Don't knock Windows 10 Movies & TV.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No one ever seems to talk about Windows 10's Movies and TV app. I know the name is not clever and Microsoft never markets anything well, but this is a solid app that works well and I just learned to like it even more.

After Gene Wilder passed away, my wife and I wanted to watch The Producers, his first film with Mel Brooks. Instinctively, I opened Amazon Video on my Xbox One and searched for it. Not there. I searched for the name and under Gene Wilder. Amazon had some documentary on Wilder, but that was it. No The Producers, no Blazing Saddles, nothing. I then checked Netflix, where I didn't really expect it. No Wilder films at all. I opened Movies and TV and searched for The Producers, and there it was! $2.99 to rent. Good visual and sound quality and we had a nice evening.

Don't overlook Movies and TV. It is an overlooked treasure of an app.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and you can link your account to Disney Movies Anywhere, so any Disney movie you buy, that comes with a digital code, will unlock on your MS account too! I wish you could link it to your Ultraviolet account also.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If only they had a subscription model I'd be interested (Though a Roku channel would also be very handy, as I have an HTPC but not everyone does and even for me the old Roku can be useful in other rooms. Everyone else is on Roku including Google (well not Apple, since they make their own Apple TV device of course), but MS is still dragging their heals as ever...). The only problem is, the price would be extortionate. Just look at the price they charge for a music pass (their current streaming offering), it would cost me more than I pay for Netflix as it is! Considering the Music Pass is for audio only, only seems to have music (no audio books, no audio dramas), and even just looking at the amount of data you get for your money it's very poor value compared to Netflix. Highly over priced. Imagine if they added 1080p video to their streaming service, and increased the cost proportionate to the data increase, that would be massive. Even if they just charged double the audio only rate to add SD video and treble for HD video it would still cost a fortune. Heck, just doubling it for SD only would be expensive and could not compete with Netflix.

I would really like to sign up to an MS streaming service, but it would have to be at a sensible price and I don't see them managing that with their current model. I think the fact that they don't allow subscription streaming of their video content is quite telling in this regard.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
A subscription offering might be a nice option, but I don't find Movies and TV's (it really needs a better name) prices to be that out of line. The movie that I was searching for that prompted my original post is a 1967 flick and neither of the other services I use: Netflix or Amazon Prime had it at all. The movie was available on Movies and TV to rent only for $2.99 in SD. There was no HD option, but that didn't surprise me for a film of that vintage. I have found the service offers newer movies in HD for either $14.99 or $19.99 as a for sale option and usually $12.99 or $14.99 in SD. There are often both sale and rent options available, but not always. I'm certain that the studio determines whether the films can be rented or purchased and they obviously prefer a purchase. I like Netflix, but it charges either $11.99 or $9.99 a month for HD and while it has an extensive collection, it does not even offer all of the seasons of some of its TV series. And I want to actually own some movies and TV series.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
For buying video, sure, MS is pretty much the same price as other online retailers. It's their current subscription streaming service that costs a fortune compared to Netflix and yet is audio only with content restricted to certain types of audio (pretty much just music, last time I checked). I'm not really in the market for buying video downloads online as I live next door to a store that will sell me the same on a nice disc. I would like to see an affordable video streaming service from MS, but not if it was based on their current subscription pricing level which is not great as it is and if ramped up proportionately for video would be hugely uncompetitive.

My ideal service would basically be Netflix, with the ability to cache media (especially on the phone), and with some audio book content as well. I could split that, but I can't find a decent subscription audio solution. I'm not sure why there's a lack of audio book/drama subscription streaming services but it is a problem. Also Netflix is useless on the bus etc. as I can't cache.

If Netflix, with their excellent pricing structure, added caching and audio books I would have the perfect system.

Well, there's always Auntie Beeb I suppose. She's always looking out for us. :)~

stjeffy86

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a HUGE movie collection on Movies & TV (Agree it needs a better name) and overall enjoy it a lot. It has come a long way since launch and I think its one of the best options out there. Only problem is it is only available on Microsoft Platforms (One of the few exclusives these days) and although I can remove a title such as 10 min trials from my collection if I restore my purchases they all come back. I would love to be able to permanently delete titles that I never want to show up in my collection again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven