Endless loop... Microsoft account / outlook.com

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Background:
My Microsoft account was originally setup using a non-microsoft domain email address and then I added an outlook.com alias. The non-microsoft domain email address was always set to primary and it worked fine. Email and calendar used the alias, everything else used the primary.

Apparently yesterday, Microsoft upgraded my outlook.com account and now everything is messed up. I noticed yesterday that email and calendar didn?t sync on my phone for 13 hours. Tried to manually sync and get and error saying I can?t do that right now. Tried outlook.com on my computer and get a page saying: something went wrong and then some cryptic error code. Left it for the night figuring it was down. Checked this morning and still errors out. Down for 21 hours? I figured no way.

Started doing some searches and found out that once Microsoft upgrades your outlook.com account, if you?re using a non-microsoft domain email address for your Microsoft account then you have to switch your outlook.com alias to the primary user.

Ok, so I log into my Microsoft account and set my outlook.com alias as the primary user. I try outlook.com again it logged me right in this time. Checked my calendar and saw it wasn?t syncing with the calendar app on my computer. Reboot try calendar again, still not syncing. (Web calendar and app calendar were out of sync) Checked my win10 phone and email and calendar were still not working. Same error. Reboot phone, same error. I could however still access people and all my contacts where there on my phone.

Figured ok, I have to add the outlook.com alias account on my phone too, along with the non-microsoft domain email account it was already using. Do that and still mail and calendar, not working on phone. Figured let me delete the non-microsoft domain Microsoft account from phone. Did that and outlook and calendar still not syncing, same error, and now people doesn?t sync either. All my contacts are gone.

Figured let me try adding the non-microsoft domain email Microsoft account back to phone, but it won?t let me. Says it?s successful, but only the alias shows as an account on the phone. Still same error for mail, calendar, and people.

Ok, let me try changing the primary user back to the non-microsoft email address, delete the outlook.com account from phone and add the non Microsoft domain account back and see if people/contacts on phone come back. Nope still gone and now email and calendar on computer give the something went wrong error again.

Ok, let me switch the primary user back to the outlook alias so at least I can get email and calendar on my computer. Nope Microsoft says I changed the primary user too many times this week, try again next week. WTF. Are you F?ing kidding me?..

Now I can?t access email, calendar or people on my computer or my phone and I can?t change the primary user to at least get it working on my computer. WTH is wrong with Microsoft. I?m now caught in an endless loop of stupidity. I have important emails in my outlook folders, important calendar events and I can?t remember them all, and I can?t access any contacts. (luckily I wrote all my contacts down in an excel spreadsheet, but it?s about 100 of them, I don?t have 5 days to spend putting them back)

I?m at a loss as to what to do now. Microsoft online support was no help either. Do I have to create a new Microsoft account and start all over again? If so, that might be the end for me?. Maybe time to switch to iPhone and apple services.

Any suggestions???. ?????

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You probably won't like this and I have no proof that it will actually work.. I think a hard reset without restoring from backup is in order...

This will allow you to set up the phone from scratch which should give you the freedom to add the alias as the primary.

From that point it's easy enough to import contacts from an excel sheet into Outlook: Import contacts via csv file but email addresses missing - Microsoft Community

There are other links as well.. this is just an example

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
You probably won't like this and I have no proof that it will actually work.. I think a hard reset without restoring from backup is in order...

This will allow you to set up the phone from scratch which should give you the freedom to add the alias as the primary.

From that point it's easy enough to import contacts from an excel sheet into Outlook: Import contacts via csv file but email addresses missing - Microsoft Community

There are other links as well.. this is just an example

Thanks for the info.

I don't mind doing a hard reset for the phone, but I can't get into outlook.com, calendar, or people on my computer either. Or any computer for that matter, even tried on a windows 7 computer. I get the same "something went wrong" error message when I try to sign into outlook.com or outlook.com/owa or outlook.live.com using either the primary user or the alias. I need it to work on my computer and phone. I can however get into one drive, one note, and my Microsoft account settings page. The "upgrade" to my outlook.com account that MS did really messed up my account.

While I could hard reset the phone and sign in and set it up with the outlook.com alias I guessing it still won't work because the non-Microsoft domain account is still primary in my Microsoft account. And any attempts to change the primary in the Microsoft account settings page now tells me I changed it to many times this week, try again next week. Even if that did work and the phone started working correctly, then what about the computer. Wait a whole week to try and change the primary again and hope the computer starts working again?

As for the csv import option....... I have no idea what the format of the csv should be. My excel sheet I created, it wasn't exported from outlook.com and since I can't get into outlook.com or people I can't get export anything for a sample. The link you provided didn't show a sample of the format either.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Your calendar is set with the old non-Microsoft account, so if possible, continue using that as your main account. If anything, go to Microsoft support and chat with live agent to reset changing your main accounts. I continue using my yahoo account as my main. My outlook is my secondary.

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Your calendar is set with the old non-Microsoft account, so if possible, continue using that as your main account. If anything, go to Microsoft support and chat with live agent to reset changing your main accounts. I continue using my yahoo account as my main. My outlook is my secondary.

Thanks, that what I'm going to try to do. I'm waiting in line for a live agent right now.

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I use a non Outlook email for my MS account and I don't have any issues.

Do you have a outlook.com alias and if so is it set to your primary alias? Was your outlook.com account upgraded yet? I had no issues until MS upgraded mine. There's a new webmail interface, different layout, new features. I think online calendar and people are a bit different too. I read in the Microsoft forums that some people who had a non Microsoft email set as there primary alias had issues.

My MS account works fine, it's just email, calendar, and people. All other MS services work fine. I did setup my Microsoft account about 13 years ago (2003), to use with MS Messenger on windows XP, and have been using the same one ever since. Not sure if that has anything to do with it as well.

If you're setup like me, got upgraded already, and everything works fine then that's good to know. Guess I was one of the few unlucky ones.

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Update: MS support was no help. I ended up creating a new Microsoft account. Took me all weekend to get everything set back up and to update my new email address on everything I use online, but it's all working fine now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05