Cortana Bug - Try asking her the date - What does she say?

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
One of the most basic and fundamental questions a person may ask cortana is what's the date.

So let's try it.

"what's the date today"

I can't connect at the moment, try again in a little bit.

"What's todays date"

How is this even possible that such a simple, basic fundamental question makes Cortana say she cannot connect?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
One of the most basic and fundamental questions a person may ask cortana is what's the date.

So let's try it.

"what's the date today"

"What's todays date"

How is this even possible that such a simple, basic fundamental question makes Cortana say she cannot connect?

When cortana doesn't undestrand a thing, she says "I'm sorry, I don't undestand" or brings you to Bing directly.
"I can't connect " means there's a internet problem.
Asking Date or Time to Cortana, normally brings to Bing since Win8.1

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
When cortana doesn't undestrand a thing, she says "I'm sorry, I don't undestand" or brings you to Bing directly.
"I can't connect " means there's a internet problem.
Asking Date or Time to Cortana, normally brings to Bing since Win8.1

The funny thing is that Cortana is answering all other questions properly but as soon as she is asked today's date she says that she cannot coonect or the internet and I aren't talking.The very next moment she answers another question sensibly.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing is that Cortana is answering all other questions properly but as soon as she is asked today's date she says that she cannot coonect or the internet and I aren't talking.The very next moment she answers another question sensibly.
On my 650 and 520, she brings to Bing. I left many feeds about that, I would like simply asking the time via earphones without touching the phone.
The same on my notebook

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
The point is there is no internet problem!

I can ask her any other question, before or after this, but asking the "date" she says she can't connect.

Hence why I'm pointing this out as a crazy bug on the most basic of questions.

Oh and I should point out this is using Windows 10 desktop.

I can't believe they don't fix this as it's such an "in your face" problem.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is in the Win 10 desktop section so I asked "Hey Cortana" on my desktop, "What's the date?"

Verbal reply was the correct time and my correct location. Text showed accurate date.

Is this a Windows 10 Mobile question?

My phone reacted exactly the same.

US Region, English (US) language, English (US) Speech on both devices.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Cortana on my 640 (ATT variant) and my Asus 2in1 both with current release ring version of 10 respond correctly to "What is today's date?". If I ask "What is the date?", I am directed to a Bing search page of definitions for the word "date".

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Works but slightly differently. Ask - What's today?

I just tried "what's today" and Cortana replied.... "Oh it's a good one"

I tried it a second time and got the exact same result.

Could the fact I am UK Based be causing different results from others?
What else would cause Cortana to give a different reply to the exact same spoken question for different users?

I can't be a PC Hardware issue, as it's Windows 10 and the words are being correctly identified.
Is Cortana data fed to different servers for different users, hence different replies to the same question?

Oh, and I just tried the same question on my Windows 10 Lumia Phone. (over WiFi)

"what's the date today"

She replied: "sorry I can't connect at the moment, try again in a little bit"

Which is not true as if I ask a different question she answers fine. Nothing to do with any connection

Last edited:

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
It's the same response on my laptop and phone - I can't connect at the moment.But responds to any other question before and after the date question.
When I ask "what's today" I get a bing page on both my phone and laptop like Mach_E has posted.
Region India,Speech English India default and English UK for speech recognition ( as speech recognition is not there with English India)

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
sFXiqVN.jpg

I get this?

Sent from mTalk on Win 10 Phone

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Like a few others, I immediately went "hey cortana" *pause* "what's the date" and received the appropriate reply :)

Running fast ring on me laptop

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
In the UK, "What's the date" gets me Cortana giving me a dictionary definition of the word "Date", if I ask "What's todays date" gets me she can't talk to the internet, "What's today" got me "It's a good one".

Anyone got any other ways of asking the question....................

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" on Desktop & Phone..."what's the date" =
verbal reply from the Lady: "It is "correct time', in 'correct location'"
visual reply on Bing: Day and Date

"Hey Cortana" on Desktop..."what's today" =
"Today is 'correct DAY', 'correct DATE', 29 days from Columbus Day"

950XL, US, DS

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Time" works for me.

Visual of a clock and audio of correct time and location... But only on PC. On the phone she claims she can't connect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion