Windows 10 Won't Save Changes To File History Settings

Sheila Ramon

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
My Windows 10 laptop (v1607, Build 14393.105) is losing free hard disk space and won't let me change the necessary settings to stop it.

I went to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings
Here's what I found:
Save copies of file: Every hour
Keep saved versions: Forever

I made the following changes:
Save copies of files: Daily
Keep saved versions: 1 month

I clicked Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen and closed the dialog.

I went back to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings and the original settings were back.
I clicked on the Open Event Log down below. I get a prompt telling me it's creating a snap-in, which fails every time.

My hard disk's free space is getting smaller and smaller. I don't need this! If I want to back up my data, I'll do it manually. How do I fix this problem?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My Windows 10 laptop (v1607, Build 14393.105) is losing free hard disk space and won't let me change the necessary settings to stop it.

I went to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings
Here's what I found:
Save copies of file: Every hour
Keep saved versions: Forever

I made the following changes:
Save copies of files: Daily
Keep saved versions: 1 month

I clicked Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen and closed the dialog.

I went back to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings and the original settings were back.
I clicked on the Open Event Log down below. I get a prompt telling me it's creating a snap-in, which fails every time.

My hard disk's free space is getting smaller and smaller. I don't need this! If I want to back up my data, I'll do it manually. How do I fix this problem?

When you go to Control PANEL/ File History, on the very first page turn it off. windows saves everything it needs saving on its own. Proof is if you ever do a Restore everything you want is there. Mine is "Off" by default and I'm the same build and OS as you.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Sheila Ramon

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response, Alan. I have File History turn off. I also scanned my computer for viruses and malware and found nothing. Could this be caused by something other than File History?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response, Alan. I have File History turn off. I also scanned my computer for viruses and malware and found nothing. Could this be caused by something other than File History?
I wouldn't think so. But do make it a part of your regimen to keep up with anti-virus and anti-malware.
Somehow that File History setting got turned on. Keep an eye on that for the next week (little less/little more).
Are you part of a Home Group, Work Group, do you share any files with another machine? Other users?

Peace. Alan

Sheila Ramon

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm not part of any home group or work group, but I'll do another virus scan and hopefully I'll uncover something that may be the cause. My copy of Windows 10 is the upgrade that Microsoft rolled out start July 19th of last year.

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not part of any home group or work group, but I'll do another virus scan and hopefully I'll uncover something that may be the cause. My copy of Windows 10 is the upgrade that Microsoft rolled out start July 19th of last year.
Ok, maybe you inadvertently triggered that setting during the Windows 10 install.
Just keep an eye on that setting and make sure it doesn't switch back.
I just thought as I was editing this - How do you plan to recover all that used up drive space? Are the files "clearly" identified in Windows Explorer and you can simply delete them?

Peace. Alan

Last edited:

Sheila Ramon

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Nope, my computer was tied up during the install and I wasn't able to do anything but wait for the install to finish. As for the files, Windows Explorer doesn't seem to give me any indication that duplicates or backups are being created. If they are being created, I don't know where they are.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope, my computer was tied up during the install and I wasn't able to do anything but wait for the install to finish. As for the files, Windows Explorer doesn't seem to give me any indication that duplicates or backups are being created. If they are being created, I don't know where they are.
So what's the deal with the vanishing free space on your HD? Is the free space appropriate now?

Peace. Alan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss