How did my laptop keep the same background after a factory reset?

Morgen Long

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
This isn't really a problem, more of a curiosity. I tried to ask this once but my question kind of disappeared into the void. So I factory reset my asus laptop with windows 10 just a few days ago. About 10-15 minutes ago I noticed (ashamed that I didn't notice this sooner) that my background picture was the exact same as before the factory reset. This is a picture that I downloaded from my Facebook and set as my background. There's no sign of this picture still being saved. It's not in the Pictures file or anywhere else that I can find. So I'm just wondering how/why is it still the background picture even though it should have been deleted when I reset my laptop?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This isn't really a problem, more of a curiosity. I tried to ask this once but my question kind of disappeared into the void. So I factory reset my asus laptop with windows 10 just a few days ago. About 10-15 minutes ago I noticed (ashamed that I didn't notice this sooner) that my background picture was the exact same as before the factory reset. This is a picture that I downloaded from my Facebook and set as my background. There's no sign of this picture still being saved. It's not in the Pictures file or anywhere else that I can find. So I'm just wondering how/why is it still the background picture even though it should have been deleted when I reset my laptop?

It's because you have a setting attached to your Microsoft account to sync personalization settings. So things like lockscreen settings, background settings, and theme settings are all attached to the account. Since you use the same Microsoft account to log into the laptop after you reset it, it used the personalization settings associated with that account.

Morgen Long

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That makes so much sense. I completely forgot that you use your Microsoft account to login. Thank you so much for replying so soon after I posted this.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
It is one of the nice features MS brought to the Windows OS. I like the fact that my IE and Edge favorites can sync this way too.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If you do have multiple PCs however, please note that there are issues with syncing. For example, in the W10 sync settings there's an option to sync 'Other' settings. This includes syncing the mouse settings, which is pretty barmy since each device will usually be using its own mouse/touchpad which will need different settings. For example, if I don't turn on 'Enhance Pointer Precision' and tweak the mouse speed for my laptop that little touch pad is awful to use. Windows then 'helpfully' syncs that to my desktop PC so my Deathadder Chroma goes up the pole. Change it on the desktop, and my laptop touchpad turns to sludge.

There were also issues with theme syncing carrying over taskbar settings from my tablet to my desktop. I have not experimented with that area since the AU though so I will need to.

The message is, watch what you sync because the granularity of the settings is appalling and MS have made some unusual decisions as to what to sync for each group.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happens when you use chrome and you sign on to your google account your saved bookmarks will be shown if you created them previously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss