Activate Win 10 x 64 on same machine as already activated Win 10 x 32

ozstar

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
HI,

I have Win 10 x 32 activated for a while and now have Win 10 x 64 on another drive in the same both as a dual boot.

The new 64 install has just asked me to Activate it.

I need access to the original x 32 version as it has my programs, shortcuts on it so I know what to move to the x64 one.

Will I lose access to the 32 if I active the 64 or can I have to two going at the same time.

Thanks

oz

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
There is no reason why you should lose access to one install if you're activating another. Unless you use the same key, in which case I'm not sure what might happen. Even then, I don't think your 32-bit install will suddenly disappear.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Your best bet is to move the 32bit install on to the Insider programme. That way, it won't require a licence activation. My only comparable attempt (though I didn't expect it to work) was when I tried to install my Windows 8 ISO with key back to my PC as a virtual machine running under W10 that had been given a digital licence as an update to the W8 key. This would not work, but then the W10 copy was actually running at that time (hence VM). I suspect you won't see the same, since they are running separately, but if your old install complains too much once its licence disappears (which I expect it will) the Insider programme is the solution.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
First of all how did you get to Windows 10 32 bit? Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1? You won't lose access as you can copy the shortcuts in the user folder from the 32 bit windows to the 64 bit user folder under your account profile. No if you bought Windows 10 retail it comes with a 32 and 64 bit media but use the same Key. OEM the 32 and 64 bit are sold separately and have separate keys. The best best if you wanted 64 bit was to download the upgrade from MS and there would be no need for a duel boot. A 64 bit OS will run 99% of the 32 bit software but 32 bit OS won't run 64 bit software at all.

ozstar

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I have the upgrade from win7 retail to Win10 x 32 on 1 drive and have installed from DVD Win 10 x 64 on another drive as a dual boot while I set up the 64.

I have an Active Product key for the 32 but the 64 keeps wanting me to Activate.

As I am not going to use the 32 anymore and it was from a retail Win7, can I use the Prod key from the 32 into the 64?

Thanks

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Should be possible to activate using the same key since it is retail and the hardware is the same. I am not sure about the legality, as you are not permitted to simultaneously have two copies of an operating system using the same retail key.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6