09-20-2016 07:51 PM
34 12
tools
    The "Hey Cortana" voice recognition was probably THE major reason I was a very early upgrader from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. In my experience, on my multiple PC's, it has never worked to where I was able to use it. It's not a question of voice recognition nearly as much as just extreme sluggishness. I see the Cortana field on Windows commercials and it recursively sorts a zillion possible things and quickly 'gets it'. Not on my PC's.

So....are there people out there that DO use that on a PC? If not, why not?

I am installing the Anniversary update on my most-used laptop as I'm typing this on my most-used desktop. I am hoping for some serious improvement in the voice-enabled Cortana operation.

Brian
    RumoredNow and vEEP pEEP like this.
    08-27-2016 02:02 PM
    i have just turned that on :)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-27-2016 02:13 PM
    Yep. When the wife wants me to remind her about something and I'm sitting in front of my laptop, I say "Hey Cortana, remind me to blah blah blah."

Then we both laugh because she has the same setup I have.
    tgp, jmshub, mark233 and 3 others like this.
    08-27-2016 04:57 PM
    Well, after running the Anniversary Update on my fairly low-end laptop, Cortana now seems to be working well enough. MUCH better than it was before the upgrade.

I hope that lasts. If it continues to work this well, I'll keep using it. I like to be able to ask the time and temp, set timers, heads or tail....

The upgrade completed without any glitches, as far as I can tell so far.
    08-27-2016 05:19 PM
    I've been using it more and more, which surprises even me, since I am a die-hard Android user and Google Now was my go to for everything--now on the computer I am using Cortana a lot, and even installed it on my phone to sync text messages and reminders. I am loving it, and it does work across the many, many devices I use in a week.
    08-27-2016 06:44 PM
    "Hey Cortana, send a text to _______," is pretty awesome. I need to use that more.
    jmshub, Kevin Rush and aximtreo like this.
    08-27-2016 07:46 PM
    I am a die-hard Android user and Google Now was my go to for everything--now on the computer I am using Cortana a lot, and even installed it on my phone
    Google Now just never engaged me. Love Cortana.
    08-27-2016 07:47 PM
    I'm an early adopter on every release, but I've never once used Cortana, Google, or Siri. I don't really understand the allure.
    vezycash likes this.
    08-28-2016 11:06 AM
    Well, even though the Anniversary Update got Cortana working better, my main two-in-one tablet/PC (Acer Switch 10) still struggles. Maybe the problem is it only had 2gb of memory. I ended up picking up one of these today, so hopefully my Windows 10 experiences will be much better now. Hopefully.

HP Pavilion 15-au023cl Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i5

Brian
    Last edited by dermbrian; 08-28-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    aximtreo and RumoredNow like this.
    08-28-2016 05:28 PM
    I'm an early adopter on every release, but I've never once used Cortana, Google, or Siri. I don't really understand the allure.
    One of my most favorite "Hey Cortana" used has been; when my desk is full, I am in the middle of something important, I get a 'you have a text from ????' notification from Cortana, on my desktop - "read it, or ignore it" she asks.

"Read it" I say.

"I am on my way home, but I am stopping by the store first" Cortana says; then she says "reply, or ignore"?

"Reply", I say; "OK" I continue; "send it" I add...Done & Gone! Didn't even have to put my pen down.

I can also do this during a run. Very convenient.
    08-28-2016 06:42 PM
    Nope.
    I don't have a mic. And it's easier to type.
    Even on my phone, I rarely use Cortana. I never see anyone use Siri, either.

Even if I did have a mic, I can't see myself screaming at Cortana from another room. Or even in the room...

"Hey Cortana, warm up my dinner and fix me a drink"...<crickets>
    aximtreo and vezycash like this.
    08-28-2016 08:01 PM
    Like RumoredNow, I use Cortana all the time for reminders. I'd be in the infinite doghouse if I didn't. Second most frequent use for her is to open Netflix. :)
    RumoredNow, aximtreo and mtf1380 like this.
    08-28-2016 08:34 PM
    Yes, I use the feature all the time for reminders and finding files, been also using it for searching as well. It's so sensitive that my Lumia 950 will pick me up saying "Hey Cortana" to my Surface Pro 4.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-28-2016 09:56 PM
    ...so sensitive that my Lumia 950 will pick me up saying "Hey Cortana" to my Surface Pro 4.
    "Hey Cortana!"

Cortana on Lumia, "You talking to me?"

"No, get me Cortana on Surface Pro"

"Yo, Cortana on Surface Pro. Hey Cortana on Surface Pro 4. You deaf?"

"Whaat?" Yawns, and stretches, "What? Cortana on Lumia 950?"

"You look like a mess. Out drinking last night?"

"Ummm, I..."

"Just save it. Danj210 wants to talk to you."
    08-29-2016 02:21 AM
    Once I wanted to test this so I had my 2 in 1 on and my main PC on and they both picked it up. Yeah I use it especially if something freezes I can tell her to create another desktop so I can open task manager from there and I also use it for reminders :P
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-29-2016 03:57 AM
    After Microsoft secretly allow Cortana to be used in non-supported countries (like Malaysia. Not sure if it's because I'm an Insider or not), I was finally able to use Hey Cortana on my laptop (phone was an 830, no 'Hey Cortana' support). Tbh, the use case is quite limited for me, but I do use it sometimes. Like make a quick reminder to download stuff, play my music, or just open the internet (or maybe tell a joke or two).

However, the voice listening is still not that good, probably because it still hasn't learned that much on non-native English accent, so Cortana would hear the word I pronounce incorrectly. Just hope this would improve in the near future, as well as adding more commands like shut down my laptop or lock the screen or what not.

But so far, I'm satisfied with it. Just can't help but feel that it could be better.
    saras112 and RumoredNow like this.
    08-29-2016 07:45 AM
    I just realised there is such a function.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-29-2016 10:54 AM
    It's great for when in the car or when you want to make a quick reminder.
    RumoredNow, rkrams and Kevin Rush like this.
    08-29-2016 11:22 AM
    Yep I use Cortana quite a bit. The voice recognition is really good, even with my New Zealand accent :-) I also like how you can just type stuff into the box in terms of how you would say it, and Cortana recognises that too. Very cool feature.

Also she tells good jokes!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-29-2016 01:42 PM
    Also she tells good jokes!
    She is quite the singer too, and you can play movie trivia.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-29-2016 04:38 PM
    ME, "Hey coratana alram in15 min to turn mottor off!

The voice recognition is really good!

Plus i have Windows mobile synced with her, o i can text call back later, or end message by just dictation, i wont say she is eential of now, but i would say i find her convenient a lot of times,!

I would like more customisation for and lot of improvement but she is the best virtual being out there now!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-29-2016 11:32 PM
    Also i would recommend getting a decent mic for cortana on desktop! I

Then it buttersmooth recognition all the way and im not native english speaker!
    08-29-2016 11:39 PM
    I actually used it(before because now I am with Win7) but when I sayed Hey Cortana to my phone it opened on PC, but it's okay.
    08-30-2016 01:52 AM
    I personally use the voice control on mobile devices (phones or tablets) rarely on a desktop or laptop. A few weeks ago I was testing a new android device and decided to install Cortana on it while the voice search was useable it seemed to be that google gimped its usefulness on android. I love setting quick reminders and lists with Cortana where the reminders come back to me when I need them not after I've already gotten home and taken off my shoes..
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-30-2016 10:02 AM
    I enjoy using it. However, my problem is that she responds to "Cortana" even after training. This is on multiple devices (SP3, Lumia 950). She should only respond to "Hey Cortana".

So if I'm talking to someone in the room and say: "I should get on the road cuz Cortana told me it would take 30 mins..." She'll pop up and start listening. 75% of the time if I use the word "Cortana" in a sentence, she pops up.

Such a bummer...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-31-2016 03:14 PM
34 12