"Hey Cortana" - Any PC users actually still using it?

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
ME, "Hey coratana alram in15 min to turn mottor off!

The voice recognition is really good!

Plus i have Windows mobile synced with her, o i can text call back later, or end message by just dictation, i wont say she is eential of now, but i would say i find her convenient a lot of times,!

I would like more customisation for and lot of improvement but she is the best virtual being out there now!

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Also i would recommend getting a decent mic for cortana on desktop! I

Then it buttersmooth recognition all the way and im not native english speaker!

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I personally use the voice control on mobile devices (phones or tablets) rarely on a desktop or laptop. A few weeks ago I was testing a new android device and decided to install Cortana on it while the voice search was useable it seemed to be that google gimped its usefulness on android. I love setting quick reminders and lists with Cortana where the reminders come back to me when I need them not after I've already gotten home and taken off my shoes..

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy using it. However, my problem is that she responds to "Cortana" even after training. This is on multiple devices (SP3, Lumia 950). She should only respond to "Hey Cortana".

So if I'm talking to someone in the room and say: "I should get on the road cuz Cortana told me it would take 30 mins..." She'll pop up and start listening. 75% of the time if I use the word "Cortana" in a sentence, she pops up.

Such a bummer...

nontheistzero

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I would find that extremely distracting. I'm also the guy that doesn't jump up to answer a phone call, just because the phone is ringing though. I'm just not the target demographic.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Would use it way more if it was called Marvin and if I could change the voice style to sound more depressed. Why wasn't this done from the outset? Was it not obviously the way to go?

Pro Tip: Use a good cardioid mic to talk to it and you'll get a much better result than through your webcam or whatever. No need to go overboard, but having at least a Blue Snowball on there will make a huge difference to false triggers and poor interpretation especially when providing dictation. Well worth it.

Plus, if you get a 'brushed aluminium' Blue Snowball, it'll look like a deathstar. Who wouldn't want that?

anon(391898)

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried using it, and it just never really worked properly.
But most of all I really don't want to talk to my computer when I'm perfectly capable of doing tasks myself correctly the first time and don't have to repeat multiple times to get it to understand me.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried using it, and it just never really worked properly.
But most of all I really don't want to talk to my computer when I'm perfectly capable of doing tasks myself correctly the first time and don't have to repeat multiple times to get it to understand me.

Unless you have a particularly unclear voice, this is almost certainly down to your mic quality. A step up from the little webcam (or equivalent) mics that most people seem to try to use would make the world of difference.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
So....are there people out there that DO use that on a PC? If not, why not?

I use it. I guess it depends on how someone uses his/her computer, but for me, when I'm in my room, my laptop is on and unlocked all the time, and I use it to set reminders and appointments and to ask it quick questions (like during the Rio Olympics, I always asked Cortana what the USA medal count was). I find Cortana on my almost-always-on computer to be even more convenient than picking up and unlocking my phone to do this kind of stuff, especially when I'm not sitting in front of my computer. I know it sounds kinda gimmicky, but man it's fast and convenient.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss