Continuum Laptop - It lives!

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Nexdock with my new Huawei USB C hub and it's awesome. It's totally exactly what I've been waiting for when I bought the phone almost a year ago.

There are hiccups in the hardware - but dang. Guys. This is it.
NDDZ7cL.jpg

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are hiccups in the hardware - but dang. Guys. This is it.
attachment.php

I got mine today, and I hooked it up 2 ways, via the display dock, and the Microsoft wireless display dongle. I'm currently using it via the miracast dongle, and I have to say, the resolution stinks. when I hardwire connected it via the display dock, I had adequate resolution, but typing i can sort of make out what these works are. that said, I do like the whole setup. I can't wait to get the usb-c to HDMI cable.

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found any issues with the resolution, but I'm also coming from an 11.6" book with the same resolution. I'm really enjoying having this laptop for my phone!

And they've said that they'll replace or repair my unit since it's having the power issue! Make sure you submit a ticket if yours has it.

im.thatoneguy

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be the voice of disagreement. This thing is a disaster. I even used my phone in continuum the other day with great success on a desktop dock/setup but the Nexdock is garbage. For one, there is no solution to use the laptop as a charging source while using HDMI and Windows 10 Mobile has terrible battery life as-is. It's unusable connected with continuum. You can't even turn off the phone screen while using continuum although you can set it to "darkest".

Lots of websites as we all know don't work well with Windows Mobile Edge. It's all the more apparent with a laptop form factor which renders websites even slower and this forum for instance is unusable. The touchpad is awful. If you scroll past a banner add half the time it touches it as well as scrolling so you open 10 windows of ads. And the phone is too slow to quickly close them.

For a 'dumb' display this heavy it should have wayyyyyyyy better battery life. It has shorter battery life than a Macbook which has a full intel processor and GPU running.

Just buy a cheap Windows 10 laptop. You'll be a lot happier I guarantee it.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want to add to my previous comments about miracast since I recently got my usb-c to hdmi connection. The resolution was a lot better then the miracast hookup. Its definitely readable and tolerable for watching videos. this is like the lumia 640 display, not the lumia 950 display. it just get's the job done.

Since I've only had this for a couple days, I can't say whether the battery is good or bad.

The keyboard is adequate, and the touchpad is nowhere near as nice as the surface pro 4's, but the surface pro's type pad also cost more then this entire laptop dock. again, it works, but it's not going to set the bar for keyboards or touchpads to be designed to. I would put this at the lumia 550 level of keyboards

This is a crowd sourced $100 display and bluetooth keyboard with trackpad and battery. and ports. and webcam. and speakers. I would like to take it on a trip and see if it makes the cut when it comes to doing more things, but i can't help but wonder about other options. I know there's no way i can get a setup better then this for $100, but what would I get if i pieced together something with individual components?
bluetooth keyboard with touchpad: $45 - questionable if the touchpad is better. but hey, it's basically a surface keyboard.
13.3" Travel Screen(touchscreen): $390 - I can't find simpler ones that are plug and play. please let me know if you can. I've seen an HP one for $150, but it's heavy(4.5 pounds) and does not explicitly say it's plug and play. also, there is a non touchscreen version of this for $295, but come on. touchscreen!
battery backup, this is variable based on what you need. we'll say $25

that all said, for $350-450, you may have a better experience, but it's going to cost you alot more then the 99 or 130 that this thing cost.

JDHamilton6

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
13.3" Travel Screen(touchscreen):

I like this. Does anyone make something just like it only battery powered?

Last edited:

JDHamilton6

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Doing a bit of Google searching, it looks like Lenovo had a battery powered wireless touch monitor but dropped it.

I have a vision in my head of what I want. Beam my phone to a 10" or so battery operated dumb monitor and I wouldn't need a tablet.

Several products get close - but never quite there.The HP lap dock would do if it had a detachable screen like a 2 in 1.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to a "version 2.0" that has a usb type c port to handle all connections to the phone (no Bluetooth), along with additional usb ports and the power port. Version 3.0 would be fully wireless, but I'd be content with only having one cable connecting to my phone while charging it.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be the voice of disagreement. .... For one, there is no solution to use the laptop as a charging source while using HDMI and Windows 10 Mobile has terrible battery life as-is. It's unusable connected with continuum. You can't even turn off the phone screen while using continuum although you can set it to "darkest".

1.The MS continuum hub has too many ports to be powered by a regular USB dock, but other hubs, like this one ( http://a.co/8hcPr9P ) are small enough to be powered by regular usb ports. I'm using an old Motorola lapdock, and one of the usb ports is going into the Vtin USB-c power port and keeping my phone charged. That way I don't have an extra power cord to worry about. Sure I want the hub built into the lapdock, but my setup is under $100, so I won't complain too much. :grin:
2. Blackout for Continuum, is an app that mostly turns off the phone screen while using continuum. The screen still can respond when needed, but the phone runs a lot cooler.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte