WP 10 Anniversary - constant data usage

e5115271

May 17, 2016
Visit site
A few days ago I had to do a hard on my Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE as the recent update to the Mail app stopped mail notifications coming through, I removed an email account to see if that would fix it, but then the app wouldn't launch at all - hence the hard reset.

After reinstalling to a backup, the little arrow signifying data transfer blinks on and off every couple of seconds, and my battery now seems to go down faster too.

I've tried:
- Turning battery saver on
- Turning off ALL background apps
- Sync messages between devices is turned off
- ALL Cortana settings including Send notifications between devices is off
- Backup to OneDrive is switched off
- All apps and Windows version is up to date.

And still the data transfer blinks on and off every couple of seconds

I've checked data usage, and nothing seems out of the ordinary except 'System', which has gone from 531Mb after reinstalling everything up to 691Mb - not loads I know, but makes sense if data packets are pinging every few seconds. I know it's not my WiFi network/router as nothing has changed in that regard, and the problem persists on Mobile Data.

Looking at battery data over 24 hours: Edge and Dragon Mania Legends using about 70% combined, Mail at 5%, Tumblr at 5%, Settings at 8% and Start at 5% - is it normal for Settings and Start to be so high?

Any thoughts?

I don't want to spend another evening doing another hard reset after just doing one a few days ago!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Under battery tap battery usage by app then change the setting from "managed by windows" to never allowed in background. See if that helps?

e5115271

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Just tried turning everything with usage in the past 24 hours to never allowed in background , let it settle for 5 minutes and still the data arrow is flicking on and off. :straight:

Another (probably unrelated) thing I've noticed is that the Bing lock screen doesn't automatically update anymore, I have to change to Sample Image, then back to Bing for it to update.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Just tried turning everything with usage in the past 24 hours to never allowed in background , let it settle for 5 minutes and still the data arrow is flicking on and off. :straight:

Another (probably unrelated) thing I've noticed is that the Bing lock screen doesn't automatically update anymore, I have to change to Sample Image, then back to Bing for it to update.

You can't stop that arrow except putting phone in airplane mode; that's normal since ever, phone always move little syncing packets, like a notebook.

Whatsapp itself needs constant data xchange for monitoring, e.g.

Your phone is tryin syncin still updating some core apps. DO you checked if there's anything pending in Store download list?

e5115271

May 17, 2016
Visit site
So 'System' is now up to 819Mb - 130Mb downloaded in under 24 hours. Am guessing something messed up when I reinstalled. I guess I will have to wait for another update and hope that fixes it, or try hard resetting again.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, you can't stop that arrow as Maurizio Torso has stated.

Other than either waiting for a update or a hard reset or clean install I don't what else to suggest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss