) and there's Window Phone OS. I also hear that some windows phone will be getting software upgrades to Windows 10. Is this Windows 10 the same as the windows 10 on surfaces and computers? Same as in, developers can make the app on Windows 10 platform and the phones will automatically be able to use those apps? I am curious to try a lumia 650 if this is indeed the case.

Thanks for clarifying!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Recently I have been more intrigued with the Windows platform as I use my Surface 3 Pro more and more. I do have a question that I hope some of you can clear up for me.

I know that currently there's Windows 10 (for computers and Surfaces) and there's Window Phone OS. I also hear that some windows phone will be getting software upgrades to Windows 10. Is this Windows 10 the same as the windows 10 on surfaces and computers? Same as in, developers can make the app on Windows 10 platform and the phones will automatically be able to use those apps? I am curious to try a lumia 650 if this is indeed the case.

Thanks for clarifying!

Marketing-wise, Windows Phone has become an "edition" of Windows 10. Windows 10 Mobile.

It's not "the same" as the Windows on desktops. There's a lot of stuff shared, but its not the exact same OS at this time.

Developers CAN make apps that will work on all platforms BUT it is not automatic. Fundamental hardware restrictions means that under-the-hood, many legacy Windows x86 programs will just not work. And on the surface those legacy applications will not adapt to the phone form factor well. (and also the current lack of an x86 chip that fits the size, power and cost requirements)

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 has common One Core on all Windows 10 devices, like PC's, tablets, Xbox, Holo lens, phones. Basically that means that all those devices running Windows 10 share exactly the same code.

To answer your first question, Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile are the same with several notable differences; later having lots of common things as PC, except inability to run x86 and x64 desktop software. Windows 10 mobile is OS adjusted for phone use with some unique features like Continuum (pair your phone with Monitor and optional keyboard & mouse and you can have limited desktop experience running from your phone, currently available on devices like 950 and 950xl), Iris scanner, etc. Pc and phone share the same Windows 10 builds, like Anniversary update, although phone build is supposed to arrive later this month.

To answer your second question, yes, it's called Universal apps. That means if you run an app on your Surface, you can have the same app on your phone and other devices which looks the same and acts the same, although it scales to mobile view, to be accessed easier on smaller screens.
If you buy an app on PC, you can install it on max 10 devices, without paying on them.
Another cool thing is that some apps sync between devices using your Microsoft account so as in example of Microsoft Solitaire, you can play it on PC, go out, launch it on your phone and continue where you left in game! You can recognize Universal apps in Windows store, they have symbols that show their availability on various devices, like PC, Mobile, Xbox, Holo lens, etc.

Hope it helps!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
its just windows phone has become really close to real windows, so they try saying its all the same but its not, not completely, long story short, phone can not run old apps and new ones that are made specifically for pc, those apps can be made to work relatively easily on phone but thats up to the developer

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's another way of looking at it:
In terms of installation size, W10M is less than one third the size of W10. Those additional two thirds in size are required by W10 to run Win32 desktop applications, which W10M can NOT (and never will). The remaining one third is sourced, to a notable degree, from a shared code base that is part of both W10 and W10M. This is what allows both W10 and W10M to run the exact same UWP apps. As xandros9 already mentioned, having that technical capability to run the same UWP app across all form factors, doesn't automagically translate to it being available in practice.

Mohd Fadil A

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Different OS, but universal windows apps will work across both platforms, which is a good move from microsoft to increase app development for both windows 10 platforms

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Developers CAN make apps that will work on all platforms BUT it is not automatic.

It actually IS automatic. In the cases where it's only available for PC and not phone or vice versa, it's an active choice by the developer to not release for the other device family.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ FUD. The only time developers make that "choice" (to limit an UWP app's availability to certain form factors) is when they couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to adapt the UI to various screen sizes... that's an effort that is necessary because that adaptation does NOT occur automatically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss